Does this happen at your work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work, we usually take a break somewhere between 8:30 and 9:30, depending on various factors, and lunch at 12:00 or 12:30. Start time is generally 6 am, so it's nice to rest your feet and the rest of your body for a bit. Sometimes I look at news on my phone, or peruse craigslist, or whatever.

At larger jobsites, it seems that there is always someone who thinks that the time when everyone is eating lunch is a good time to discuss all manner of bodily functions. Personally, I would like to concentrate more on what's happening at the entrance of the digestive system, rather than the exit. Nonetheless, if, for instance, someone is eating Mexican food with spicy salsa, this person will point out what he believes will be the effect of the spiciness on the terminus of the alimentary canal. Of course he feels that this is hilarious, and may also describe the effluvia that may result.

When my kids were little, I told them that there's a reason we have a door on the bathroom. Kind of like what happens in Vegas...

If he (or she, it's not always men, but usually is), tires of the excretory, various other secretions, as well as gruesome sports injuries, infections, and so on may be the topic of discussion.

While I realize that there is a time and place to discuss these things, especially when something goes wrong, for me, lunch isn't it.

People blowing their nose at the table REALLY annoys the [censored] out of me.
frown.gif

i guess you should at least be happy you get a morning break..we work from 6 to 1130 when its lunch..

but yeah, you are going to always have low class stuff like that..just the way it is..theres usually no reasoning with them but sometimes a well spoken correction will get them to think about things..

We used to have a guy that would take his shoes off and put his feet up on the table while others were eating. Then would kick back in the chair and let these huge stinky burbs out.

Are you keeping the party going with alternate sparkling conversation?
were you in the midst of discussing how the the confirmation of gravitational waves affects the position of humanity in the cosmos?

if its just silent after youve gone over last nights sports scores, weather and plans for the weekend, then he can bring up whatever topic he wants to fill the void and break the silence.

if you just say man thats gross and go back to discussing astrophysics it wont happen again.

I just frown and get up and leave.

I worked where where some of the machine shop floor guys would "describe the effluvia" they would belch and [censored] right in the cafeteria. Their crew would laugh and fan their nose. My particular favorite was when one would belch with his mouth closed and blow into someeones face. Angry words and bravado would follow but the others were laughing or looking to see if a fight would break out. Nope not highschool...thus was the pride of the oilfield.

No thanks

Originally Posted By: raytseng
were you in the midst of discussing how the the confirmation of gravitational waves affects the position of humanity in the cosmos?

if its just silent after youve gone over last nights sports scores, weather and plans for the weekend, then he can bring up whatever topic he wants to fill the void and break the silence.

if you just say man thats gross and go back to discussing astrophysics it wont happen again.

Ha! So I'm the one causing it. Tomorrow I'm going with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle then. Maybe we can delve into quantum foam.

Just plumbers talkin’ plumbing; potable and waste.
lol.gif

FYI Calif law requires meal breaks at 5 hours. Starting at 6 means lunch no later than 11. If the meal isn’t taken at 5 hrs your employer must pay you an extra hour. We run into that issue at work often.

I worked independently most of my career and was self directed and did as I pleased. I would have never made it in the environment being talked about here.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
frown.gif

Amen to this one.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
frown.gif

There's a guy that does that on a nearly daily basis. He'd make an excellent boat horn.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I worked independently most of my career and was self directed and did as I pleased. I would have never made it in the environment being talked about here.

Me too and I've never punched a clock.

Working independently is the best.

I work Primarily at a Military staging area. AKA Junk Yard. I have my own office and only a few other employees around. No talk like that at lunch. We talk mostly cars or Family.

We were having a going away party with a big crowd at a previous job and a cranky old sourpuss started talking about his prostate examination right when our food started arriving. He was sitting next to a young lady who was new to the office and she just couldn't stop laughing at how stupid he was being...I made a little gag about discussing medical issues at lunch and the fool got all huffy and said we were all adults and he could talk about whatever the (heck) he wanted. The poor gal didn't eat her food because the senile guy was being so gross and that was also the last time we got to have a group lunch in the rest of my time at that company.
That guy must have had compromising photos of somebody high up in management because he was always pulling a 'tude like that and his work was generally quite poor. He really screwed up something he did for me and he must have had 20 index fingers for all the "reasons" he pointed to at once other than his own lack of competence to explain the mistakes.

It's been my experience as an employee, employer, and consultant, that those who have no respect for themselves or others, are usually poor workers. In situations where I've had a say, they will be given some advice. If it continues, their lack of professionalism means they'll be offered the chance to seek other opportunities.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: raytseng

Ha! So I'm the one causing it. Tomorrow I'm going with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle then. Maybe we can delve into quantum foam.

Well you can talk about the latest LIGO/Virgo detection about Neutron star collisions and how it now confirms that gravity waves travel at the speed of light because they detected gamma rays about 1.7 seconds so the speed of gravity waves is probably nailed down to within 15 decimal places at the speed of light. This eliminates a lot of other theories where gravity waves travel at different speeds and could hence account for dark matter. Plus spectral analysis of the collision now confirms that heavier elements like gold and platinum are made in neutron star collisions. Supernovas just made elements up to iron.

Anyway, when they start talking about stuff like that just start saying TMI. (Too much information). I've done it a few times and it stops.

I used to sit next to HR and I remember one time someone called in sick and the HR person was getting mad at the employee for describing how sick she was, I guess she had diarrhea and was explaining everything about it. She yelled at her and said she didn't need to know, just that she was going to be out sick. Once that image is in your mind, you can't get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back