What kind of Mechanic/DIY person are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not
I do simple stuff
Average
I do complicated stuff
I am a professional!

I would say I am about average.

I'm average. Alternators, fluid changes (obviously!) did a drivers half shaft on a Villager, clutch on a Ford Probe. Radiators, bypass filters, brakes.
I did turn plugs and O2 sensors on the lovely spouses T&C over to a pro. They had the equipment to test coil on plugs, and remove all the intake stuff to get to the rear bank to correct a misfire and catalyst efficiency codes.
I'll try a lot, I figure it's broke, I cant make it worse. And I've seen some of the guys that work on stuff, I'm as smart.

On my 528es, I did everything but a Trans R+R that my wife insisted I have done "professionally" The guy messed up the Drive shaft and the shift cable.

I think we're all well above average compared to an average home DIYer. Probably closer to Average to just below average compared to a mechanic.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'm average. Alternators, fluid changes (obviously!) did a drivers half shaft on a Villager, clutch on a Ford Probe. Radiators, bypass filters, brakes.
I did turn plugs and O2 sensors on the lovely spouses T&C over to a pro. They had the equipment to test coil on plugs, and remove all the intake stuff to get to the rear bank to correct a misfire and catalyst efficiency codes.
I'll try a lot, I figure it's broke, I cant make it worse. And I've seen some of the guys that work on stuff, I'm as smart.

Same here - Average.

I used to do engine and transmission rebuilds but now I have professional partners who help me with testing, teardowns, and rebuilds.

Just don't have the time for a lot of gearhead/handson.

I'd say I'm in-between simple stuff and average.

Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." More involved repairs get sent out to my indy.

I would attempt more if I had a garage and more tools. Working outside sometimes sucks!

Also Thank God for YouTube videos that have good tips.

I will all that I'm comfortable with and have time for. Didn't have time to deal with a rear brake shoe caliper on the Rav. I don't have experience with drum brakes and it needed to get fixed immediately.

Also, took the Rav4 to a professional for a fuel pump. I started the job but was scared I'd burn my house down and for the $100 in labor, didn't want the risk.

Another thing I consider is how difficult it will be to put it all back together if I can't do the job after I've started. Years ago, I changed out the intake manifold and carb on my Buick but couldn't get the timing set. Started to change the clutch on a Merkur but abandoned the project and junked the car.

Guy I worked with replaced the engine on his little econobox out in his driveway over the weekend and then took it to the local garage for a tune up.

average is relative. Average for a DIYer but DIYers are not average. I'm shocked that I work at an engineering firm with MEs and EEs and very few actually know how to diagnose common problems in their own car.

This what I'll do myself with only my 13 gal air compressor, HF impact wrench, $70 floor jack / stands and traditional hand tools and a bench mounted vice. The only extras are special tools like canister oil filter wrenches, etc. Oh and my LFH, MFH and BFH to apply a little southern persuasion.
smile.gif

Radiator/transmission/PS/brake fluid/motor oil changes.
Change my own disk and drum brake pads and rotors/drum.
Radiator hoses
Serpentine belt
Tire rotations
Drive line U-joint changes
Spark plugs
Air filter
Shocks/struts/coliovers
Valve cover gaskets
battery and Alternator change
Dash lights

This is what I'll have professionally done
tire mounting
wheel alignments
Deep invasive engine work (head gaskets, timing belts/chain. internal water pump, camshaft seals, transmission rebuild, etc

Anything more involved than that the car goes to the dump.
smile.gif

Average for BITOG?

Processional for the average american.
smile.gif

I'm above the below and below the upper, I'm stuck in the middle where money gets tight.
Really though, I was once a design/functionality engineer, ME, so I can figure things out, but i'm to the point now, I would rather pay someone to fix it.

On cars, up till the 80's I was a professional mechanic with my own shop, and many loyal customers and very good word of mouth advertising. Once the cars got started getting more computerized I got lost, and since my OPE business had gotten large, I switched to it. I am still a pro OPE mechanic, but recently retired. For cars, All I can do now is fluids etc. Of course my classics, I can work on those.

Average; I've swapped camshafts and intake manifold on small block chevys, I've replaced brakes, head gaskets, radiators, hoses, belts, alternators, shocks, and anti-roll bars on cars ranging from a Datsun SPL-311, BMW 2002, BMW Bavaria, T-Bird Turbo Coupe and Mazdaspeed3. I've also rebuilt SU, Holley, and Quadrajet carburetors.

I suppose some of this depends on time and money. Many have no time or see time as money. It is not worth the hassle or time to do repairs.

There is skill and there is time. At this point I have above avg skill but not much time and all vehicles needed weekdays.

At 17 I pulled the 289 engine from my Mustang and rebuilt it, sending it out only to have cylinders bored and crank ground. Learned a lot.

Knowing how but not actually doing something is extremely valuable.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Average; I've swapped camshafts and intake manifold on small block chevys, I've replaced brakes, head gaskets, radiators, hoses, belts, alternators, shocks, and anti-roll bars on cars ranging from a Datsun SPL-311, BMW 2002, BMW Bavaria, T-Bird Turbo Coupe and Mazdaspeed3. I've also rebuilt SU, Holley, and Quadrajet carburetors.

Anyone who goes deeper into an engine or trans to me is above avg.....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
On my 528es, I did everything but a Trans R+R that my wife insisted I have done "professionally" The guy messed up the Drive shaft and the shift cable.

528es?!?

I never knew such an animal existed
crazy.gif

Average when it comes to fluid changes (oil to diff fluid and anything in between) as well as tune ups (plugs, wires, dist. cap & rotor) plus whatever category my resume puts me in when it came to my own maintenance beyond that. In order of car owned:

1975 Nova - took out the engine and interior once I snapped a second flywheel
1998 Dodge Dakota (dads truck) - Fuel pump was about the only major thing I did beside replace a water pump. He let a mechanic handle most of the work that thing needed.
1996 Dodge ram - ball joints, upper intake plenum plate, timing chain, water pump, dash replacement, speaker install, headliner replacement
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee already lifted 6.5" - replaced shocks, Currielync steering upgrade, rewired sound system (speakers, amp, head unit)
1990 Nissan 300ZX - A LOT! bigger brake upgrade, 120K timing kit 3x (various reasons), fuel injectors, gaskets, suspension (Coilovers, control arms, tension rods, bushings), rear main seal, ptu relocated, fuel pressure/oil pressure/voltmeter/water temp gauge install. Probably more, I've nearly taken this car to bare bones and have reinstalled several things but a lot more to do.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee LEMON - rebuilt the front end with all new parts, tie rods, ball joints, the works. Also did timing chain and intake plenum plate. Lot of work on that thing for nothing, it had way too many issues to keep.
2009 Matrix - spark plugs? Haven't really done much beside fluids since Toyota makes a fantastic daily driver
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 - 2" lift kit coils & shocks, balljoints, outer tie rod, rewired speakers with a new aftermarket amp, timing chain, water pump, intake manifold gaskets
2002 Infiniti G20 - replaced the engine with a JDM engine, replaced all the seals/gaskets beside the oil pan gasket, shocks, new aftermarket sound system (wiring, head unit, amp)

Nice trip down memory lane haha

I've learned a lot, broke a lot, and know I have much more to learn. Actually starting a General Service Tech job soon.

Edit: My reasoning for considering myself average is all things I've done I didn't have to go to school for. YouTube, FSM's, forums and common sense make a lot of things possible. Oh, time and money too of course! I would consider a mechanic who has a shop with above-average tools, specifically diagnostic equipment, to be in line to be considered a professional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back