All season recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for her FWD Volvo S60. New tires are needed before winter, but we'ere holding off for sales. My dad has had great luck with Pirelli P7's so honestly I was going to go with that.

Was at Tire Barn today for an unrelated reason and the guy told me they sold more Michelin Defenders than anything all-season wise. I checked out Consumer Reports and sure enough they're number 1. Also sure enough, they don't make them in the size I need.

Anyone else have any recommendations? She currently has Hankooks which aren't the best IMO.

General altimax rt43 has good reviews and ratings. They're exceptionally quiet too. Not bad in snow for a non-snow tire.

If you want something cheaper than Nokian entyres are good too. The original and the 2.0s. Have both tires on the prius(2.0s on the front after pothole damage to the original). Slightly more road noise during the summer compared to more expensive tires but still quieter than Falkens.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
General RT43 seems to be BITOG's perennial favorite if you are looking for good bang for buck.

+1
I have a set on the Camry and have no complaints.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What price range?

Continental DWS 06 or Sumitomo HTR A/S

The Pirellis on my XC60 are total [censored].

In general I really really like Sumitomo tires and I've had excellent luck with their HTR ZIII in a max performance summer tire. However the tire rack reviews for wet traction on the HTR A/S are very very poor, as were the findings of the tire rack official test of the tire, which they cited as needing improvement in wet grip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Anyone else have any recommendations? She currently has Hankooks which aren't the best IMO.

Which Hankook and what was their UTOG? Hankook has some high UTOG rated tires and they seem to wear well for me and are much more cost effective that Michelin.

Last edited:
What size do you need?
smile.gif

For the midwest, if you're using only one tire year-round, you may want something with the 3-peak symbol. For example, the Vredestein Quatrac 5, Nokian WRG3, Toyo Celsius, or the Goodyear WeatherReady.

This is for her FWD Volvo S60. New tires are needed before winter, but we'ere holding off for sales. My dad has had great luck with Pirelli P7's so honestly I was going to go with that.

Was at Tire Barn today for an unrelated reason and the guy told me they sold more Michelin Defenders than anything all-season wise. I checked out Consumer Reports and sure enough they're number 1. Also sure enough, they don't make them in the size I need.

RT43's are a great VALUE tire but are given to tramlining.

The Continental PureContact ("with EcoPlus"... sigh) is a better tire. Don't compare TireRack's ratings across different tire types, a better ranking tire in a lower category (Standard Touring) is NOT a better ranked tire compared to a higher category (Grand Touring).

I've had mine for 40K and they're the best A/S tires I've ever had. I've never had A/S rain traction this good, new or at 40K. You didn't give your wheel size so I can't see if they are available for your car.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=188
"After driving on all four tires it's easy to say it's a tight race for the top spot. Any one of these tires will deliver a nice driving experience out on the road."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What size do you need?
smile.gif

For the midwest, if you're using only one tire year-round, you may want something with the 3-peak symbol. For example, the Vredestein Quatrac 5, Nokian WRG3, Toyo Celsius, or the Goodyear WeatherReady.

235/45-R17

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What price range?

Continental DWS 06 or Sumitomo HTR A/S

The Pirellis on my XC60 are total [censored].

Honestly it doesn't matter if they're a good tire.

$500-$600ish max I guess.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What size do you need?
smile.gif

235/45-R17

Great
thumbsup2.gif

All the tires I suggested seem to be available in the size 235/45-17

The Continental DWS 06's seem like a great buy.

Discount Tire has them for $131 each.

I have the Michelin Defenders and Sumitomo HTR AS P02 on my Odyssey and Maxima respectively. Both are great tires. The only fault I can give the Sumitomos is they only ship new with 8/32 of tread, IIRC. 11/32 or so is the norm for new tires. They seem to be wearing very well, however. Grip is superb in most all conditions I drive in, even in rain. No complaints toward either. The Michelins were nearly twice the price as the Sumitomos, not sure I got that much extra value out of them--- they do look like they will last marginally longer despite being on a heavy minivan.

I'm happy with the Defenders - Michelin now makes an updated one, the first couple of production runs were prone to wearing out quickly. Never driven a car with RT43s, they seem like a good bang for the buck tire.

The Volvo is more of a "performance touring" target for the likes of the Michelin Premier A/S and Primacy MX series/Conti PureContact/Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus or a sporty all-season like a Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or DWS 06.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I have the Michelin Defenders and Sumitomo HTR AS P02 on my Odyssey and Maxima respectively. Both are great tires. The only fault I can give the Sumitomos is they only ship new with 8/32 of tread, IIRC. 11/32 or so is the norm for new tires. They seem to be wearing very well, however. Grip is superb in most all conditions I drive in, even in rain. No complaints toward either. The Michelins were nearly twice the price as the Sumitomos, not sure I got that much extra value out of them--- they do look like they will last marginally longer despite being on a heavy minivan.

the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 starts with the full 10/32 tread
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back