Burning oil for more horsepower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
They WERE - past tense.

The techies caught on - - - new rules forbid it.

I thought that'd be obvious. You'll never get a YouTube video on what they *are* doing.

For the rest of this year they are just burning less oil. And i think from now on they will burn as much as the rules allow.

This made me wonder if something like it was responsible for Royal Purple's horsepower increase claims...

Interesting. The “Catch Can” which filters out crankcase blow-by on the fresh air side of the engine, was developed by drag race engine builders specifically to keep oil out of the combustion chamber because it “reduces octane of the mix”. This video states explicitly that allowing oil in “reduces knock” which would indicate an increase in octane. I’m having a hard time buying that. Pull the throttle body on a modern V8 road car w/o catch can at 50,000 miles and you’re likely to find an oily mess laying in the bottom of the intake manifold. This cannot be good for an engine. This is also why dealers routine recommend “fuel system” cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Interesting. The “Catch Can” which filters out crankcase blow-by on the fresh air side of the engine, was developed by drag race engine builders specifically to keep oil out of the combustion chamber because it “reduces octane of the mix”. This video states explicitly that allowing oil in “reduces knock” which would indicate an increase in octane. I’m having a hard time buying that. Pull the throttle body on a modern V8 road car w/o catch can at 50,000 miles and you’re likely to find an oily mess laying in the bottom of the intake manifold. This cannot be good for an engine. This is also why dealers routine recommend “fuel system” cleaning.

This is very different. They were running separate "oil" systems that would inject oil at a tuned rate. Was also very different "oil" than was being used to lubricate the engine.

That guy is so full of it! Talking about how oil is going to improve knock resistance. No way. Not even a pure synthetic oil with very uniform base stock composition would improve knock resistance. Long-chain alkanes that make up motor oil will break apart sooner due to high combustion chamber temperatures than will short-chain fuel molecules.

I think trying to explain how current F1 engine builders are improving power output by running motor oil through the combustion chambers is the wrong approach. Cylinder conditions are just too severe to control the combustion. Maybe they have a trick method of metering oil into the exhaust ports via the valve guides. This bypasses the combustion chambers, and allows the heat to be released into the turbocharger/MGU-H where it can be harvested for more power. I have read that the 1.6L V6 turbos run at a lambda number of 1.2, which means that they have excess oxygen in the exhaust that will support combustion.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That guy is so full of it! Talking about how oil is going to improve knock resistance. No way. Not even a pure synthetic oil with very uniform base stock composition would improve knock resistance. Long-chain alkanes that make up motor oil will break apart sooner due to high combustion chamber temperatures than will short-chain fuel molecules.

I think trying to explain how current F1 engine builders are improving power output by running motor oil through the combustion chambers is the wrong approach. Cylinder conditions are just too severe to control the combustion. Maybe they have a trick method of metering oil into the exhaust ports via the valve guides. This bypasses the combustion chambers, and allows the heat to be released into the turbocharger/MGU-H where it can be harvested for more power. I have read that the 1.6L V6 turbos run at a lambda number of 1.2, which means that they have excess oxygen in the exhaust that will support combustion.

Since fuel composition is strictly controlled, I read that they are using the oil to carry the combustion control additives into the cylinder. Using the turbo as a jet engine is an interesting idea too, as its used directly to charge the batteries.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

LOL, have made that (the first) statement a couple of times, and been "lambasted" for it.

I agree with your post, we discussed it back a few months ago the ways in which they could conceivably have achieved use of the energy content of burned oil...in cylinder, in the end gas region is the least likely...worst case for knock, and worst to control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back