Apples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they ever ripen up like bananas, or do they stay tart ?

I bought some "Red Delicious" apples last night and I thought they'd be sweet since the outer skin is a dark red, but cut them open and the white inside has a green tint.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do they ever ripen up like bananas,

Not in my experience.

Red Delicious is probably my least favorite apple.

Best right off the tree Mackintosh my favorite... If you wait like a month in the fridge they may lose there tart... they start turning brown and old inside...

Last edited:
This is why I often buy Gala or Fuji. They are usually sweet enough to tolerate.

You can try baking your apples if they are not very palatable currently.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Honeycrisp is by far my favorite

+1

And if HC isn't available, then I go for Fuji.

EDIT: Forgot to add, Jonagold is also very nice, similar to HC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1

And if HC isn't available, then I go for Fuji.

I just bought some Jazz apples. I wonder if they are related to HC? Really crisp and juicy.

Pink lady isn't too bad either
We both think alike

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do they ever ripen up like bananas,

Not in my experience.

Red Delicious is probably my least favorite apple.

Agreed - too thick of a skin and not enough sweetness. Fuji is delicious.

Envy is the best apple. Found them at Wal-Mart once and never seen them again anywhere. Jazz is the second best apple.

Unlike some other fruit, apples do not ripen after picking.

Stored properly under the correct temperature and humidity, apples can be kept for up to 8 months. This was important a century ago before refrigeration and shipping became mainstream.

I grew up immediately next to a huge apple orchard. ....so I'm an expert (hmmm)

See if you can find large Rome or Cortland apples. They're big, have a tender skin and sweet white flesh.

Romes and Cortlands you find bagged in stores are good but they're small. They don't have the visual impact of "hugies".

Red Delicious apples are only good for photo shoots (in my humble opinion).

Only one word is accurate in the name Red Delicious.

I prefer Honeycrisp or Fuji if they are coming from the store. If I am buying form the local orchard's stand then who know's what I'll come home with, sometimes they are black! Heaven Sent and Splendor are also pretty good.

I find myself enjoying the ones that are good for baking and eating since they're typically a bit more tart.

We hit an orchard a few times this year and picked a ton. My favorite being a Jonathan and another that resembled a Granny Smith, but about 1/3 of it had a pinkish hue. Both good for cooking and eating.

EDIT: Forgot to add, Jonagold is also very nice, similar to HC.

To me Jonagold is way better than Honeycrisp.
Jonagold is still my favorite.
smile.gif

I thought the darker apples were for peeling and baking but I don't buy apples. My wife gets the pink lady and fuji and I'll have a bite now the then and they are sweet but she only buys them once a year, I guess she knows when to buy them and she always peels them.

Here's a thought, everybody always marveled over my grandma's apple pie and always asked her for the recipe but she said "oh no, it was a secret" and then one day she told every one her secret, instead of using apples she used pears, go figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I thought the darker apples were for peeling and baking but I don't buy apples. My wife gets the pink lady and fuji and I'll have a bite now the then and they are sweet but she only buys them once a year, I guess she knows when to buy them and she always peels them.

That's a shame. The skin is the most nutritious part of the apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back