Oil/filter for a 2017 3.6 Chev Impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Hi all. I just purchased this car yesterday, a 2017 Impala Premier with the 3.6, and I am curious what oil/filter I should use?
Come to think of it, I am not even sure of the weight, but I assume 10W-30? I have exclusively run Pennzoil 5W-20 platinum full synthetic in my 13 Ram Hemi after reading about it in here back in 13.

Should I continue down that road with our new (to us) 2017 Impala? The car has just over 20,000 km's (12,500 miles) on it and the dealer is going to do an oil change on it (he says) before we pick it up. It was purchased at a Ford dealer by the way so I assume Ford oil will be used? I'm anal and not knowing the oil they will likely use, I'll likely change it out at the first chance I get, or am I just being silly?

Thanks in advance.

Irv

You need something that is dexos1. I'm not sure whether your car calls for 5w30 or 5w20 or 0w20, but probably one of those. The PP 5w20 is probably ok to use in your new Impala too.

For the filter, use Wix, Wix XP, or Fram Ultra

I have a 2013 with the same engine. I have used both Mobil 1 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. No real difference between the two. For a filter I have used the AC Delco non ecore. They are probably getting harder to find (think ebay). I have no proof the Ecore is inferior, after all the dealerships are using them, but I just decided being an old man I would stick with "old school". LOL. I bought a case shortly after buying the car and have just about used them up. I might move on to a Fram Ultra next.

I just got back from a 3,000 mile road trip in my Impala. The car ran great, handle very well in all sorts of weather. Got as high as 32.9 MPG on one tankful, averaged just under 30 MPG for the entire trip.

I found the computer MPG calculator to be extremely accurate. Usually it was within a couple of tenths of a MPG of the "hand figured" numbers. On a couple of tankfuls, the numbers were exactly the same.

Edit: According to the owners manual, the 3.6 V6 still uses 5W-30. The 2.5 L4 uses 5W-20 oil, meeting Dexos 1 specification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You need something that is dexos1. I'm not sure whether your car calls for 5w30 or 5w20 or 0w20, but probably one of those. The PP 5w20 is probably ok to use in your new Impala too.

For the filter, use Wix, Wix XP, or Fram Ultra

Thanks. I do remember reading Dexos on the filler cap when I was inspecting/looking under the hood. If I recall correctly, but will verify first before purchase, I think I read 5W-30, but it might have read 10W, I can't remember?

I currently use CarQuest Premium Filters on my Hemi, so I may look into one of those for this Impala too? Heard and read, they are great filters and are made by Wix anyways?
Will the PP be Dexos compatible and OK to use or do I need something entirely different because of the Dexos requirement?
Thanks!

A new Chevy will run a Dexos1 oil. It's the GM oil spec and many oils carry that spec M1, Edge, Magnatec, PP, Synpower etc

What weight / grade does the manual say ?

Also does the manual say anything about Dexos1 - Generation 2 ? As they have just brought out Gen2 of Dexos and it will be good to know which generation you requie. The Gen2 stuff is backwards compatible with Gen1 stuff, so this is always a safe bet to go Gen2. But it may not be required and it's sounds like Gen1 stuff is easier to find right now, but this should soon change as they roll out the new generation of Dexos.

Originally Posted By: SR5
A new Chevy will run a Dexos1 oil. It's the GM oil spec and many oils carry that spec M1, Edge, Magnatec, PP, Synpower etc

Also does the manual say anything about Dexos1 - Generation 2 ? As they have just brought out Gen2 of Dexos and it will be good to know which generation you requie. The Gen2 stuff is backwards compatible with Gen1 stuff, so this is always a safe bet to go Gen2. But it may not be required and it's sounds like Gen1 stuff is easier to find right now, but this should soon change as they roll out the new generation of Dexos.

From page 257: "Specification:
Ask for and use engine oils that
meet the dexos1

specification.
Engine oils that have been
approved by GM as meeting the
dexos1 specification are marked
with the dexos1 approved logo. See
www.gmdexos.com."

"Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade
engine oil for the 3.6L V6 engine.

Vehicle Care
Use SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade
engine oil for the 2.5L L4 engine.
SAE 0W-20 may be used as an
alternative."

Sorry don't know how to take a screen shot of a pdf file, so I did a cut and paste. Hope this helps answer the questions.

Last edited:

Also does the manual say anything about Dexos1 - Generation 2 ? As they have just brought out Gen2 of Dexos and it will be good to know which generation you require. The Gen2 stuff is backwards compatible with Gen1 stuff, so this is always a safe bet to go Gen2. But it may not be required and it's sounds like Gen1 stuff is easier to find right now, but this should soon change as they roll out the new generation of Dexos.

I don't have the manual as I don't get the car until Wednesday, but I should have grabbed it yesterday but it didn't even cross my mind! (Bang head!)

