Bryston

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Probably one of the few Canadian brands that a good deal of Americans know.

Bryston is a local company for me, I just recently had them do a "factory recertification" on my 4B, which cost a whopping $160.00, which seemed like an incredible bargain, given what was replaced.

Having been introduced to a number of the folks that work there from a few mutual friends I've decided that, in the spirit of supporting local business, I will progressively swap out my gear for Bryston stuff. The first purchase will likely be a set of Model T speakers, which appear to be a very good match for the heavier music I listen to. In speaking with an acquaintance that works there, the 4B will be more than sufficient to drive them to ridiculous volumes.

Anybody on here have Bryston gear? If so, what model, when did you buy it and what's your opinion on it?

grin.gif

Awesome gear you really want to follow on Audio Circle specifically James Tanner great electronics not cheap but high end. speakers mehh so so think you can do better for same costs Audio Circle is what you want to follow can't stress it enough if you want to learn all about Bryston.

For many years I owned a 4B NRB and there BP20 pre-amp and they were fantastic! They powered Vanderstien 3A speakers then B&W 801's I sold it all two years ago. I recall one party I had and my 4B was real hot! But never shut off. That amp had the best bottom end drive wow was it great! There stuff is built like a tank! 20 year warranty.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
For many years I owned a 4B NRB and there BP20 pre-amp and they were fantastic! They powered Vanderstien 3A speakers then B&W 801's I sold it all two years ago. I recall one party I had and my 4B was real hot! But never shut off. That amp had the best bottom end drive wow was it great! There stuff is built like a tank! 20 year warranty.

thumbsup2.gif
I'm currently driving a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11's with my 4B, but was previously driving a set of B&W 802 S3's, which are now in my bedroom. You are right, they can really drive the bottom-end with authority!

I've owned the 3B and then the 4B-ST. Can't remember the Bryston model of pre-amp I used w/these amps. It was a few yrs. back. World of difference between the two amps. The 4B-ST was MUCH better. Excellent amp! Wasn't as impressed w/their pre/amp nor their B60-R int. amp. Probably just didn't have the right combination of other equipment. GREAT company no doubt about it. Extremely reliable. I'm in Audiophile heaven w/my present "man cave" system...Absolutely world class which consists of affordable mostly used equipment bought for very little $. Knowly what to modify, place and assemble the right matching equipment is the key. Could not be more pleased w/my recapped Adcom 5002 amp. Bi-polar design. 50w per channel of pure musical delight!

I know the Bryston name well but do not own their equipment.

Its getting hard to know in this new world economy if a company is still the original company or is it a company that has been bought out, its product line cheapened and name used to maximize profits

I assume your post shows Bryston is still its "own company" ? Many years ago I came close to buying one of their modest amps, MANY times but opted for another.

Speakers, I have a set of modest Paradigm speakers, awesome speakers well over gosh, I think 2 decades old now. Been in storage for the last 10 years and on a whim I took them out and hooked them into our Yamaha Surround Sound System as the main front channel speakers.
I was like OH MY GOD, I forgot how well they sound, to say we are thrilled is an understatement, all this time we thought the Yamaha system sounded great but I always felt like something was missing and I was right, the Paradigms woke up the system.

Ok, so lets fast forward, so impressed once again with these Paradigm's I have to ask myself, are they still in business? Or have they been bought out by some other large company and the name being USED to sell products at high profits, like soooooo many other companies now, its hard to figure out, which company is the real sound company and which one is the fake. I will tell you, if Paradigm is still its own company, I will be a repeat customer ... if not ... well ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I know the Bryston name well but do not own their equipment.

Its getting hard to know in this new world economy if a company is still the original company or is it a company that has been bought out, its product line cheapened and name used to maximize profits

I assume your post shows Bryston is still its "own company" ? Many years ago I came close to buying one of their modest amps, MANY times but opted for another.

Speakers, I have a set of modest Paradigm speakers, awesome speakers well over gosh, I think 2 decades old now. Been in storage for the last 10 years and on a whim I took them out and hooked them into our Yamaha Surround Sound System as the main front channel speakers.
I was like OH MY GOD, I forgot how well they sound, to say we are thrilled is an understatement, all this time we thought the Yamaha system sounded great but I always felt like something was missing and I was right, the Paradigms woke up the system.

