Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went by O'Reilly Auto Parts yesterday and found this floor Jack on sale . The one I have , I have had for years ( belonged to my late Dad ) . But it leaks jack oil & I have to top it off from time to time .

Had to jack up the back of the 1991 Caprice , to get both rear wheels odd the ground . Used the old jack to raise the passenger side , jacking against the frame . Shoved a jack stand unser the fraim & let the jack down untill some weight was resting on the jack stand .

Repeated the whole process on the driver side , with the new AC Delco jack . It did not go quite as high as I needed . Do not know if it is just lower to the ground & had to use up some of that reach before it contacted the frame ? Of it just does not have as much reach as the old jack ?

Think I could have used a 4" x 4" wood block between the jack " cradle " & the frame , to make it work better ? I did get the jack stand slid under the frame , so all is well .

Put the AC Delco jack in the trunk of the Sonic . It is lower to the ground .

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/acdel...-Ton+Floor+Jack

Best to you all , :)

they sell rubber jack pucks on amazon. Be careful with 4x4 blocks. They have a grain running through them which could split under high load. them. I woul be more comfortable with glueing and screwing together some plywood to make apuck. By the time you so that, you have saved a dollar but spent a couple of hours.

Last edited:
A lot of those smaller trolley jacks don't quite have the lift height that you might need, especially for an SUV or even a smaller CUV.

I wouldn't try making too high of a puck to get the height you need, it can get a little iffy with a big spacer between the saddle and the car. Another option if you have enough ground clearance between the jack and the car would be to get a piece or two of 12x2 and put the jack on top of that.

Another good tip ! :)

I used to have a " spacer " made from 2 - 3/4" x 12" x 12" pieces of plywood . I then attached 4 pieces of 2" x 4" along the bottom edge . This left a " pocket " in the center , that the 2" x 4" did not cover . The " cradle " of the floor jack fit nicely into this " pocket " .

This added almost 1-1/2" of height and the " pocket kept it from moving on the " cradle " . The 12" x 12" top did a good job , if you were jacking against an oil pan or transmission pan . Spread out the pressure .

I also made a second spacer , the top was the same , but I used 3 - 2" x 4" x 12" on the bottom , to make that solid . This could be stacked on top of the first " spacer " and the wood surface against another wood surface did not slip or slide . The whole thing was stable .

Thanks , :)

For me, a long wood block, oak in my case, spreads the jack load so
there's no bending or distortion in the under structure of a car that can't
take 1,500 Lb on a jack contact patch that may be as small as 1" dia (in the case
of a small bottle jack).

a hockey puck from Amazon, Wlamart or your local source. Mine was on sale for a $1.

I general, this is not a very safe design for a jack, but it will do if you are careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back