Here's what happens to some used oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting and a good service, but I have often wondered how much oil and filters I have saved over the last 39 years by doing 10K OCIs vs 5K OCIs. It all mounts up in time.

Thanks for posting that company's video. I've seen it before.

BLOWS MY MIND that recycling isn't "everywhere".

It's better for the Earth....it makes REAL jobs.....it's cleaner.....

I know the "cigarette smoking wife beaters" can't be bothered to do anything so laws compelling people to do the right thing need to be written and enforced.

MARK MY WORDS: All this talk of pre-loaded (with oil) cartridges is all about ceasing the possibility of people changing their own oil.

Yeah, our company actually “recycles” our oil filters. They get cut open, media squeezed to get oil out of them and steel shredded. Plastic Center core and rubber goes to other companies. We use OFR or Oil Filter Recyclers.

Sometimes I take filters from my fleet to dads friend as he uses them to get fire going in his coal furnace
smile.gif

I take all my used oil and filters to my municipal waste transfer station, there is no cost at time of disposal for them to take it so it encourages everyone to do the right thing versus sending the oil filter into a trash and the oil being burn't or illegally dumped.

We are big on our recycling here.

Last edited:
reduce, reuse, and close the loop was the jingle.

i agree with the sentiment with posters above to not forget that "reduce and reuse" come first.

Originally Posted By: Kira

I know the "cigarette smoking wife beaters" can't be bothered to do anything so laws compelling people to do the right thing need to be written and enforced.

MARK MY WORDS: All this talk of pre-loaded (with oil) cartridges is all about ceasing the possibility of people changing their own oil.

I don't understand why recycling in general isn't enforced, esp since we have proof of how much trash / plastic ends up in the ocean.

There should be recycling bins EVERYWHERE there's a trash bin.

In the past, when I was servicing diesel gensets for a living, I made an attachment or the hydraulic press and would squeeze oil from the filters and use it in our waste oil heater in the shop. Back then, I didn't want all that oil in the landfills.
Some of the Cat filters were about the same size as a roll of paper towels. I'd get almost five gallons of waste oil at the end of the day. Wish this service was available back then.

The last time I recycled my oil from changes, the dump attendant was very curious about what was in the bag of trash I brought along..."Are there filters in there?? Don't put the filters in the trash, recycle them! Not in the trash!" I did have several filters in there and already had recycling in mind for them.
He was a little gruff about it, but I'm glad my dump recycles filters and that they get the word out to the customers.

We had to buy a crusher for our oil filters. The company that picks up our HAZMAT refuses to take filters that aren't crushed. FWIW we had one when I was a mechanic at Sears Auto and it was kinda therapeutic crushing filters.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Kira

I don't understand why recycling in general isn't enforced, esp since we have proof of how much trash / plastic ends up in the ocean.

There should be recycling bins EVERYWHERE there's a trash bin.

Usually: because it is a money pit.

Yea but recycable materials are worth money. So it's technically worth the effort vs just having it go to the dump.

The government / cities should be in charge of this operation. It's in their interest to recycle and keep the city cleaner.

Sharpen a nail on a grinder and put it in your oil change kit.

Punch two holes in the used oil filter; one to drain the filter, the other to let it vent. You'd be surprised at the amount of oil trapped by the filter element. I'd say it's about a cup's worth.

That's what I do.

Since they're located in Berks County, I'll look up where I might recycle my old filters.

Last edited:
nice post, makes it worth recycling, Local WM said they take them and recycle. They used to drain and then dump in landfill but local pressure got them on the recycle band wagon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back