Expanding foam to fix basement leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A house we recently purchased has a couple of small leaks in the basement. Well, not strictly 'in' the basement, but under the front and back porches (which are cellars). The cellars are accessed by man doors, and have block walls on 3 sides; the fourth side is also block wall, but is the outside of the actual basement walls. Above each cellar is a concrete porch, both of which have recently been decked over with wood. They did a nice job, and both decks do slope away from the house slightly. Of course, I have no idea what the original concrete porch does underneath, and I really don't want to rip up both porches to find out. What I can see in both cellars is that where the concrete porch meets the outer basement wall, there is a thin fir strip in between... that's it. No Sealant of any sort. That's where there is a slight leak. The other 3 sides of each cellar all have what looks like tar paper where the wall and porch underside meet.

So with that being said, I was thinking of caulking or spraying some waterproof expanding foam from the underside to stop the leak into the cellar. From what I can see, this would not trap any water. Rather it would eventually force it off to one side or the other, where it would just fall to the ground outside. Does this sound plausible? Thankfully these are storage cellars and not liveable space, but a leak is a leak and I want it gone!

Or try Sikaflex concrete fix if the gap isn't really huge; that stuff is amazing and easy for small problems like this. Stays flexible for years and years. Best concrete caulk you can get IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Or try Sikaflex concrete fix if the gap isn't really huge; that stuff is amazing and easy for small problems like this. Stays flexible for years and years. Best concrete caulk you can get IMO.

Another vote for concrete caulk.

Also, flexible spray rubber can help as well. I used it in my basement where my main water line comes through. It has stopped all water from coming through plus, it's clear so if I didn't tell you you would never notice.

A lot of times sealing the leak only ends up with new leaks. Try to drain the water away first then seal the crack with caulk. I used to have issues with water going into my basement so I ended up digging a small 6" deep trench that ran along the outside wall and drained the water away from the house. Haven't had an issue yet. You can fill the trench with loose gravel if it gets in your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back