Amoco making a resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
BP is bringing back Amoco stations, (at the "end of 2017") according to their website. It looks like they're supplementing the BP stations, maybe trying to gain market share? The station graphics look quite similar to BP's but use blue and red instead of green. The "Invigorate" logo is identical but blue. They haven't had any stations 15-20 years. But BP's premium is called "Amoco Ultimate". Also, the logo is the same torch and flame it used to be but slightly "airbrushed" or modernized.

https://www.bp.com/en_us/bp-us/media-roo...el-network.html

Last edited:
That could be a tactic to bring back customers put off by the Gulf oil spill associated with the BP name.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but about 7 years late. An interesting decision, I think.

Nah, this is BP, British Petroleum, (headquartered in London, BTW) jumping on the Make America Great Again bandwagon, fooling the sheeple into thinking they are indeed, buying American.
Only the name has been changed to protect the innocent (or guilty oil spilling party) .

When I first moved to St. Louis in 2007, I remember seeing this GIGANTIC Amoco sign as you went west on I-64 through the city. You could see it a mile away. I used to stop there just for the heck of it and get gas, just because it was a brand I'd never used before. I think they're going for nostalgia, people will see it and stop there. The great big Amoco sign was only there until perhaps mid-2008 then it converted to a normal BP station without the huge beacon of a sign.

I like the look. Ill still generally shop on price, unless they do indeed bring back their crystal clear ultimate fuel.

Well, I see the hate for BP is still great....
crackmeup2.gif

I thought it was a bad choice to get rid of the Amoco name, as many people had fond memories of it..(always was my fave when I was young-could have helped that my dad used to work weekends there sometime) Most people today won't care anyways, but breaking up all the BPs around here would be a nice idea-heck, I'd go to one..

Will shake things up a bit...

Years ago Amoco was the only source for unleaded gasoline.

Now all cars take unleaded.

Will the new Amoco sell leaded gasoline? As in REALLY go for the angry American.

Bring back Elvis and leaded fuel.

Feelings about BP does not seem to impact Castrol use … even see some from Louisiana use it …

Amoco was a major deep NG driller in our area … not many looking for deep (costly) NG these days …

An early solar company too … used to leave one of their solar trickle chargers on my truck if parked for a long time at airport

Originally Posted By: CR94
That could be a tactic to bring back customers put off by the Gulf oil spill associated with the BP name.
This.

Many folks on the Gulf coast refuse to stop at a BP station. I have only recently begun to use Castrol Edge after boycotting it for years. I have fond memories of Amoco as my uncle ran an Amoco station when I was a kid.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Years ago Amoco was the only source for unleaded gasoline.

Now all cars take unleaded.

Will the new Amoco sell leaded gasoline? As in REALLY go for the angry American.

Bring back Elvis and leaded fuel.

I have very fond memories of going to the gas station and rolling down the window to smell the fumes.

The BP oil spill sure has made a fortune out of many! ELASTEC sure made a fortune. The inventors of the oleophilic drum oil skimmer.

And the makers of Corexit 3000, or whatever it was that turned oil into a water/oil mix that happily settled into big clumps of gunk that went who knows where....

Whatever they're doing, they're doing it wrong.

A bunch of Amaco stations around here changed to BP, the rest closed. Then BP pulled the franchises of a bunch of BP stations, and they either closed or became whatever they franchise they could get fast, like Ocean.

Not a lot of goodwill left among the very few remaining franchise owners.

Amoco ultimate is still available and yes it is still clear. I put some in a paper cup and it was clear indeed.

As always our fine lawyers jumped in crying foul on dispersants (let’s ban Dawn as well) and if some got their way the delicate marsh/fingerling would of taken on what 5000’ of water ~ hundreds of miles away consumed …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Amoco ultimate is still available and yes it is still clear. I put some in a paper cup and it was clear indeed.

It is kinda nuts seeing it in sight glasses on our pipeline equipment. It looks like the line is empty. Not a hint of anything in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back