What mod makes your car faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched many of this guy's videos, and he makes a lot of easy to understand common sense explanations of many subjects. In this case he is right on, it always comes down to traction.

Last edited:
He is making the "Spec Miata" argument. (a basic Miata with great suspension and tires) In other words, a car that corners and brakes very well, on excellent tires turns great lap times.

However, real world tracks often have long and very long straights where passing happens.

I took my turbo Miata out on Homestead with street tires. The Spec Miata guys who were ABSOLUTELY convinced they would turn faster lap times than me were downright surprised I lapped them in 5 laps.

In real world conditions, acceleration is the weakest force on the track or street. A car that can reach 168 MPH at Homestead is a whole bunch faster than a car that can only reach 105. And it does not take much of a straightaway to illustrate HP differences. Let's take his example and make the straights a little longer. Like the below:

hms.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Wait, it's not stickers?

I know, right? I was like "but but but I have a Type-R badge, MOMO and 10" tall "HONDA" on my windshield, I was CERTAIN that those mods made the biggest difference!"
lol.gif

Was that why Michelin had so much trouble in F1 because those cars couldn't run at full speed without fear of tires falling apart in a chicane or that teams had to send their drivers into the pits more often? I do notice the OEMs do gloss over tires, but they focus more on CAFE and NVH. Maybe Ferrari, Porsche and Mercedes have different performance metrics for tires?

Which is funny, Michelin does make the best DOT-legal summer performance tire and "all-season" performance tire(excluding DOT-legal slicks).

Originally Posted By: nthach
Was that why Michelin had so much trouble in F1 because those cars couldn't run at full speed without fear of tires falling apart in a chicane or that teams had to send their drivers into the pits more often? I do notice the OEMs do gloss over tires, but they focus more on CAFE and NVH. Maybe Ferrari, Porsche and Mercedes have different performance metrics for tires?

Which is funny, Michelin does make the best DOT-legal summer performance tire and "all-season" performance tire(excluding DOT-legal slicks).

They also make some of the best tires for GT type cars. Corvette Racing noticed about a 2 second drop in lap time just with switching from Goodyear to Michelin according to Dan Binks book.

Yawn, this guy didn't even crack a valve cover. Sure tires help...but once you start doing real modifications you get left on the straight sections even if your tires suck.

Get out and build something.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've watched many of this guy's videos, and he makes a lot of easy to understand common sense explanations of many subjects. In this case he is right on, it always comes down to traction.

I agree about traction is more important than more horsepower.

Yep, horsepower does rule.
In any class of car, all of the real runners will have similar braking and cornering ability.
In any such group, the more powerful car will always win.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Yawn, this guy didn't even crack a valve cover. Sure tires help...but once you start doing real modifications you get left on the straight sections even if your tires suck.

Get out and build something.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Wait, it's not stickers?

I laugh every time I see a Honda / VW loaded with stickers zoom past. Usually with rust, body damage and some other issues.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Yep, horsepower does rule.
In any class of car, all of the real runners will have similar braking and cornering ability.
In any such group, the better driver will always win.

Fixed it for ya

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
the rental mod
27.gif

That has always been my theory, too!

P.J. O’Rourke had a funny article on that years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back