VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
No tune. I want to keep my warranty and mpg (although most report good hwy mileage still, with tunes). The JB4 does look interesting, but I've also read stock clutches don't last long with tunes for both the 1.8T and GTI, so that will make me hold off.
Running M1 0w40 (stocked up with rebates last year)

OBDeleven:
https://shopdap.com/store/vw-audi-scan-tool-obdeleven.html
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTG9K9I/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I think I bought mine off ebay, before DAP carried it. Lots of info on various "tweaks" that you can do. Worth the $60 if you like to tinker.

I can't believe the AWD is knocking hwy mileage down by 20%. I can see if for the slightly taller and heavier Alltrack, so hopefully you can easily beat 30 on hwy trips...

Report back with how do/don't like it after you get some miles on.

MPG related update: I have finally been driving some 40 miles each way highway runs again. 200 miles: 5.39 gallons 37.1 mpg hand calc. That was 4x40 mile trips and 4x10 mile trips. Each return trip the wagon was loaded down and in heavy traffic. Car was saying high 40s to low 50s on a highway run. Changes have been michelin X-Ice tires on stock wheels, M1 0W40 with a shot of liquimoly MOS2, premium gas for several tanks. These results were not by driving slow, this was flow of traffic cruise control driving. Who needs a diesel?! I'm going to miss these high MPGs when my summer wheels go back on.

Hey guys my 2017 Sportwagen 6A/T is due for its 10,000 mile service to have the factory fill drained. I want to go to a synthetic right from the get go. I see dareo is on M1 0W40 and I was thinking the same, just wanted to run it by the board and see if yall agree. Thanks.

The specification you want to see on the oil bottle is VW 502.00. M1 0W40 meets that, as does Castrol 0W40. I believe the cap on mine even says Castrol. If i didn't provide my own oil at its first official OCI, the dealer was going to put some bulk castrol 5w30 in it. You should be fine with any 502.00 approved oil.

29k miles now

Lifetime mpg has now crept up to 37.97

Just took a road trip and kept speed to 65 for most and up to 75 going with traffic. Also topped my tires to 40 psi before leaving.
Tank 506 mi, 43.67 mpg (actual not 'computer' estimate)

EPA rated 25/35

MPG has been everything I was hoping for!
Earlier in Oct we took a long road trip-loop, out to Indian Creek, UT (near Canyonlands) - 41 mpg average over 5 fillups. That included a heavily loaded down wagon (nothing on top though), and speeds up to 80mph in AZ/UT.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
29k miles now

Lifetime mpg has now crept up to 37.97

Just took a road trip and kept speed to 65 for most and up to 75 going with traffic. Also topped my tires to 40 psi before leaving.
Tank 506 mi, 43.67 mpg (actual not 'computer' estimate)

EPA rated 25/35

MPG has been everything I was hoping for!
Earlier in Oct we took a long road trip-loop, out to Indian Creek, UT (near Canyonlands) - 41 mpg average over 5 fillups. That included a heavily loaded down wagon (nothing on top though), and speeds up to 80mph in AZ/UT.
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why anyone would want a TDI at this point. Still a lot of guys on TDIclub want one after the buyback, when they can get a gas one and fill up for less, get about as good as mpg, have no timing belt, and no DPF or HPFP issues.

You also get fully independent suspension on the gas Golf but not the diesel for some reason. Close enough MPG and better power makes me forget my beloved diesel VWs of yesterdecade.

Nice mileage Surfstar! I'm only getting like 28 mpg right now on some 18" audi wheels and a 28 minute 12 mile city commute.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why anyone would want a TDI at this point. Still a lot of guys on TDIclub want one after the buyback, when they can get a gas one and fill up for less, get about as good as mpg, have no timing belt, and no DPF or HPFP issues.

Even with the "new" 2015 TDIs that had $5k off MSRP or $8500 w/ lease, it didn't really save any money vs a TSI. Especially when you consider: fuel filter changes, timing belt, DSG maintenance (if you don't buy a manual), + incr cost of diesel - CA gas tax just went up .12/gal for gas and .20 for diesel. Even if I assume I could beat EPA and average 50mpg with a TDI, it was roughly even, cost-wise. (and the 2015s don't have android auto/carplay and only came with the fake leather seats that I did not like)
I'm still running numbers to see if my mom's high mileage commuting would pay off, and the one saving grace the TDI has that could tip the scales in its favor: resale. If these "last TDIs" hold their value, it would make owning one cheaper; once you've sold it, that is.

The instant torque of the TDI is pretty nice, though. I drove a couple around a bit, and while the TSI is torque-y for a gasser, it isn't the same. At the same time the TDI runs out of breath very quickly. They're both great engines, and I hope I have the less complex, more economical one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back