195-55-16 instead of 205-55-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go with 195/60 if they make it.

Another issue would be load range if it's less than the car calls for.

Agreed. If not, the 195/55 would likely be of no concern.
Narrower is generally better for snow.
The OP should do as you recommend and ensure that the weight capacity of the tires he proposes to use is adequate for the maximum front and rear axle maximum rated weights of the car as can be seen on the placard located on the driver's door jam.

What year is your Corolla?
smile.gif

I know that 205/55-16 is a very common size, which means you will have much more options

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I know that 205/55-16 is a very common size, which means you will have much more options

It's a 2012. I just found a like new set of sno tires P195-55-16 at a very good price. Otherwise I would go with the stock P205-55-16.

What tire is it?

For 205/55-16, there's the Hankook iCept evo2 W320 for only $87 each from Simple Tire .

I also found the ContiWinterContact TS830P to be cheaper in 205/55 than in 195/55.

What tire is it?

For 205/55-16, there's the Hankook iCept evo2 W320 for only $87 each from Simple Tire .

I also found the ContiWinterContact TS830P to be cheaper in 205/55 than in 195/55.

Toyo Observe studless less than 500 miles. Set of 4 $150.

Originally Posted By: Corollaman

So they're used, *and* the wrong size?
31.gif

And like others have said, the smaller tires will have a lower load rating, which may be unsafe.

I'd do some research on what the lowest load rated tire that you gen of corolla came with, and if your tires you want come close you should be fine.
Do you have to run 85 mph with a 1000lbs in your car ever? If so, then get the spec'd tire, but if its just you going to work then one size down should be be fine. Just keep an eye on your tire pressures as you are running slightly closer to the edge of their load envelope.

I would check the DOT code on those used tires as well. It might be getting older and the rubber may be getting harder and losing traction. Might be good for another year or two, for which it might still be a decent deal, you'd have to evaluate that.

Going to down in size is not a good idea.

The reduced load carrying capacity also means a greater likelihood of a tire failure. It also means less fuel economy.

smile.gif

It's a 2012. I just found a like new set of sno tires P195-55-16 at a very good price. Otherwise I would go with the stock P205-55-16.

You may install this P195/55R16 at a higher inflation pressure than a P205/55R16 for equivalent OEM load.
Btw, what's the recommended pressure for ori P205/55R16 at placard, and it's load index as on tire sidewall ?

Last edited:
The problem is that some tire shops will not install a tire with lower-than-OE load spec. For that matter, some shops will not install a non-OE size tire even if it does meet the load (and speed) spec. And as far as I know, no one makes a 195/60R16 tire.

With all that said, I would not hesitate to run the 195/55R16 winter tires if you can find a shop to install them, AND if they pass inspection from both you and a tire pro; they have lot of good tread left; you bump up the pressure a few psi; and you plan to drive conservatively, seldom if ever getting near the weight limit for your vehicle. Also be aware the speedometer and odometer will be off, slightly.

That's a lot of ifs but if you take all that into account I think you are good to go.

Says who, the seller? Look their specs (including original tread depth) up online and bring a tread gauge.

I got 4x Champiros in 195/65/15 brand new after rebates for $109 last year and bet it could be repeated this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back