Which high mileage oil has the most seal swelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1MZ-FE Camry just started to leak oil from the valve cover which is a common issue. Willing to give HM oil a chance, which brand has the most seal swelling additives? I'm partial to M1 but will buy whatever has the highest chance of stopping the leak.

Thanks for your inputs!

I have found the HM oils good on tired front or rear main seals...not so good at valve cover gasket leaks.

I change them.

IF your engine is the V6 and it's the back VC then HM oil will not work for you. My grandsons 2002 Camry had to have the VC gasket replaced twice which is a real pain. He tried everything . No dice.

Originally Posted By: tig1
IF your engine is the V6 and it's the back VC then HM oil will not work for you. My grandsons 2002 Camry had to have the VC gasket replaced twice which is a real pain. He tried everything . No dice.

What about Mobil 1 HM? Will that work?

If I were you, I would replace the valve cover gasket. It's very easy to replace it and the gasket is very cheap. You can find lot of DYI video in Youtube.

I don't think the HM seal swellers have any effect on silicone seals. I think they have to be rubber. The auto industry has been slowly moving away from rubber seals.

Originally Posted By: ST2008
If I were you, I would replace the valve cover gasket. It's very easy to replace it and the gasket is very cheap. You can find lot of DYI video in Youtube.

This ^

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

This ^

It is a 4hr job to replace the valve cover gaskets on both banks. The rear valve cover requires removing the manifold and moving the engine wiring harness a bit. Not a easy job by any means.

I still encourage replacing the gaskets. No amount of seal swelling will fix this problem.

Are you kidding? The valve cover gaskets are almost IMPOSSIBLE to replace on the 1MZ and almost any transverse V6
mad.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
31.gif
Trolling.gif
29.gif
43.gif

If you do replace them, get either Beck/Arnley or Mahle/Victor Reinz. Either brand will be reboxed OEM gaskets. While you're back there, replace the spark plugs and wires. Get NGK wires, and Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs. I know a lot of people don't like Bosch, but the 1MZ uses special 2-prong double plugs, and in a transverse V6 with no cutouts for the back plugs without complete disassembly, iridium is a MUST! And the only multi-prong iridium made for the 1MZ is the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion (it has 4 prongs, which should be fine). Iridium should last at least 100k, whereas platinum is only good for 60k.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Are you kidding? The valve cover gaskets are almost IMPOSSIBLE to replace on the 1MZ and almost any transverse V6
mad.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
31.gif
Trolling.gif
29.gif
43.gif

If you do replace them, get either Beck/Arnley or Mahle/Victor Reinz. Either brand will be reboxed OEM gaskets. While you're back there, replace the spark plugs and wires. Get NGK wires, and Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs. I know a lot of people don't like Bosch, but the 1MZ uses special 2-prong double plugs, and in a transverse V6 with no cutouts for the back plugs without complete disassembly, iridium is a MUST! And the only multi-prong iridium made for the 1MZ is the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion (it has 4 prongs, which should be fine). Iridium should last at least 100k, whereas platinum is only good for 60k.

Better yet, don't buy a vehicle with that type of engine.

Did VC gaskets on a Olds Aurora (transverse V6). Wasn't stupidly easy but wasn't too hard, either. Worst part was sopping up the oil out of the spark plug wells first. Yes, it was leaking that bad.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't think the HM seal swellers have any effect on silicone seals. I think they have to be rubber. The auto industry has been slowly moving away from rubber seals.

If you had rubber oil seals in your engine, the swelling would be impressive. They moved away from leather seals, but there was no rubber seals to move away from.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

mad.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
31.gif
Trolling.gif
29.gif
43.gif

Holy [censored]! You're [censored] right! I did some search and it is a suicide mission to replace the valve cover gasket in this engine. This convinces me to never buy a V6 engine car.

Until I did the gaskets on this engine, M1 HM 10w30 leaked less than anything else I tried. But it still leaks. Doubt the op can get that?

The vcg’s on this engine are not that bad. Yes, you have to take some time to take the intake off, but it is neither rocket science nor requires special tools - just a little more time. Plus, you have to do it to change plugs every 100 to 120k anyway. Do both at the same time and it is well worth it. There are numerous how to’s on the web that make it is basically paint-by-numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
1MZ-FE Camry just started to leak oil from the valve cover which is a common issue. Willing to give HM oil a chance, which brand has the most seal swelling additives? I'm partial to M1 but will buy whatever has the highest chance of stopping the leak.

Thanks for your inputs!

HM's will condition the seals but NOT gaskets. Nothing short of replacement of the gaskets will solve your problem.

Not really a fan of transverse v6's either. My sienna has the 3mz and is still going strong at 281k miles. Probably not worth doing the gasket. Use a high mileage oil and top off every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back