VW 2012 Golf 2.5. Amsoil Signature or Amsoil OE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day! I'm about to drain and fill once again my transmission fluid in my 2012 Golf 2.5 automatic. (Aisin 6-sp Tipronic) Used Toyota Type I-V fluid last time on two D/F's. (Replaced about 3.2 Qt's each time.) Honestly, I was expecting better, smoother shifts w/this fluid. I'm ready to try something else. Amsoil caught my eye. I believe I'll try either their Signature Multi-vechicle or their OE Multi-vechicle fluid. One is about $5 more per qt. Has anyone compared the two in real use? And if so, what are your thoughts? (I used some Valvoline Mercon V just recently in the wife's Ford Focus and I was very impressed how much smoother the car shifted between gears w/this fluid.) I really like Valvoline products and I was also contemplating using their Synthetic Import fluid because of my experience w/their line of Automatic transmission fluids. Thanks in advance...Bill.

My apologies but I replied to this without fully reading the thread. I redact my comment.

Last edited:
VW changed their material part number for the transmission fluid in 2011 and now specifies the G 055 540 A2 fluid. This is nothing other than Toyota WS (World Standard) fluid - a low viscosity replacement for the T-IV.

Choose your usage product based on this.

Amsoil goes overboard in their marketing acting like they reinvented the wheel. Smoother shifts from a different fluid doesn't necessarily indicate the best fluid. In fact, such a fluid might be allowing the clutch plates to slip a little more between shifts which wears them out faster.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
VW changed their material part number for the transmission fluid in 2011 and now specifies the G 055 540 A2 fluid. This is nothing other than Toyota WS (World Standard) fluid - a low viscosity replacement for the T-IV.

Choose your usage product based on this.

The OP likes Valvoline and this ("low viscosity replacement") sounds like Valvoline Maxlife ATF would work well....I'd also add a 10oz bottle of LG Red.

Use Maxlife
smile.gif

Haven't used either, but have used Amsoil products almost exclusively since about 2004.

If you're changing frequently (like every 30k) the OE will serve well. If you're planning to leave it in a long time then go with the SS.

I just did a 2x drain and fill on my '16 Honda Odyssey with Amsoil's SS ATF. Car shifts much smoother. I am nobody's expert on transmissions, so I can't judge whether smoother shifts mean better ATF or slipping clutch plates. All I know is that the tranny is as smooth as a fresh jar of Skippy now.

Edit: if you join their 'program' for, I think, about $20 a year, you get significant discounts on their products. Has been worth it for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Amsoil goes overboard in their marketing acting like they reinvented the wheel. Smoother shifts from a different fluid doesn't necessarily indicate the best fluid. In fact, such a fluid might be allowing the clutch plates to slip a little more between shifts which wears them out faster.

+1

I always add a little Lubeguard Red to the fluid. (I've only recently started doing transmission pan drops and changing out filters/strainers. Not at all difficult. More difficult choosing the fluid. At least w/the VW.
smile.gif
I'll have do some more research and I'll give Valvoline a call as well. Thanks again for your replies...

After reading some great older posts here on BITOG and elsewhere on the web, I believe one has to determine if the Aisin transmission in the 2012 Golf is an G-055 or G052-540-a2? The 052 being the Gen 1. This transmission has the Type I-V /JWS 3309 recommendation on Valvoline website and recommended MaxLife/Import fluid. Gen 2 G-55-540-A2 ...see dealer? THEN looking on their PI sheet for Valvoline MaxLife Multi-vechicle it lists JWS 3309/Type I-V and Dex VI. Which is it? Very confusing. The more I look into this the more confusing it becomes. Ravenol ATF T-WS recommended for VW G-055-540-A2, complies w/ JWS 3324. Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vechicle Dexron VI...applications/recommended for G 055-540-A2. cSt/VI's/Brookfields are very similiar One conclusion I'm coming to is that the Type-IV fluid is NOT the right fluid for a Gen2 G55-540-2 transmission which I believe my 2012 Golf has. (EVEN though on Mobil website it says, Mobil JWS 3309 is of the following quality level VW G-055-025-A2!) I believe a lower cSt @ 100c should be around 6.0 cST and 30cST @ 40c and VI of around 150. Therefore Maxlife and Valvoline Dexron VI look very similiar except for the Brookfield #. And from reading on line...WS is Dexron VI derivative. The conclusion I've personally have come to from all of this is that the Chevron/Halvoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vechicle looks very good! Finally, the one really interesting quote I read is, "You can get the right cSt and then the additives all wrong." I'm perplexed...I'll let you know what I decide. Going to see where the Havoline can be bought after doing just a little more research. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Pelican

+1

I disagree they are just passionate about their products because it inspires their jobbers to sell. They don't make any false claims or use shady marketing practices and are always upfront with their claims / stand behind them.

Further if it was all marketing there would be stories of grenading engines and transmissions and terrible UOA's and that just isn't the case.

Last edited:
Amsoil goes overboard in their marketing acting like they reinvented the wheel.

Amsoil was the first synthetic ATF on the market. And not really "overboard" when compared fairly to other oil companies.

And smoother shifts might also mean that the Amsoil ATF has a dynamic coefficient that more closely matches the friction coefficient needed for the wet clutches.

There is a difference between what we normally call "slipping" and smooth engagement.

I don’t get the OE line. If I’m going to go to the trouble/expense to get AMSOIL why would I go with 2nd best to save ~$3?

Just wanted to give an update...went to VW dealer w/car's vin # and dealer confirmed Gen2 G055-540-A2 Aisin transmission. It seems I used the wrong fluid last time (Toyota Type IV). This is not a low viscosity formula. (I had the Type 4 in for less than 1k. mi.) I finally ending up ordering a case of Pennzoil Platinum LV for a little under $7 a Qt. from Napa. I did 3X drain and fills and the transmission is so much smoother upshifting and downshifting. What a difference. Live and learn. Thanks for all the replies...Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back