Hop, skip, maybe a jump.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, need some opinions here... Vehicle at hand is a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6-spd.. Last week out of nowhere something weird started happening.

Issue: Low RPM in any gear from 3-6... under acceleration (not even hammering on it) the tires feel like they are skipping and I get some shudder out of the rear end. The only way I can explain it to anyone is it feels as if I am driving over the grooves that let you know you are on the shoulder. If I let off the pedal and then give it a light foot, it's fine.

Note: Tires are brand spanking new- I replaced them because they were old and when this started happening, I thought it could have been a loss of traction given the low tread depth.

I am open to all comments/suggestions- I am not quite sure where to begin at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Did it start with the new tires?

No, prior to the tire change. Sorry, I could have worded that better. I made the tire change because this started happening. I thought the low tread depth and age could have been the issue. I was wrong.

Bad driveshaft u joints or rag joint or driveshaft support bushing or a rear suspension bushing. Just guesses but something to check out

Last edited:
Probably either the differential or a bad u joint. Possibly a bad transmisison mount

U-joints wouldn't be intermittent.

Clutch working OK?

Possibly a wonky rubber mount somewhere....

Differentials usually fail SPECTACULARLY when they do.
I have broke a few in my life, and have always been utterly *amazed* at the carnage
(gears hate having big metal chunks wedged into them)

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Are you sure it's not your clutch slipping and causing a shudder?

I would consider this if it were coming out of a shift at low RPM, however, it can happen after sitting in gear, coasting to a lower speed, then pressing down on the gas again. Clutch feels good to be honest.

As far as all the drivetrain opinions, I guess I am going to have to get under there if I can find some time this weekend and have a look. Was really hoping it wasn't anything to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back