'16 Colorado - 6,647 miles on oil - RP 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Colorado v6 Z71
6,647 miles on oil
11,749 miles on motor
RP 5/30
K&N filter

I refilled with RP / K&N filter, but after that I am going PUP 5w30 with a Fram Ultra.

Iron looks high compared to universal averages, but the engine is still new. Looks like pretty healthy dose of fuel in the oil as well. The Royal Purple isn't really a boutique oil, nor does it really impress here. I'd be looking for another choice of oil as well.

Thanks for the report!

I haven't been impressed with RP (Dexos) oil at all. Very pricey for what you actually get. I ran PUP in other vehicles in the past and I will go back to that. I am interested in the UOA and will publish them once I get enough miles.

That 3.6 V6 Colorado is a nice little truck. I usually run either Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 in mine alone with a Fram Ultra filter.

That's nothing for a 11,000 miles old engine. I had similar or worse wear on my V6 engines at that mileage.

I wouldn't read to much into wear numbers until you at least over 40,000 miles.

RP changed their formula about 1.5 years ago....it went from a high sodium, VSP clone to a no sodium, high moly and boron formula. I like this newer formula better but only when I can get it as cheap as other syns.

I don’t know anything about GM engines, but I bet you’re still working through break-in metals. I’m guessing fuel dilution is what’s causing the oil to drop out of spec. I wouldn’t run the OCI any longer than you have until that works itself out. Any maybe try another oil to see if it holds up better...

Nothing wrong with PUP or Royal Purple but if I had a GM vehicle I would use MOBIL 1, it has all the GM certifications(no warranty hassles) , it's readily available and you can find a deal somewhere on it, plus use the oil light monitor if your truck has one.
Best of luck
TOTO.

Towed 600 miles on this oil, otherwise its a 50/50 mix of city and highway.

If I used the OLM on the truck I would have easily went a 1000 miles or more past where I changed it, 38% when changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back