Long Distance Runners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any of you guys long distance runners? I'm not even sure how many miles a person would have to run to qualify as a long distance runner; to me, 5 miles would be a long ways to run. When I was in the military, we were supposed to be able to run 1.5 miles in 9 minutes or less. I look back and wonder how I ever pulled that off.

A few years back, the VA hospital put my feet on a laser scanner machine that somehow mapped my feet in a 3-dimentional image. A couple of weeks later, I got a set of PedAlign custom orthotic insoles in the mail. Super high quality carbon fiber orthotics, but I have never been able to find shoes for them to fit into. You have to have shoes with removable insoles in order to have the space available to accommodate full length custom orthotics.

You guys have any advice for someone just starting out? Any advice on finding the correct shoes? Do you wear orthotics in your running shoes yourself? I figure since I don't have any knee trouble or respiratory problems, I should give it a shot.

Try Dr. Kelly Starrett's book, Ready to Run.

I've been a runner all my life, from high school through college and marathons and 10K's after that. My 10K PR was 30:05 at the Crescent City Classic in New Orleans, a point to point race from Jackson Square to the zoo that is very slightly downhill. I was in the best shape of my life and it was my best chance to break 30. I always tried to break 30 for the 10K and never did so the joke is that my 10K PR is 29:65 (lol). I qualified to go to the 1980 Olympic Marathon Trials but Jimmy Carter forced a US boycott of the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics. He wasn't very popular with amateur athletes after that stunt. I had planned to visit several Russian friends, athletes that I had met at various meets and events. Carter ruined it all, and for what, nothing that had anything to do with the Olympics?

A lot of people can run that have never done any other sporting activity if they just give it a try and learn a few basics.

Kelly's book has a lot of useful information that can save you a lot of wasted energy and time.

Try skipping the orthotics and find proper shoes. I was in track in high school and ran for a bit when I lived in Florida. If Columbus, OH has boutique running shoe stores I'm sure you have them where your at.
Note to you single guys: Running is one of the easiest way to find a girlfriend. More women than men run. Many women would prefer if they had a BF or husband that ran with them.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_re=hp-_-footer-_-seo_shoe_dog

I would recommend going to a dedicated running store and have them help with finding the correct shoe. There are so many different models for different foot types and running styles. Usually cost about the same as buying online.

Just don't get so sucked into it that you do that Death March bovine scat. You'll destroy your ankle, knee, and hip joints doing the extreme stuff like the 24 hr death marches. Tough mudders may be better for hips but the risk of knee and ankle injuries on account of loose footing/traction is higher.

I used to run a lot (13 full marathons, many half-marathons and 10Ks, and countless training runs. It would be over 30 years since I was fit enough to meet the military standard of 1.5 miles in 9 minutes - that's fast!

I found Jeff Galloway's book to be really helpful.

I'm mostly on the bike in recent years. I can still get a good workout, and recovery is so much faster.

I chose long distance bicycling instead of running. As a motorcyclist and dirt bike rider, it was closer.

44,000 miles later, my knees, ankles and to a lesser extent hips, are flat worn out. I'm 54, go to the gym daily and have a hard time getting up due to worn out knees. Don't let anybody tell you that repetitive motion injury is bunk. It's not, and over time, doing the same thing over and over will result in wear.

I believed bicycling was lower impact. Probably true. However, it's not zero impact.

My suggestion is to vary your exercises widely to limit your exposure to wear related issues.

I ran for 30 years. Started at the age of 34 when I started having skipped heartbeats. I figured running would either kill me or cure me. It cured me.

I never ran races. But I ran every single day for most of that time. Usually 25 to 30 miles per week. I only weigh 140 and over those 30 to 35 thousand miles of running I never had a problem with my knees.

I would suggest looking at youtube to develop a good running style. I always ran on mcadam but that is probably a bad idea. Ideally you could find a soft track to run on. Do LSD (Long Slow Distance).

I don't run anymore but I do the treadmill at 15% (max angle) at 1.9 mph for say 20 min. Always wore Nikes.

Good luck! Keep us up to date.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Don't let anybody tell you that repetitive motion injury is bunk. It's not, and over time, doing the same thing over and over will result in wear.

He is probably right. I am probably a freak of nature. I know other runners in the sam condition as Cujet

Last edited:
Running is very hard on your knees, feet etc....I've found better cardio excercises.....I like to do 30 minutes on the Stairmaster.

If you're going to run, walk first. Work up to 20 minutes each way walking, then start adding short sections of running, and gradually build up.

In the over-40 club, bicycling is a less knee pounding activity that can give you the same benefits. Either way you decide to go, listen to your body.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I chose long distance bicycling instead of running. As a motorcyclist and dirt bike rider, it was closer.

