Fram XG and K&N filters cut open - no pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram was from 2003 deville, 9800 miles and as expected perfect in every way. Mobile 1 5-30 for high mileage. About half way through added Liqui Moly MSO2

K&N was from 2015 Durango 3.6 8700 miles and perfect except very slight wavy pleats in a few places. New K&N went back in and like the last new one, pleats go in straight. Castrol Titanium 5-20 and liquid moly MSO2, next time Fram XG going in.

One thing to note the Durango has had a slight lifter tick for the first 1 second at start up since new. Once the Liqui moly went in and after the third start up/drive that noise is almost not noticeable, way less that before but still there just barely audible.

When doing the OC on the Durango I followed instructions and loosened the oil filter cap before draining (actually removed it), after pan was drained I replaced the oil filter and once it was screwed all the way in more oil began draining out the pan, about another pint. As it was screwing down the last few turns I cold feel it pushing down a spring. Anyone else experience this? Seems odd to me. Last oil change I already had the plug back in before installing the new oil filter so don't know if it happened before?

Also when I put the first K&N in I measured it against the old Mopar filter and was same length including the bottom Oring section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess no one had this happen on a pentastar V6 oil drain, next time after I pull the filter I will look in the canister to see if it has oil trapped in it. Also for those who really wanted pics just look at this post, looked same LOL
Fram Ultra XG7317 - 12,049 miles - Cut Open

Last edited:
I just changed the oil on both of my vans a couple weeks back and everything went normal as it always does. I do not "feel" a spring when turning the oil cap on the '14.

The FU I took out was pretty wavy, it only had about 7500 miles on it. I bought a couple new FU's and was not impressed with the plastic cage at the bottom (with the o ring). They both had excess plastic bits on the corners of the legs of the cage. I returned them for MO-349's.

I installed the new filter while the oil was still draining and did not notice more oil drain.

Originally Posted By: RD_3
I just changed the oil on both of my vans a couple weeks back and everything went normal as it always does. I do not "feel" a spring when turning the oil cap on the '14.

The FU I took out was pretty wavy, it only had about 7500 miles on it. I bought a couple new FU's and was not impressed with the plastic cage at the bottom (with the o ring). They both had excess plastic bits on the corners of the legs of the cage. I returned them for MO-349's.

I installed the new filter while the oil was still draining and did not notice more oil drain.

I have been buying Wix ones for my FIL's PentaStar because of this very issue with other manufacturers.

The oil had all but stopped draining when I screwed the filter down and another 1/2-1 pint came out. Had it been still in the normal drain I would have never noticed it. I will be inspecting the FU I have on hand, I did not notice anything like that on the K&Ns. There is a spring in the cap I wonder if the bottom -O-ring did not slip in at first causing the spring to compress some? I hope the end did slip into the hole otherwise I would bet filter is bypassing? It did seem like towards the end I didn't feel the spring anymore like maybe the bottom slipped into place.

Last edited:
First OC I just loosened the oil filter cap until draining was done and I put drain plug in before I replaced the filter. Next time I will be looking in the canister to see if there is still oil in it after the filter is removed. I'm sure the filter bottom oring was oiled but it is an oring so I assume there is some tension on it as it goes in the housing.

I'll have to take note. I remove the cap and filter, then drain the oil. I let it drain at least an hour. When I collect the oil for recycling, I have [censored] near 6 quarts of oil to recycle, so I doubt there's a 1/2-1 pint hung up in there that would drop when installing the new filter.
21.gif

just cut another fram ultra, 2007 wrx 9800 miles no issues once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back