Break-in Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new 2017 Honda Accord 2.4L and want to break-in engine properly. The dealer said that Honda puts in break-in oil at the factory. Is this true?

What do you mean by break-in engine properly?. Engines can't help but to break in .

I changed out the Castrol factory fill in the Jetta in signature at 4700 miles & replaced with Castrol Edge 0W40 & Fram Ultra. For me, I like getting the break in material removed kinda soon on a new motor. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CT8
What do you mean by break-in engine properly?. Engines can't help but to break in .

The owners manual says the first 600 miles to break in engine. Now Honda has changed that wording from past Honda's I have owned. They use to say 1000-1500 miles. I know how to break in the engine and keep rpm's down, just wondered if anyone could verify about the factory fill question.

You will not hurt the engine with an early oil change. Found this in my oil filter housing when I changed out the factory fill at 1,000 miles. I'm glad I did!

If it was mine I'd run the oil to 1,500-3,000 miles (depending how quickly you rack that up) and change to whatever you'll want to run for the duration. For the first 5-10K give it a little extra idle time before taking off and shutting down each day, use good gas (89 octane or better), and in the first thousand miles go out and give 'er a couple consecutive, hard pulls up to about 3/4 of redline up to 70 or 80 MPH to seat the rings, etc. well. This is about what I did with my Cruze and at 106K it's been trouble-free, returns excellent gas mileage, and uses no oil.

Your Honda came with synthetic or synthetic blend as the factory fill. As mentioned by another poster, when you change out the FF, just go to your choice of synthetic or blend right there as long as it meets Honda requirements.

From reports on here, Honda FF appears to be rich in moly.

FWIW, both the Hondas in my sig were bought new and I left the FF in for the full OCI.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

FWIW, both the Hondas in my sig were bought new and I left the FF in for the full OCI.

I would also lean towards this thought process....
How many new Honda buyers even THINK about "break-in"?
Less than 2%??

The typical Honda buyer is not a "gear-head".

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I would also lean towards this thought process....
How many new Honda buyers even THINK about "break-in"?
Less than 2%??

The typical Honda buyer is not a "gear-head".

This!

Last edited:
Tooling is so good today that engine break in is not required. Leave the OEM oil in it, drive it conservatively for a few hundred miles and don't worry about it. Or better yet, let the wife, girlfriend, paramour, inamorata, squeeze et.al. drive it for a few weeks.Enjoy your new vehicle.
smile.gif

When I bought my 85 Accord, the manual said 1000 mile break in. Since then our Toyotas say 500 mile break in period. Drive it according to your owner's manual then change the oil at the recommended 1st oil change.

Originally Posted By: Buckeyeman
I just purchased a new 2017 Honda Accord 2.4L and want to break-in engine properly. The dealer said that Honda puts in break-in oil at the factory. Is this true?

Vary the RPM's as much as possible without abusing / lugging the engine. Drive reasonably. Then dump the factory fill in a few thousand miles.

My aunt and cousins drive Civics and followed this advice and have had piles of trouble free miles.

From reports on here, Honda FF appears to be rich in moly.

It’s not actually the oil. Engine assembly is done with moly rich grease and sealers that get absorbed into the FFOil and assist with break in as posted by many Honda techs here and elsewhere on the nets.

I ran my FF in my ‘08 CRV to the MM OCI and have passed 256K miles without a single bit of engine trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back