Hyundai 2.0L turbo oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Santa Fe, my first ever import. Calls for a 5w30 (or 20) ACEA A5 oil.

Anyone have any suggestions for here in Ontario Canada?

The Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 sold here is an A5 oil. Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 is as well according to their website. Unless something's changed recently, they don't recommend XW-20 for the 2.0T here, only the 2.4.

banana2.gif
welcome2.gif
happy2.gif

Last edited:
I agree with wemay. I’m not sure if dexos gen 2 is available in Canada but any major brand of synthetic 5w-30 with that certification would be ideal.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
His warranty would be affected by using 0w-40.

Do you have anything to back that up? We had a long discussion here a while back on the subject, and no one was able to point to an owner's manual statement or anything else that would indicate a warranty would be in jeopardy by using a different grade than what is recommended by the manufacturer. It's a statement that is often said and repeated here but there really isn't anything that would indicate it is close to true.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
His warranty would be affected by using 0w-40.

Do you have anything to back that up? We had a long discussion here a while back on the subject, and no one was able to point to an owner's manual statement or anything else that would indicate a warranty would be in jeopardy by using a different grade than what is recommended by the manufacturer. It's a statement that is often said and repeated here but there really isn't anything that would indicate it is close to true.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2560033

Bladecutter writes:

Quote:
If the owners manual says only 0W-20, then that's what you will have to use. If it gives you a range of oils you can use, then you can choose any one of them that meets your climate and financial needs.

So there is just enough there to take what you'd like and form an opinion on the topic.

Read the owners manual then pick an oil that meets the specs. If you want some one to choose an oil for you Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: raggdoll
2017 Santa Fe, my first ever import. Calls for a 5w30 (or 20) ACEA A5 oil.

Anyone have any suggestions for here in Ontario Canada?

Welcome to BITOG!

I agree with wemay. I’m not sure if dexos gen 2 is available in Canada but any major brand of synthetic 5w-30 with that certification would be ideal.

I have a case of Kendall 5w/30 GT1 Max synthetic, but it doesn't carry the A5 spec...would you use that anyway?

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. Now has 125K. Just got the report back from Blackstone. I am running Penngrade Select 5W-30 with no issues. I went 5,500 Miles on the last oil change. That is the longest I have ever gone on that 2.0T. The wear was excellent and they said I could go 7,500 Miles. I would use a good synthetic 5W-30 and change every 5-6K with a good Extended Oil Filter like WIX XP or FRAM or Hyundai OEM. You should have no issues. Just make sure it is a good synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Weatherman995
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. Now has 125K. Just got the report back from Blackstone. I am running Penngrade Select 5W-30 with no issues. I went 5,500 Miles on the last oil change. That is the longest I have ever gone on that 2.0T. The wear was excellent and they said I could go 7,500 Miles. I would use a good synthetic 5W-30 and change every 5-6K with a good Extended Oil Filter like WIX XP or FRAM or Hyundai OEM. You should have no issues. Just make sure it is a good synthetic oil.

Kendall is a very good oil. But my concern is it does not carry the A5 spec, hence my question on using it?

Last edited:
Why is Hyundai still using temperature charts? Why not a mandatory single viscosity recommendation like all the other manufacturers do? Temperature charts are confusing to the average car buyer.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is Hyundai still using temperature charts? Why not a mandatory single viscosity recommendation like all the other manufacturers do? Temperature charts are confusing to the average car buyer.
Yeah, but then they'd just say to use 5w20 in my Sonata!

I like them allowing me to use 5w30 and 10w30

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Trolling.gif
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: raggdoll
Originally Posted By: Weatherman995

Kendall is a very good oil. But my concern is it does not carry the A5 spec, hence my question on using it?

OP, i'm not sure about your Owner's Manual but ours say that Quaker State is the 'recommended' oil brand. Well... there is no Quaker State product that currently has ACEA A5 approval. Have Hyundai explain that to you if they question why you chose something other than an ACEA A5 approved oil that is difficult to find.

Something else...
My 2.0T is a 265hp variant of the same engine in your SF. When the new A5 recommendation came out in 2016, i called and asked if any back spec'ng would take place. They said "no", you can continue using anything API SM or GF-4. Ummm, ok. So i say use any good synthetic that has dexos1 Gen2 approval (for LSPI and Timing chain) or, an ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 spec oil and call it a day.

Tough crowd here. The thin vs thick debate will never end. For this person, the 5w-30 will do just fine. Wemay gave two excellent choices.

Why not stick with the warranty recommendations? If something happens then there is no question on the kind of oil used. What may be more important here is the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah, but then they'd just say to use 5w20 in my Sonata!

I like them allowing me to use 5w30 and 10w30

That's probably what they'd do if they had to list one viscosity; either 0W-20 or 5W-20.

Why not stick with the warranty recommendations? If something happens then there is no question on the kind of oil used. What may be more important here is the OCI.

Interesting choice of words, I didn't know there were "warranty recommendations." In the owner's manuals I've seen there are grade recommendations, required specifications and that's about it. Where is the tie to warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back