question about tire size and type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at 4 tire replacement for 03 Chevy astro van. off brand 215/70/16 SUV tire 45000 mile warrantee 99 load rating 28" diameter, 9.0 wide or a hankook passenger 235/65/16 70000 mile warrantee 28.2" diameter 9.4" wide, 101load range. Both are price within $20 a set. Wondering if the hankook would wear faster that the off brand. Drive mostly hyway and tow a small utility trailer every once in a while.

215/70-16 seems to be the correct size for your Astro, so that would be my choice. I usually prefer to use the correct size over an off-size, unless there is a specific reason for using the alternate size (more/better tires available in the new size, minus-sizing for winter, etc)

Hankook makes many different tires, some of which last longer than others.

It also depends on what off-brand it is, who makes it, etc. For example, Walmart's Douglas tires are made by Goodyear, and plenty of off-brand tires are made by Cooper, and then you have the sketchy Chinese tires.

If you can wait a couple weeks, there's also DTD's Black Friday sales
smile.gif

Just an FYI, I put Hankook Ventus tires on my Jag X-Type when I was planning on selling it. They made it about 20,000 terrible handling miles before the steering wheel bumped left-right at slow speeds. And vibrated annoyingly at certain (but not all) highway speeds. So I moved the out of round tire to the rear. Not a month later, the recently rotated to the front tire did the same thing, only worse. Big bubble of air under the tread.

The car is AWD, so I put it on jack stands and looked at all 4 tires while in gear. WOW! All of them were out of round due to air getting under the tread and causing bubbles. Hankook = JUNK TIRES.

The bargain basement Costco Michelins are wonderful by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back