2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost - Using Euro Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2018 3.5EB 10speed... planning on the first oil change

I read some owners of previous Gen 3.5EB and 2.7EB using oils such as 0W40 Castrol.
On the Gen2, would there be any benefit to using a Euro spec oil ACEA 0W30 or 0W40
oppose to a ILSAC?

Last edited:
Why don't you use a Ford spec oil while under warranty? The new Pennzoil Dexos 1 Gen. 2, QSUD Gen. 2, or Mobil 1 Gen.2 might be good, especially up there in Canada.

2017 FORD TRUCKS F150 PICKUP 3.5L 6 -cyl Engine [G] Turbo
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 6 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...20 ft/lbs

They don't have the 2018 up yet.

You never know what will come down the pike in a new model year. My son just bought a brand-new 2017 Focus with the 2 liter GDI engine. The spec oil? Motorcraft 5w20, nope, not by a long way, nothing like what we use in the other two family Focuses. This new guy gets WSS-M2C948-B 5w20 OR WSS-M2C913-C 5w30. The only source I've found so far for the 5w20 is Motul Specific 948B 5w20 (yes, that's what Motul calls it) or Motul Specific 913D for the 5w30.

These days it pays to RTOM.

0w-40 makes more sense than any "savings" (if any) that a 30 oil could bring on a TURBO engine. Idk why manufacturers want your engine gone that soon. 0w-40 it's a logical oil. Desu.

Just run a regular 15w-40 diesel oil in it and forget about all the marketing hype of thin syn oils. Every engine we have runs it here. My wife's edge has 206,000 miles and it goes 6,000 miles on oil changes and it still does not use any oil. My 13 3.5 eco in my 150 has had that oil since the day it came home. I am not going to stock all these different oils for the farm. Everything gets the same oil. We have never lost an engine yet to an oil failure.

What I didn't say in my post above is that the two oils for the Focus - 948B and 913C - are "Euro" oils. That's why Motul instead of Motorcraft. The 913C product looks good - HTHS of 3.1 and full SAPS.

Aren't higher calcium oils and especially ones with a Sodium additives adding to causing LSPI, especially in an EcoBoost? Mobil 1 5W-30 has less Calcium and added Magnesium instead. Plus it's Dexos 1 Gen 2 rated. For a 7,000 mile OCI in my 2.3 EcoBoost the Mobil 1 5W-30 performed real well.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: jaj
What I didn't say in my post above is that the two oils for the Focus - 948B and 913C - are "Euro" oils. That's why Motul instead of Motorcraft. The 913C product looks good - HTHS of 3.1 and full SAPS.

Yeah from what I can tell 913-C/D are Ford world oils, for all the world outside North America (NA), they are very high quality and based on ACEA A5/B5 specs. The latest one 913-D must meet A5/B5 but have a higher TBN (>10) for extended drains, plus pass a Ford cam chain/belt wear test which often requires high ZDDP levels.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4543378/

It's an excellent 5W30 oil and I suspect the only reason it isn't specc'd in NA is that the elevated zinc levels make it an API SL oil which makes it difficult in the NA market. For the rest of the world, seeing ACEA A5/B5 is enough, and it doesn't matter that it isn't SN. It's a high quality full synthetic 5W30 with elevated TBN (extended OCI) and elevated ZDDP (more wear protection), sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Just run a regular 15w-40 diesel oil in it and forget about all the marketing hype of thin syn oils. Every engine we have runs it here. My wife's edge has 206,000 miles and it goes 6,000 miles on oil changes and it still does not use any oil. My 13 3.5 eco in my 150 has had that oil since the day it came home. I am not going to stock all these different oils for the farm. Everything gets the same oil. We have never lost an engine yet to an oil failure.

Yes a mixed-fleet (diesel and petrol / gas engines) HDEO is a high quality oil that is designed for exactly what you are doing. One oil suitable for everything. The mineral 15W40 HDEO like Delvac, Delo, Rotella etc has been the fleet oil of many big companies for decades and is very highly developed and tested oil. Down time is worth millions to these big companies and they would not accept a product that didn't do it's job well

When I worked in an outback mine, the company ran Shell RimulaX (Rotella) 15W40 HDEO in everything. I worked in the diesel shed doing oil changes on trucks, cars, diggers, loaders, etc and we only kept one oil in stock. Big 200L drums of 15W40 HDEO. Those diggers and loaders ran massive turbos, big as a dinner plate and very hot. We ran those machines 24/7 in the mines, two 12 hour shifts per day. The operators would swap shifts in the diesel shed where I worked. The finishing operator would pass the loader to me, I would give it a once over, then pass it to the starting operator. We were like the heavy industry version of a racing pit crew. Hard work and good times.

Here is a UOA of Delvac 15W40 doing an excellent job in a Tacoma.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4560487/

OP, given my two posts above about Ford 913-D A5/B5 5W30 synthetic and 15W40 HDEO mineral, the oil you are interested in Castrol Edge or M1 0W40 A3/B4 sits nicely in the middle between those two and so I can't see it causing any problems.

In PCMO world, the Euro 0W40 A3/B4 synthetic oils are very high quality and carry great OEM specs like MB 229.5 and Porsche A40.

This thread has started me thinking:
- 5W30 A5/B5 synthetic PCMO
- 5W30 C3 & SN synthetic PCMO
- 0W40 A3/B4 synthetic PCMO
- 15W40 mineral HDEO (E7)
- 5W40 synthetic HDEO (E9)

Should cover just about every application in the world.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Mr. Thugzy,
What is the OCI in your Canadian manual?

Same as in the US
there is a Severe interval and a normal interval

Originally Posted By: Thugzy
Mr. Thugzy,

Same as in the US

And what are they?

Originally Posted By: Thugzy
Mr. Thugzy,

Same as in the US

And what are they?

5-8000kms extreme duty
8-12000km severe duty
12-16000km normal duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back