Royal Purple Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys i came across this youtube video showing a comparison between these synthetics and Royal purple to my surprise came in one of the last in terms of flow in cold temperatures. I was planning on running with royal purple in my suzuki sx4 for the winter up here in Northern Canada. Now i'm second guessing my choice. Would you guys agree there's better oil brands for cold temperature winter use?

Heres the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

If you are worried about cold start definitely use a 0w instead of 5w. RP is overpriced, I prefer Valvoline or M1 any day

You may also look into an ester based synthetic as they have superior cold pour points in many comparisons.
0W-30 is impressive for cold pour point. Noack is better with the 5W-30 but probably isn't as much of a concern with those cold temperatures. Mobil 1 is great and cheaper than Red Line but doesn't match its cold pour performace per published specifications.
https://www.redlineoil.com/0w30-motor-oil

Up there, I'd be all over 0W oils
smile.gif

And no, I would not use RP ...

Last edited:
I just put the royal purple about a month ago with a new oil filter. Can i drain the rp and pore in the mobil 1 and leave the oil filter on place without changing it yet? Can the mobil mix with a bit of the rp that was left in the oil filter? Or do i need to do a complete oil change?

Bit upset about buying 5- 5 liter jugs of this royal purple a few weeks back.

Originally Posted By: Tony67
I just put the royal purple about a month ago with a new oil filter. Can i drain the rp and pore in the mobil 1 and leave the oil filter on place without changing it yet? Can the mobil mix with a bit of the rp that was left in the oil filter? Or do i need to do a complete oil change?

Bit upset about buying 5- 5 liter jugs of this royal purple a few weeks back.

It's fine to leave the filter on. Personally, I wouldn't extend the oil change very far, but there won't be any damage done by mixing the two oils.

To be honest, I wouldn't even dump the RP just yet. I would run it out until the first time the temperature hit -10 degrees F or so, then take it some place to have them change the oil for me because that's just too dang cold!
08.gif
That should give you another month or so and wouldn't be as much of a waste of oil.

Last edited:
If you go to the product specs on 0w20 or 0w30 Mobil 1 ~ they tend to show rotary test values (MRV and cranking tests) …

I’d just run a 0w in winter and until time to change oil. How much do you drive in a year? Can you use the RP part of the year?

LOL, went to have a look at their Product Data Sheet to comment on what's pretty obvious within it, and you have to create an account to view it...makes linking to it pretty hard.

When you look at their data sheets, most of it has pretty rubbish pour points and cold temperature performnace in some grades, leading one to the point of view that their 0W40 in particular IS synthetic, while a bunch of their other grades IN THE SAME LINE are more GrIII than anything else.

That's not a hater talking...that's a data sheet.

A data sheet that you have to sign up to see...

They are a joke...

Oh, but regardless...if you need -40C performance, you need a 0W...they are actually rated for that.

My car has an oil pump so I'm not too sure how relevant that video is...

I'm assuming you have some sort of pan or block heater?

I'd leave the RP in.

While I was in warranty, I preferred to use 5W30 because that was what Subaru recommended. Somebody pointed me to this cool list of 5W30 synthetic VOAs (that is, unfortunately, almost 5 years old now and hasn't been updated) and I saw that RP was not one of the stronger CCS performers.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

So RP 5W30 was about 40% thicker than M1 in the CCS test...probably not the end of the world, but I thought it could be noticeable on a really cold night during a ski trip to the Whites with my car parked outside (which I do most weekends in season). There were other things about the M1 formulation that I liked, so it was an easy choice for me to pick that over RP and even save some money.

Now that I'm out of warranty, I am very comfortable with using a 0W30 and probably will do so in December...not sure yet what I'm going to use, though. I have been keeping an eye out for the new M1 0W30 AFE bottles with a dexos1 Gen 2 license, haven't seen them yet.

Last edited:
Watching that RP snake out of the bottle makes me think of blueberry soft serve...
;^)

Such weird choices they made...why is Supertech the only conventional? Why the HM version of M1?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
For that kind of money, buy some real synthetic oil -- Conklin.

You made me curious and I downloaded the sell sheet for Conklin's Convoy 5W30.
First of all, it is labelled as a parasynthetic oil, which sounds like a fancy way of saying a blend (which is fine).
Then it says the pour point is -20C...given that a 5W30 must be CCS tested at -30C and MRV tested at -35C, that sounds kind of weird.
Finally, they claim a flash point of 416C (780F)...given that ~250C seems to be an exceptional flash point for a full synthetic 5W30, I'm not buying that at all.
Might be a great oil, but their numbers don't make sense to me, so I inherently don't trust Conklin.

Originally Posted By: Tony67
hi guys i came across this youtube video showing a comparison between these synthetics and Royal purple to my surprise came in one of the last in terms of flow in cold temperatures. I was planning on running with royal purple in my suzuki sx4 for the winter up here in Northern Canada. Now i'm second guessing my choice. Would you guys agree there's better oil brands for cold temperature winter use?

Heres the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

My Aunt lived in Leaf Rapids for decades before the mining community fell apart and they moved to Ontario. They always ran M1 synthetic in their cars in the brutally cold winters because of the unforgiving drive between them and Thompson. Trust me you want cold flow where you are.

If you are ok with oils like Amsoil or Redline they have great cold properties.

I would use a 0w20 if you can in the winter there or a 0w30.

08.gif

Last edited:
I don't always plug the block heater in (or ever) and at work sometimes it sits outside in do freezing weather for 6-8 hours. My driving is a mix of city and highway.

I can just see this purple oil giving me long term engine issues if i continue using it in winter months. It's going to put a strain on the top part of the engine until the oil warms up which will be too late to avoid damage and i'll starvation for 5 minutes approx. Also put a strain on bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back