Carhartt Work Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there ever substantial discounts on Carharrt insulated work jackets?
The most I recall seeing at my local stores during sales is 10% off.

Check ebay.

I know one things - the junky "walls" brand lasts 2-3 years MAX. I have a Carhartt from 2003 that's worn but still going!

The quality of the fabric differences are not seen with the eye = but are DRAMATIC.

I'm picky - it MUST have blanket lining, quilted inner sleeves, zipper not buttons, and slash cut outside pockets (double inside pockets is a bonus). MUST also have a corduroy collar..... all this and MUST be 44Long. So, I am always searching, and when I find what I want I buy it. Last one I got on ebay was embroidered with a company name and I got it for $45 (new)

Sierra Trading post carries seconds of Carhartt. That’s the cheapest you’ll buy them from a “store”.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~carhartt-jacket-/

I bought a Duluth Trading work coat to replace a Carhartt and it seems better.

Last edited:
My TSC has them heavily discounted in April on whatever is left. This isn't limited to coats either. Hats, gloves etc. Adults and kids. You have to go at the right time because they are gone quick.

The lesser desirable colors are what seems to be left over. The traditional Carhartt brown and black being a huge no. They had a lot of grey coats last spring. (I personally like it.)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Overpriced [censored] if you ask me

I agree....and there pants suck to.

I was issued a Dickies insulated jacket at work (embroidered with company name and my name, make me feel "official" lol), and I really like it compared to Carhartt. Its really held up! Keeps me warm and dry when snow-blowing as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I1AETDA/ref=twister_B00L306VHC

Their work pants are great as well, very durable. Although I've never had them not wrinkle in the dryer. A quick ironing suffices.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Sierra Trading post carries seconds of Carhartt. That’s the cheapest you’ll buy them from a “store”.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~carhartt-jacket-/

I bought a Duluth Trading work coat to replace a Carhartt and it seems better.

Yeah this. They run big (now)-- I had to return my new 2XL even though my 6 y/o 2XL fits fine.

I had a Carhartt "Traditional Work Jacket" in black.

It was cut like a suit coat, so therefore I couldn't move my arms freely because of it.

If I raised my arms up to reach for something, the whole jacket would raise up. I eventually got rid of it.

carhartt-j002-blk-f_01.jpg

Love my Carhartts. I usually plan ahead. I have an Army Navy store about 20 minutes from me. They deep discount there stock after winter is over. I always get the J133 jacket. Have no idea what there full price is but I get them for $75 around late March. And I also get the insulated hoodie.

Don

I'd look into Duluth Trading specifically the Superior Work Jacket I own one it's tough and most likely you'll sweat your a$$ off in it I actually don't wear it and working in it unless it's 10F or lower it's good to -25F easy.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I was issued a Dickies insulated jacket at work (embroidered with company name and my name, make me feel "official" lol), and I really like it compared to Carhartt. Its really held up! Keeps me warm and dry when snow-blowing as well.

I've never owned a Dickies jacket, but this one interests me:

http://www.dickies.com/outerwear/flex-sanded-duck-mobility-jacket/TJ376.html

Quote:
Interior and exterior construction works together for extended movement
9.8 oz Duck, 98% Cotton/2% Spandex
Flex fabric for ease of movement and comfort
Bi-Swing back
Stretch sherpa fleece lining for warmth and flexibility
DWR (Durable Water Repellent)
Reinforced cuffs for enhanced durability
Media friendly interior pockets
Flex fabric for ease of movement and comfort

I will have to try one on in the store, to see if it is warm enough for winter work in my yard (shoveling snow, running the snow blower, etc). And it doesn't hurt that it costs significantly less than Carhartt.

Carharrt has a "flex" jacket also, costing $40 more than the Dickies:

http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-workwear/Full-Swing-Armstrong-Active-Jac-102360

Quote:
Created using feedback from workers who wear Carhartt on the job, this men's jacket offers the freedom of movement you need to get it done. Made of wind-resistant cotton duck, the jacket is fleece-lined for warmth. Stretch panels between the shoulders and at the elbows let you swing a sledgehammer or lunge a pushy horse with ease.

12-ounce, 100% cotton sandstone duck canvas
Full Swing® was developed with insight from our Carhartt Crew, a group of hardworking folks who wear our gear on the job day in and day out and let us know what they really think
All Full Swing® gear is built broken-in to help you move like you mean it 24/7 and features stretch across the shoulders, arms that move free without the jacket riding up, and bigger bend in the elbows
Built to move with Rugged Flex® stretch technology; Stretch sherpa lining in upper body and stretch fleece lining in lower body
Attached, fleece-lined hood with adjustable drawcord closure
Internal rib-knit storm cuffs with ergonomically shaped sleeve hems
Left chest pocket with zipper
Inside pocket with hook-and-loop closure and zipper
Two lower-front pockets
Back length: Large regular: 28 inches; Large tall: 30 inches

Last edited:
Most Carharts aren't even insulated, they're just duck cloth with quilting; there's no insulation between the duck or the inner liner. Overpriced [censored] if you ask me, you're paying for the name like most name brand trendy clothes. If you want heavy duty insulated at a great price, look no further. I got one at Big R. LOVE IT

https://workingperson.com/polar-king-mens-376-27-brown-insulated-hooded-duck-jacket.html

So what exactly is the inner liner (or felt, quilted, etc.?) then if it’s not “insulation”? No, it’s not a more advanced poly blend like Thinsulate (unless your get their black lined Arctic series) but insulation is insulation. The difference is just the type and cost.

I already have to pay 8-3/4% more than most TSC shoppers … so tend to buy their CES brands …

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Most Carharts aren't even insulated, they're just duck cloth with quilting; there's no insulation between the duck or the inner liner. Overpriced [censored] if you ask me, you're paying for the name like most name brand trendy clothes. If you want heavy duty insulated at a great price, look no further. I got one at Big R. LOVE IT

https://workingperson.com/polar-king-mens-376-27-brown-insulated-hooded-duck-jacket.html

So what exactly is the inner liner (or felt, quilted, etc.?) then if it’s not “insulation”? No, it’s not a more advanced poly blend like Thinsulate (unless your get their black lined Arctic series) but insulation is insulation. The difference is just the type and cost.

Insulation is insulation, and most cotton duck jackets don't have any. Exactly my point. By insulation, I mean 3m thinsulate or old school bonded polyester fill. The one I referenced above has polyester fibers between the cotton duck outer and quilted inner. You can wear a t shirt under it in a blizzard and stay warm. Carhart does have a few insulated ones that are very nice, but they are expensive, hence the point of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back