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

From page 257: "Specification:
Ask for and use engine oils that
meet the dexos1

specification.
Engine oils that have been
approved by GM as meeting the
dexos1 specification are marked
with the dexos1 approved logo. See
www.gmdexos.com."

"Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade
engine oil for the 3.6L V6 engine.

Vehicle Care
Use SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade
engine oil for the 2.5L L4 engine.
SAE 0W-20 may be used as an
alternative."

Sorry don't know how to take a screen shot of a pdf file, so I did a cut and paste. Hope this helps answer the questions.

That's a great Help! Thanks!

Thanks mate.

Sounds like a 5W-30 Dexos1 oil for the OP's car.

OP if you like PP then Pennzoil Plat 5W30 is a very good oil. It's certainly Dexos1 - Gen1, and if it's not Gen2 now then it very soon will be. It's also carries Euro A5/B5 which is a very high quality oil standard.

I guess, like all manufacturers, they really try and peddle their own stuff. I don't think I'd have any issues using it but experience tells me it is likely expensive and likely not any better than what you can buy elsewhere for cheaper?
http://www.gmdexos.com/owner/

I will ask the Ford dealer Wednesday if they used Dexos oil in it? LOL. Like I mentioned, I'll likely change it out anyways just for peace of mind know the right stuff and the right amount are in there.
http://www.colonyfordlincoln.com/used/Ch...ba6cf2a2c4b.htm

Thanks mate.

Sounds like a 5W-30 Dexos1 oil for the OP's car.

OP if you like PP then Pennzoil Plat 5W30 is a very good oil. It's certainly Dexos1 - Gen1, and if it's not Gen2 now then it very soon will be. It's also carries Euro A5/B5 which is a very high quality oil standard.

That's good to know! Thank you very much!

I have the GM 3.6 in my 2017 GMC Canyon and I think it is the same family of motor at your Impala. It calls for a 5W-30 Dexos rated oil. I used Pennzoil Semi Synthetic for my first change but will use full synthetic from now on. My engine does not use a spin on filter. It has the filter housing mounted on top of the engine and uses a cartridge type filter. I ordered a case of Delco jobber filters from Amazon.

Greetings.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using the Dexos 1 spec oil in your 3.6.
It's Direct Injection with a very stout compression ratio.

The Dexos 1 spec is designed to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) among other things.

LSPI is a real concern with the combination of Direct Injection and high compression.

Good day.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Greetings.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using the Dexos 1 spec oil in your 3.6.
It's Direct Injection with a very stout compression ratio.

The Dexos 1 spec is designed to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) among other things.

LSPI is a real concern with the combination of Direct Injection and high compression.

Good day.

Thanks everyone.
I will be, or plan to use the 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum in this car. I did some reading and it will fine in this engine where Dexos oil is required.
Is it still the case, that Pennzoil (usually) receives better UOA's than Mobil-1? When I started using PP, that was one of the main reasons why, and being a previous Mobil user, I also thought the PP made my truck run smoother/quieter, but that could all be in my head?
Either way, PP is cheaper (when on sale) than what Mobil-1 is when it is on sale so that is likely what I'll stick with?

What are the benefits of Pennzoil Platinum®: Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology™?

Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology™ delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION, including:

Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 30% cleaner than the toughest industry standards.1 Additionally, keeps pistons up to 8% cleaner than Mobil 1 and up to 17% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®2
Better Fuel Economy: Drives on average an extra 880 kilometers per year, vs. a dirty engine3
Horsepower Protection: Helps protect engines from loss of power
Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction4
Excellent Performance in Extreme Temperatures: Provides faster low temperature oil flow and protects in extreme heat
Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlus Technology™ is also:

Backed by 10 year/800,000 kilometer Lubrication Limited Warranty

Originally Posted By: irv
Thanks everyone.
I will be, or plan to use the 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum in this car.

That will work fine.

I checked the GM Dexos1- Gen2 list for 5W30 oils, and Pennzoil Platinum is listed there, no problems.

For the casual reader also listed is: ACDelco full syn., Castrol Edge, Castrol GTX Magnatec, Kendall GT-1 full syn., Lubrigold Full Syn., MAG 1, Mobil 1, Mobil Super Syn., NAPA Full Syn., Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Gold, Quaker State UD, Valvoline Durablend, Valvoline SynPower, Nulon Full Syn (Go Aussie), and many others.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

All the usual suspects are there.

I picked up 2, 5 Litre jugs of Pennzoil Platinum last night at CDN Tire. They were on sale at $39.97 and I think it was the last day for the sale? Just need to get a good filter today and hopefully I can do an oil change this week-end? I noticed last night, when we were bringing the car home, if the dealer "did" change the oil, they forgot to re-set the oil change interval. My gut tells me they didn't as it show 47% oil life remaining and they are a Ford dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back