ecore stopped ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Chevy 1500 4.8 vortec, I've been maintaining it since its had 40k miles and it now has 139k. I usually use Napa Gold, Fram Tough Guard or Ultra filters. It has always had a ticking sound from what seems like the bottom end for as long as I've been servicing it. It does it when the engine is cold, or fully warm all the time, whether the oil was freshly changed or had 5k miles on it. It has never hurt anything, but its noticeable. I've always been hesitant to run Ecore filters on it, I never have. I heard that Ecore filters offer better flow. I changed the oil in it last week with some ST Dexos 5W30 and a TG filter, tick was till there. Yesterday it had about 200 miles on the oil since I changed it, I decided to pull the Fram off and put an AcDelco PF48E. I had my buddy start it the next morning when the engine was cold and it had absolutely no ticking sound, we let it run for a good 5 minutes. Could it be that the Ecore filter really solved the ticking problem and parts of the engine were getting reduced oil flow with the other filters?

Last edited:
What ever worked for you is great.

However-ticking is a common compliant on these trucks. Most who complain have the 5.3. The "tick" seems to go away when warm-for most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Could it be that the Ecore filter really solved the ticking problem and parts of the engine were getting reduced oil flow with the other filters?

I doubt it, unless this vehicle has some kind of volume on demand type oil pump. It probably has an old fashioned positive displacement oil pump, which would still deliver the same volume even if a filter was slightly more flow restrictive.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I doubt it,

That's your problem right there sir -- you doubt everything.

It's time to open your heart and start believing !
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I doubt it,

That's your problem right there sir -- you doubt everything.

It's time to open your heart and start believing !
grin2.gif

LoL ... not everything.
grin.gif

It could have very well stopped the ticking.

My Jeep of all things seems to prefer Fram filters and will tick on others I have tried. Quite frustrating actually as I like having a variety to choose from.
21.gif

Over the past decade trying to fix MY engine noise issues, I've (surprisingly) found filters to be the biggest problem with engine noise with fuel 2nd.

M1 EP FILTERS ARE CHAMP LABS NON-ECORE BUT THEY ARE PRICEY.

DONT FORGET ABOUT OIL PUMP BYPASS AND PRESSURE RELIEF VALVES. whatever THE RESTRICTION BE IT FILTER OR OIL GALLERIES WITH COLD OIL, ITs GOING TO LIMIT pMAX.

dang caps lock strikes again - sorry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back