Are direct fuel injection cleaners needed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2017 direct injected 5.3 Silverado. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this that would need a fuel injection cleaner & if so what to use? Thanks for the help

Amsoil Powerfoam sprayed through the throttle body plate. Cleans that and the valves at the same time. Fuel system cleaner for everything else. I like VP Fuels Fuel Cleaner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Amsoil Powerfoam sprayed through the throttle body plate. Cleans that and the valves at the same time. Fuel system cleaner for everything else. I like VP Fuels Fuel Cleaner.

Is that like the Mopar Combustion cleaner? Been thinking about using that in my Jeep, G20 and 300ZX before my next OCI and possibly replacing the plugs after, if required.

Yes and not because I like Amsoil but that stuff is wickedly good at what it does. I wish I could buy direct in Canada but it's not available here because of environmental laws so I buy it south of the border and drive it back.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Yes and not because I like Amsoil but that stuff is wickedly good at what it does. I wish I could buy direct in Canada but it's not available here because of environmental laws so I buy it south of the border and drive it back.
wink.gif

We used to be able to buy the Amsoil powerfoam several years ago up here but then they put a stop to it. That stuff does work really good. I still have a full can of it thankfully.

That truck is way too new for a fuel injection cleaning. We do Valvoline fuel injection cleanings at Walmart. A 2017 vehicle is way too new for a cleaning. Most likely nothing to clean. Unless it has 50-60K miles.

Adding anything to the gas will be a waste. I would spray out the throttle body every 20-30k with a can of carb cleaner or CRC Direct Inject cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Adding anything to the gas will be a waste.

I agree because the fuel totally bypasses the valves on direct injection.

If anything, the recommendation for fuel INJECTOR cleaning is actually increased for direct injection engines, as the INJECTORS run at higher pressure and certain ones may clog more frequently.
Several manufacturers recommend using a injector cleaner periodically to do exactly and only what the name name describes which is clean the injectors.

Don't mix up valves and injectors. If you want to clean your valves, then you need a valve cleaning procedure.

It is true the issues with the valves needing cleaning is a separate and potentially more pressing concern depending on the engine; but just cause you want to focus on the valves; doesn't mean you can neglect the injectors.

Last edited:
There are a couple of issues.

Crankcase vapors into the intake are a significant source of gunk in the intake. Varies from engine to engine, some with very thin low tension rings have more blowby and benefit more. A PVC hose catch can is a solution, up north it can freeze solid, so must have heated garage and drain often or put it where it stays hot. Since extended drain is not possible, OE tends not to use them.

Then there is gunk from the fuel, and there usually Top Tier fuels are sufficient.

Rod

I have a 2016 silverado with the 5.3, this is what i have done so far, and i hope it helps you.

-At 1k miles i changed my oil filter.

-At 2500 miles i changed my oil (i know this isnt scientific or anything but the oil was VERY black) and filter.

-At 5000 miles i changed my oil (more of a dark amber this time, not so dark...) and filter and also i looked at my throttle body (which actually needed cleaned, surprisingly...).

-At 8000 miles i changed my oil (less dark than before, looked good) and filter, front and rear differential fluid (front differential fluid looked like brown watery grease... no idea why? rear differential has shimmery with metal flakes and very dark), fully changed my transmission fluid (was still red, had a shimmer on the top of the fluid i had extracted), changed my transfer case fluid (looked good, still red, slight shimmer on top of the fluid i extracted), and also added a PCV catch can.

I am now at 10k miles or maybe a hair less, and i have already caught oil (about enough to fill up one of those little paper bathroom cups) and what seems to be unburnt fuel (smells like it anyhow).

This is what i have done and my findings, YMMV, but i hope this helps you in some form or fashion.

To save the possible crucifixion from other members, I did it because i wanted to, not because it NEEDED to be done.
Just a peace of mind thing for me.

Add: I also have ran a tank of MMO every 3000 miles or so to keep injectors and fuel system clean and to keep it from forming any sort of deposits. And i have also injected water into my PCV return line (from PVC catch can to engine intake) as a preventative measure to hopefully keep valve deposits to a minimum.

(insert flame suit)

Last edited:
My son has a 2008 CTS with a 3.6 DI engine. Never use any kind of engine cleaner. 180,000 miles without a problem. I wouldn't waste my time and money.

Brand aside, some DI vehicles are worse than others. To avoid needing a flame suit I won't mention the names of the vehicles I consider worse. Having said that I think driving conditions play a big part, a very big part. Vehicles that idle in traffic constantly are going to be worse than vehicles that are driven at nice highway speeds. So when making a decision on how to treat it consider how it is driven. I'd venture a guess and say people that live in rural areas that see little traffic, or work shifts that allow them the benefit of travel after rush hour might very well report stories of driving in excess of 100K miles w/o a problem. OTOH take that same vehicle and put it in an area where heavy traffic is the norm, and don't expect the same success stories others mention.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My son has a 2008 CTS with a 3.6 DI engine. Never use any kind of engine cleaner. 180,000 miles without a problem. I wouldn't waste my time and money.

I would love to see the condition of your intake valves, compared to someone who regular cleans his/hers.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

I would love to see the condition of your intake valves, compared to someone who regular cleans his/hers.

Does it really matter what they look like if there are no drivability concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back