Pulling 187 tons with a Chevy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Wait until he starts going downhill and then has to stop...

That's why trailers have brakes.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Back when they were built to last. JMO

I had a new Chevy Scottsdale 1/2 ton in 1978. GM had camshaft problems back in the day, and I had to replace mine just out of warranty. It had rust through in the rocker panels and fender wells after only 5 years. I had a cheap paint job done, and sold it in 1984. Worst vehicle I have ever owned and the 3504V barely had enough power to get out of it's own way. GM lost a class action lawsuit for knowingly installing defective camshafts in their 350 engines [camshafts were soft and wore prematurely] but my truck was long gone when a settlement was reached.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

I had a new Chevy Scottsdale 1/2 ton in 1978. GM had camshaft problems back in the day, and I had to replace mine just out of warranty. It had rust through in the rocker panels and fender wells after only 5 years. I had a cheap paint job done, and sold it in 1984. Worst vehicle I have ever owned and the 3504V barely had enough power to get out of it's own way. GM lost a class action lawsuit for knowingly installing defective camshafts in their 350 engines [camshafts were soft and wore prematurely] but my truck was long gone when a settlement was reached.

I would have to agree with gman. These were terrible years for some trucks.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Going downhill ?

Use the same gear going down as you would going up.

With 187 tons behind a Chevy PU? I doubt it will help do much engine braking.

I thought of that right after I posted it.

However, the "same gear up and down" has to be good truck driving advice {at least} some of the time as a trucker told it to me.

Those were good looking trucks with good looking paint schemes. I wish they would bring paint like that back - I'm getting tired of metallics.

Also love the soundtrack!

Originally Posted By: Kira
I thought of that right after I posted it.

However, the "same gear up and down" has to be good truck driving advice {at least} some of the time as a trucker told it to me.

It is good advise for people towing loads up to the recommended rating of the vehicle. In this case all bets are off.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Maybe it was the camera angle, but it shore looked like it was on a small slope to me.

It sure looked that way.

Quite the opposite really. As simple as those old trucks were, they sure had their share of things going wrong before hitting 100K.
Sure they were simple and any moron could fix them, but you could count on the alternator, water pump, starter, electronic ignition module, half a dozen leaking gaskets... to go bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Quite the opposite really. As simple as those old trucks were, they sure had their share of things going wrong before hitting 100K.
Sure they were simple and any moron could fix them, but you could count on the alternator, water pump starter, leaking gaskets........ .

Not from what I saw that is why I said "JMO"
thumbsup2.gif

Remember a couple of years ago Toyota had a commercial with their Tundra pulling a space shuttle? Any 3/4 ton truck with comparable equipment from that era could have done the same. It's called "marketing".

They were simple and easy to work on, but definitely not built to last. Any Chevy truck made in the last 10 years will run for much longer than one of those old trucks, with far less work done to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back