Dipsticking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two F-150 2.7 Ecoboosts. I have been checking the oil extremely often since we bought them. I was sampling the one today, and I checked the oil before started it, after it had been setting all night ( about 33 deg. F.) I have checked it after setting overnight before, but when temps were in the 50's or 60's overnight. I noticed then, as now, there is a huge difference between hot and cold. Even more so today. It is consistently a quart less reading off the dipstick when dead cold compared to 20-30 minutes after shutdown when hot. I think this is probably the biggest disparity I have seen on one of my personal vehicles.

A whole quart difference due to colder ambient temperature seems extreme. I usually only see ~20% change in oil level between say 60~70 deg F and 190~200 deg F when the oil is hot 20 after shutdown. Wouldn't expect that another 30 degrees colder in ambient temps wouldn't make the level then go down another 80% on the dipstick. Maybe it's only 1/2 qt between lower and upper marks on your dipstick?

perhaps the relationship is not linear due to a number of things - shape of pan or volume of components or pickup higher up in the pan. Also, the dipstick may feed in at a varying angle. in my experience, ford doesn't really go out of the way to make any of their dipsticks linear and incremental like other manufacturers have. I certainly wish topping off my transmission after exchanging fluid didn't take me a half hour of incremental adding and driving for the last half quart

On the 2.7L ecoboost, you need to get it up to temperature, then shut it off and wait 15 minutes to check the oil.

My last few Fords (Explorer and my current F-150) have had horrible dip sticks. I’ve found I have to insert them just the right way (the humps/bumps facing down) to get a repeatable reading. I also have to give the dip stick at least 4-5 minutes to soak after I’ve cleaned it off, otherwise it won’t have a correct reading. I haven’t noticed a difference between hot and cold. Not sure how the 2.7 is, but I don’t have any confidence it’s any better.

I get over a quart difference on my IS, cold seasons show higher levels(fuel in oil). No measurable difference between hot and cold engine though.

"My last few Fords (Explorer and my current F-150) have had horrible dip sticks. I’ve found I have to insert them just the right way (the humps/bumps facing down) to get a repeatable reading. I also have to give the dip stick at least 4-5 minutes to soak after I’ve cleaned it off, otherwise it won’t have a correct reading. I haven’t noticed a difference between hot and cold. Not sure how the 2.7 is, but I don’t have any confidence it’s any better."

Totally agree. I usually have to make 8-10 pulls over a few minutes to get any consistent readings. My daughter's Focus is even worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back