Ok, so lets fast forward, so impressed once again with these Paradigm's I have to ask myself, are they still in business? Or have they been bought out by some other large company and the name being USED to sell products at high profits, like soooooo many other companies now, its hard to figure out, which company is the real sound company and which one is the fake. I will tell you, if Paradigm is still its own company, I will be a repeat customer ... if not ... well ...

Paradigm is another Canadian brand and as far as I know, like Bryston, are still independent.

Bryston builds all it's own electronics Bryston speakers are built and assembled by Axiom speaker with a partnership builds to Bryston specs with Bryston spec drivers but it's a glorified Axiom speaker nothing wrong just a lot of hands in on it.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Bryston builds all it's own electronics Bryston speakers are built and assembled by Axiom speaker with a partnership builds to Bryston specs with Bryston spec drivers but it's a glorified Axiom speaker nothing wrong just a lot of hands in on it.

Yes, they were a bit of a side project from one of the higher-ups there. However, they do sound quite good and are well suited for heavy music.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yes, they were a bit of a side project from one of the higher-ups there. However, they do sound quite good and are well suited for heavy music.
Yes it was James Tanner own project and still is as they launched new active models he always holds the MiniT as something he's very proud of the ModelT lineup is very good I just believe you get more speaker with other builders with better components for same costs or less.

Yes it was James Tanner own project and still is as they launched new active models he always holds the MiniT as something he's very proud of the ModelT lineup is very good I just believe you get more speaker with other builders with better components for same costs or less.

I was screwed on a set of Model T's for around $3K (passive) recently. I was out of the province and the guy had them listed for $3,500, I was willing to pay that for them, but I believe he sold them for like $2,800 to somebody else. I was not happy. I have an acquaintance who is a dealer and is trying to get a me a set of demos, I expect to pay around $4K for them, which IMHO, is pretty reasonable. It would be nice to get the full active crossover version but it simply isn't in the budget unfortunately.

I was screwed on a set of Model T's for around $3K (passive) recently. I was out of the province and the guy had them listed for $3,500, I was willing to pay that for them, but I believe he sold them for like $2,800 to somebody else. I was not happy. I have an acquaintance who is a dealer and is trying to get a me a set of demos, I expect to pay around $4K for them, which IMHO, is pretty reasonable. It would be nice to get the full active crossover version but it simply isn't in the budget unfortunately.

That is my only beef with them really they just do not hold value at all as others in same dollar value will as many other builders are a better build quality all together from drivers to cabinet construction that is my personal opinion.

Last edited:

That is my only beef with them really they just do not hold value at all as others in same dollar value will as many other builders are a better build quality all together from drivers to cabinet construction that is my personal opinion.

Yeah, I think that's somewhat evident based on the value my old 802's still hold.

However, if you get them on a deal, I think that helps. I'd never pay full pop for them.

Yeah, I think that's somewhat evident based on the value my old 802's still hold.

However, if you get them on a deal, I think that helps. I'd never pay full pop for them.

+1 if I'd look for a bargain pair and play loud enough unless you had some massive space same drivers as the ModelT just its little brother look for the MiddleT I think that be the ticket.

+1 if I'd look for a bargain pair and play loud enough unless you had some massive space same drivers as the ModelT just its little brother look for the MiddleT I think that be the ticket.

I've found a PILE of deals on the Middle T (for as little as $2,500) but according to my buddy at Bryston, for my listening, and in the space I'm filling, the Model T would be a far better fit
21.gif

I've found a PILE of deals on the Middle T (for as little as $2,500) but according to my buddy at Bryston, for my listening, and in the space I'm filling, the Model T would be a far better fit
21.gif

I personally would question that and unless it was answered by James Tanner think he would also. I think answering Far better is a stretch they are same drivers in both units

[ personally would question that and unless it was answered by James Tanner think he would also. I think answering Far better is a stretch they are same drivers in both units

Right, but there are more of them in the Model T's, which was part of his point. Their broader assortment of drivers work to fill a bigger room better was my takeaway from our discussion. On that surface, that would seem to make sense. 4x tweeters vs 2, 4x mids vs 2, and 6x woofers vs 4
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back