Woodworking advice - chair seat rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out how to repair this chair. It's a pretty nice Shaker Workshops chair, so I don't want to toss it or butcher it.

The top right side rail is broken about 1/2 way along the length, as you can see. I am having no luck finding any online resource about the best way to do this. I have two thoughts on my own (I am not a woodworker):

1) Turn a new rail. Unstitch the seat tape, cut off the rail and drill out the dowel, replace. That also means somehow separating the lower rails to make room, so I don't think that sounds very easy.

2) Slide the tape a little bit (It has some play), inject wood glue. Clamp for a day. Then, put a metal brace with countersunk screw holes in it lengthwise under the rail, drill screw holes and secure it as a brace. I think this would be invisible and secure, and less cost and effort than 1).

Any ideas? Or places to get advice on this topic?

I would lean towards a new rail or whatever it is called. There is no guarantee the other fix will work and that’s a splint job more or less.

I’ve heard of a store in Seattle called Rockler. They might be able to help you or know someone who can. They specialize in woodworking and exotic woods.

Enjoy the snowfall. Pretty but not much accumulation.

I think you need to find a wood worker near you. It really needs a new piece turned. The Apron( not sure if thats right here since its round, spindle?) might could be cut , drilled and a steel rod inserted, but you would still need to replace the bad wood that was cut out. Easier to have someone turn a new one.

Call around , and take them the whole chair.

It depends on the glue used to assemble in the first place ... IF it can be softened (?), then the chair can be spread and a new rail installed. If it's polyurethane glue, all bets are off.

Where did you get it? Can you find the MFG? Can you get it Shaker shop? They might know how/who made it ... Maybe can repair
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back