44,000 miles later, my knees, ankles and to a lesser extent hips, are flat worn out. I'm 54, go to the gym daily and have a hard time getting up due to worn out knees. Don't let anybody tell you that repetitive motion injury is bunk. It's not, and over time, doing the same thing over and over will result in wear.

I believed bicycling was lower impact. Probably true. However, it's not zero impact.

My suggestion is to vary your exercises widely to limit your exposure to wear related issues.
I think you've given really good advice. In my case my back was starting to act up. At that point I'd been running to work (mostly winters only) for over 25 years with a backpack holding my lunch and work clothes. I considered towing a sled or something, but decided to go the winter-bike route instead. No regrets!

44K miles is a lot of cycling, especially if done without seasonal breaks. I estimate I've averaged 3K km/year over the past 35 years (perhaps 65K miles) but as it was spread out, and because until recently I was taking 4 - 5 months off during the winter, I've been fortunate enough to not have a cycling-related RSI yet.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Are any of you guys long distance runners? I'm not even sure how many miles a person would have to run to qualify as a long distance runner; to me, 5 miles would be a long ways to run. When I was in the military, we were supposed to be able to run 1.5 miles in 9 minutes or less. I look back and wonder how I ever pulled that off.

A few years back, the VA hospital put my feet on a laser scanner machine that somehow mapped my feet in a 3-dimentional image. A couple of weeks later, I got a set of PedAlign custom orthotic insoles in the mail. Super high quality carbon fiber orthotics, but I have never been able to find shoes for them to fit into. You have to have shoes with removable insoles in order to have the space available to accommodate full length custom orthotics.

You guys have any advice for someone just starting out? Any advice on finding the correct shoes? Do you wear orthotics in your running shoes yourself? I figure since I don't have any knee trouble or respiratory problems, I should give it a shot.

My brother is a long distance runner. He has proper shoes and says they make the world of difference. He also attends the Boston marathon each year. He started out slowly by running 1K and then ramping it up from there taking his time to get up to the very long distances he does now. He is quite fit as well.

Edit: I should mention he also went for some coaching on how to run to help keep stress/impact on his knees / hips happy.

Last edited:
Jogging, landing on your heels, is destructive. Shin splints, bad knees, you name it. Avoid at all costs. Slow to walking until you can run again.

Running (landing on the balls of your feet) is much better, but requires warm-up and fitness or you'll pull something.

Orthotics that support your arch are useless to most. You need support to the back middle of the ball of your feet, like Birkenstocks do with their weird uncomfortable middle-of-the-sole cushioned bump. That bump put me back on my feet for the entire day, while expensive orthotics from an overbooked podiatrist just made my feet hurt more.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Running is very hard on your knees, feet etc....I've found better cardio excercises.....I like to do 30 minutes on the Stairmaster.

thumbsup2.gif

I agree and I've worked up to about 40 minutes a day on the treadmill and 3.4 MPH and a 15 degree incline.

I have a PhD in Exercise Science. I know some of the top people in the world that research distance running biomechanics. My advice? Don't do distance running.

It screws up your hormones, leads to muscle loss, lots of injuries (knees, ankles, feet, hips/back). Do sprints, plyometrics, and resistance training.

The hormonal changes are muscle loss are especially concerning. A lot of times middle aged people take up running, at the exact time their hormonal profile is turning more catabolic anyway. Running makes things worse. More catabolic hormonal environment = less muscle = less quality of life and ability to Activities of Daily Living in your 60s and up. Your lack of function and muscle strength and power in your 60s will make you regret taking up running in your 30s or 40s.

If you do circuit style resistance training once in a while you don't need to distance run for "cardio." If you have a Fitbit, do circuit training and look at your heart rate. It will stay above 150 the whole time.

For general cardiovascular health purposes, walking briskly 3 days a week for 20 minutes is all you need. It has been shown over and over again in the scientific literature.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
For general cardiovascular health purposes, walking briskly 3 days a week for 20 minutes is all you need. It has been shown over and over again in the scientific literature.

Everything I read says 3 times a week is beneficial but they say 150 minutes a week is much better. Especially if you're looking to improve rather than maintain what you have.

Last edited:
This whole workout weekly and having routines is all in excess and the entire industry is a scam. just go to a park 1 or twice a week and be done with it. free and gets the job done. no fitness memberships to worry about. a scam.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
This whole workout weekly and having routines is all in excess and the entire industry is a scam. just go to a park 1 or twice a week and be done with it. free and gets the job done. no fitness memberships to worry about. a scam.

Well that's what some people say. I'm 73 I keep watching my former friends that believed that drop dead. I'm still reasonably healthy I think and they're still dropping dead. Of course they are saving the $175 a year its costing me to go to the community health center with my senior discount. And yes I know just how long that going to the park lasts when the rain and the snow fly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back