Any Castrol 0W40 Edge Synthetic Users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started using the Castrol 0W40 Edge synthetic oil in a 2006 Jeep Rubicon 4.0L I-6 ...Looks to be an ideal long mileage oil designed for BMW , VW , etc. A3/B4 oil which I plan to run 10K OCI's with a Fram Ultra oil filter . It's an interesting 0W40 oil - different than say the 0W40 M1 oil that has different specifications ... Your thoughts ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
It's an interesting 0W40 oil - different than say the 0W40 M1 oil that has different specifications ... Your thoughts ?

M1 0w40 and edge 0w40 carry nearly the same specifications and are targeting the exact same Euro market.

M1 recently stopped carrying the bmw ll01 spec... lots of threads and speculation about it on BITOG.

Edge 0w-40 is a fantastic oil. I’ve been using it for a while now. It’s a true GroupIV oil with a very stout additive pack... all for less than $5 a quart. Hard to beat. It’s one of those oils, like M1 0w-40, that you could probably use in just about any application with great results.

I happen to think Edge 0w40 is a near perfect match for the old 4.0 if you are going to run full syn in it. About the perfect viscosity and starts well at all temps. I ran it in mine for close to 11k (single OCI). Would have refilled with it but did not since the Jeep may be sold soon. So it got GTX instead.

Mine ran great on it, the 4.0 tends to like oils with strong add packs IMO and Edge 0w40 has got it. I did not do a UOA but was likely dumping oil that still had some good life in it at 11k. Gotta love the Euro oils for long OCI's.

I am very sold on this oil and am running it in our KIA as well for 10k OCI's, need to change it today in fact I am over 10k.

Plus 1 KCJEEP AS I’m gonna put some EDGE 0w40 in the Camry today or tomorrow
smile.gif

Castrol Edge 0w-40 is quite different in add pack (high mag, lower calcium) vs. Mobil 1 0w-40 (high Ca, high Moly/Boron). There are relatively few A3/B3 certified oils that are high magnesium. Castrol Edge 0w-40 is one of them. Just looking at the add packs, I would think M1 is the stronger one. Castrol 'may" have the Edge on holding viscosity/less shearing....just a guess though....as it still carries the LL-01 cert.

I recently switched from Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Extended Performance to the Castrol EDGE 0W-40 you're referring to in my little Toyota Tacoma with 175,000 miles.

I can't say I notice a difference using one versus the other, but at least my truck doesn't leak (knock on wood) and passes the smog test with flying colors!

smile.gif

Ed

Been running it ever since I got my first VW back in 2013. Used it just about everything we had, the old Equinox, Expedition. Would run it in the Jetta for a yearly OCI which equaled anything from 5K to 8K a year. Doing 5K max in the GTI now.

I've used either. Goes in a Mercedes E-350. They do have a sticker on the car which recommends Mobil 1 and that's what they stock at the dealership although I think they have one 5w40 that isn't normally sold at retail. But I got a bunch of Castrol 0w40 and 0w30 at Autozone for $2/quart so I'm still using it up. I've been doing 9-10k oil changes on it, seems fine, but then again, they both meet MB 229.5 which is what the car calls for.

Originally Posted By: car51
Lil’ off topic here but why did M1 drop the BMW spec? Can’t find a answer to this

There was a thread in January of 2016 about it, at the time I had a new container that still had the certification. A guess on my part is that it was either late 2015 or very early 2016.

Actually here is a post (from that thread) where the poster says November 2015:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3989558/Re:_Oil_recommendation_for_my_#Post3989558

Edge 0W-40 is a great PAO Group IV based Euro long life oil. It has all the certs SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40 with a TBN above 10 and a Noack below 10%.

In Europe many people run it for something like 2 years and 20,000 miles which is a bit long for me, but it shows you what it is capable of.

Here is an Edge 0W40 VOA (Link) that gives it 1090 ppm Zinc. Which is typical of these 40 grade A3/B4 Euro long-life oils. It also shows a KV100 of 13.45 cSt and what I take to be a TBN of 10.25 based on a Ca (1878 ppm) and Mg (513 ppm) detergent package.

Also from another thread we are given these values
Quote:
NOACK 9.1%
MRV 22,800 @ -40C
HTHS 3.7 cst (from Edge tds)

Ref: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3011024

Last edited:
I'm currently running it in my Grand Cherokee SRT, so far I'm happy with it. Zero consumption, and a bit quieter than the SOPUS SRT 0w-40 (it's a bit heavier). I've got enough for at least the next three oil changes on hand too.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Here is a Edge 0W-40 UOA from mid 2015
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3840615/

It shows
Ti 48 ppm
Ca 1986 ppm
Mg 615 ppm
Zn 1188 ppm
As the significant metallic adds

And another UOA here from 2017
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4560360/
Ti 50 ppm
Ca 2399 ppm
Mg 169 ppm
Zn 1051 ppm
B 31 ppm

Looks like they may have reformulated yet again. Less Mg and more Ca....going back towards M1 type numbers. The UOA shown was proceeded by
Edge w/o titanium. If an older version with higher magnesium, it could have skewed the mg numbers in this sample.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: SR5
Here is a Edge 0W-40 UOA from mid 2015
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3840615/

It shows
Ti 48 ppm
Ca 1986 ppm
Mg 615 ppm
Zn 1188 ppm
As the significant metallic adds

And another UOA here from 2017
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4560360/
Ti 50 ppm
Ca 2399 ppm
Mg 169 ppm
Zn 1051 ppm
B 31 ppm

Looks like they may have reformulated yet again. Less Mg and more Ca....going back towards M1 type numbers. The UOA shown was proceeded by
Edge w/o titanium. If an older version with higher magnesium, it could have skewed the mg numbers in this sample.

That’s my UOA. That fill and the one before it were both the newest formula of EDGE 0W-40 “titanium.” However, note that the UOA also includes two 300ml bottles of Liqui-Moly motor oil saver (ester based seal conditioner), so actual additive ppm are probably slightly higher.

Thanks for sharing KC !
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I happen to think Edge 0w40 is a near perfect match for the old 4.0 if you are going to run full syn in it. About the perfect viscosity and starts well at all temps. I ran it in mine for close to 11k (single OCI). Would have refilled with it but did not since the Jeep may be sold soon. So it got GTX instead.

Mine ran great on it, the 4.0 tends to like oils with strong add packs IMO and Edge 0w40 has got it. I did not do a UOA but was likely dumping oil that still had some good life in it at 11k. Gotta love the Euro oils for long OCI's.

I am very sold on this oil and am running it in our KIA as well for 10k OCI's, need to change it today in fact I am over 10k.

I would run it in the Jeep and the Volvo if they had more rebates like XOM. It's a very nice well rounded oil. I don't need a NFL blanket either. Seems to be all they have rebates for..

I've just now crept up to 5k OCI's on her Volvo. Even if Castrol is "better," I don't think I run OCI's long enough to see the benefits. We're still doing some decent cleaning. Going on 3 years with M1 0w40. No oil additives. I can't wait until the valve cover needs replaced. Sadly, I don't think she shares my enthusiasm.
27.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back