Here's what happens to some used oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Kira
Thanks for posting that company's video. I've seen it before.

BLOWS MY MIND that recycling isn't "everywhere".

It's better for the Earth....it makes REAL jobs.....it's cleaner.....

I know the "cigarette smoking wife beaters" can't be bothered to do anything so laws compelling people to do the right thing need to be written and enforced.

MARK MY WORDS: All this talk of pre-loaded (with oil) cartridges is all about ceasing the possibility of people changing their own oil.

I don't understand why recycling in general isn't enforced, esp since we have proof of how much trash / plastic ends up in the ocean.

There should be recycling bins EVERYWHERE there's a trash bin.
There pretty much is in Ontario Canada.They recycle everything there.

Walmart customers recycle a lot of oil filters.
You can find them on the shelf in the boxes that held new filters and those boxes were then used to return the used ones.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You can find them on the shelf in the boxes that held new filters and those boxes were then used to return the used ones.

Yep!

If I worked at a Walmart and encountered someone doing that I'd talk real loud and embarrass the dickens out the offender (if that is possible).

"Oh no sir, you see here. This is your old filter and retuning it would constitute theft and fraud." "Can I trust you to take this to a recycling center or are you the kind of malicious dog that would throw this somewhere in the store?"

Anybody who does something like who isn't ABJECTLY POOR should be forced into "class training" because they have none.

That 75,000 tons of scrap steel could be sharply reduced if automakers would spend the money to equip their engines with cartridge filter systems.

Good stuff.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4564785/Re:_This_happens_to_recycled_o#Post4564785

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

That's why I always look inside the box! Regardless of where it's purchased. It seems this goes on everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if some day they charge extra for filters (CRV... core) to try and get more returned used filters.

Yea but recycable materials are worth money. So it's technically worth the effort vs just having it go to the dump.

The government / cities should be in charge of this operation. It's in their interest to recycle and keep the city cleaner.

But recycling usually costs MORE.

Cool process ... but they should let car51 loose in there for some C&P action!
grin.gif

The government / cities should be in charge of this operation. It's in their interest to recycle and keep the city cleaner.

It's also in THEIR INTEREST to keep their landfills from filling up too fast....

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
They need to set up oil filter return sites. Everyone takes the oil no one wants the filters.

O'Reilly, Walmart, & Sam's Club in my area all accept used oil filters as well as used motor oil for recycling. I typically take mine to O'Reilly as most of my oil stash and all my ATF is in individual quarts and O'Reilly gives me my 5 qt empty jugs back.

Firestone Complete Auto Care in my area additionally accepts used ATF filters and used ATF for recycling.

This website gives a decent overview of what's available in an area, but I called around from this list for example to see where I could recycle used ATF filters from places that accept used ATF.

www.earth911.com

In one county where I have a home, they set up days at AutoZone and O'Reillys mostly when you bring in your used oil filters they exchange up to 3 for new oil filters (I think up to $8)...free! You also get a 3 gallon bucket with lid and oil drain container (last one was 16 qt. Garage Boss..again all free I know taxpayer funded). They rotate around the county throughout the year. I get 12 "free" filters each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back