Carry extra mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering when you carry how many of you carry an extra magazine? I live in MA and we can only have 10 round mags so depending on clothing I sometimes carry an extra.

By the way Massachusetts feels that anything above 10 rounds in a handgun is excessive and thus dangerous to the public. Thank god we have such smart people making decisions for us!

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Thank god we have such smart people making decisions for us!
thank god the voters elect and reelect those smart people making decisions for us !

Luck favors the prepared. Chances are your not going to drive your car very far, do you really need a 16 gallon fuel tank ? Do you really need a car that will go 100 MPH ? and on and on.
Life is not like TV, one shot does not typically drop an assailant.

Last edited:
On duty I carry two extra 46 rounds total (.40 cal) and have always felt adequately prepared. Fortunately never fired a shot in danger in 27 years although very close more times than I would have liked.

Always throw a spare mag in my pocket for personal carry. Not even noticeable or annoying for the small single stack guns I favor for personal defense. When doing church duty I sometimes will even carry two.

I carry a Kahr CW380 with an extra mag in my back pocket(Recluse Holster) all the time. I add weapons/ammunition to that depending on the situation. When I go to school, I have at least my FN FNS L .40 with 3 mags, plus 60 more rounds for the FNS and 6 for the Kahr in my messenger bag. I can carry a Kel-tec Sub-2000 in the bag, if I want. Sometimes I carry a Kahr CT9 or an extra CW380 in other pockets(Recluse). I would prefer to carry an extra weapon AND ammunition, as opposed to just extra ammo. Depends on the situation. The recent Wal Mart shooting in this area sure has me re-evaluating, though.

If you're going to carry a semi auto pistol for protection, carrying it with an extra magazine is nothing more than good common sense. Magazine carriers are unobtrusive, and can be carried along with the pistol, in a rig without any loss of mobility or comfort. If nothing else, an extra magazine can simply be carried in one's pocket. You may never need it. But that is hardly a good reason to not have it.

People should pack all the ammo they feel comfortable with, but I'm trying to imagine a concealed carry/personal protection scenario that cannot be handled with 10 shots, or less.

Help me out here.

Never felt the need to carry. I guess lucky I live in what I feel is a safe area. But I would think one loaded weapon is enough. A self defense or crime stoppage incident is not a firefight in Iraq.

I have never carried. I've never felt that unsafe. I do keep a .380 in the car when on long vacations. But I totally get why many do.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I imagine that all the training won't prepare one well enough for when they have to draw and fire. I totally get that you may need more ammo, and you will not be as calm and collected as you are on the gun range.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have a CCW. I feel comfortable with 6 rounds. Are you that bad of a shot you need more rounds?

Its shucky darn time to run out of ammo when the bad guys haven't. When I carry my 9mm with 17 round clip I have one in the gun and two more in my pocket.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
People should pack all the ammo they feel comfortable with, but I'm trying to imagine a concealed carry/personal protection scenario that cannot be handled with 10 shots, or less. Help me out here.

More and MORE crime is happening in "gangs" (meaning two or more) and NOT "single actors"

Originally Posted By: Donald
No need if not law enforcement.

More and MORE crime is happening in "gangs" (meaning two or more) and NOT "single actors"

NO ONE is a "dead-eye" shot when under stress!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone thinks 6 shots is "more than enough" to protect oneself against a gang of 2, 3 or more.... you are inadequately unprepared.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Some times many shots won't stop a determined bad guy.

Computer or battery (head or heart) is the only sure way to stop them.

Constitution says nothing about magazines (since they didn't exist, DUH) .... [insert illegal political discussion here]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back