Dry Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh, I am feeling like a battery now. Typing and thinking about batteries
blush.gif

So, I received my motorcycle battery today and checked with Yuasa for the date code, they are saying battery is from 2006.

Code on top of the battery is : 6D02E and it's dusty. Although, everything else seems to be new!

Being old, will there be any impact on life of cells inside it? Now, should I pour acid in it or go back to amazon and get a newer one? Thanks for any advice and help.

The Yuasa AGM batteries are shipped dry, for the very reason that their shelf life is essentially indefinite, until the acid is put in the battery. It's fine.

Of course you can call Yuasa and ask their opinion.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
The Yuasa AGM batteries are shipped dry, for the very reason that their shelf life is essentially indefinite, until the acid is put in the battery. It's fine.

Of course you can call Yuasa and ask their opinion.

Thanks, I did check with Yuasa and they are stating "that it's better to ask for a recent one. But also, shelf life of a dry battery is really long."

Yeah, that's a very helpful response. Lol

I have contacted Amazon too, was really hoping to ride on Sun, but let's see what happens
smile.gif

as long as it held vaccuum (you should hear a slight his when removing sticker across top of AGM or vent tube cap from flooded battery) then you're golden. The only thing to worry about is longterm storage with air/moisture getting into the cells - can cause excessive oxidation of the negative plates, which isn't good. On a flooded battery, even if if you don't here a hiss, as long as the vent tube cover and all of the cell covers are installed tight, you should be fine.

Last edited:
FWIW....

We use to make the dry charged battery. Almost all the replacement submarine batteries were made like this for long term storage before use.

Basically the plates are immersed in a weak acid solution and then linked together and charged in open containers. After a charging profile of three days or so the plates are removed. The positive plates are then racked up and dried in ovens. The negative plates are racked up and allowed to air dry, they undergo a chemical reaction with the air and generate heat.

Then the negatives are put in a solvent and put under pressure and heat. This drives out any remaining moisture while chemically changing the paste in the plate to protect it from moisture until assembled.

Quote:
Abstract

The objective in the dry charging of formed negative plates in lead/acid batteries is to preserve the highly active sponge lead material from attack by atmospheric oxygen until the dry and unfilled charged battery is put into service. This review discusses the following methods that are commonly used for dry charging: (i) drying in a vacuum; (ii) drying by direct application of superheated steam; (iii) drying in an inert-gas atmosphere; (iv) removal of water by hot kerosene and subsequent drying in a closed kerosene vapour chamber and (v) drying in the presence of anti-oxidants. The protection of dry-charge characteristics, rapid evaluation of dry-charge quality and testing for excess wax or oil inhibitors are also described.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037877539380024J

^ does it mean that battery should be good to go being from 2006? I shouldn't be paranoid about it. Just pour acid and roll with it? Thank you.

You should add the acid, let it soak for 1/2 hour or so and then give it a boost with a charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back