Hengst E173L, 5+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled this filter out of my 530i at 106K miles... lost track of time and did not realize it's already been there for more than 5 years, although this only represented about 26k miles. It does not look too bad, IMO, but some of the pleats got deformed, possibly because the filter got wet at some point.

In my climate, I was supposed to be using a filter that has an added cotton pad at the bottom, to help isolate it from snow/slush. The new filter (Mann) has that pad - see last image.

24237554198_789ed2c8d5_o.jpg

26312260219_72185da488_o.jpg

38059051882_2210240097_o.jpg

26312260049_a32a9bcae4_o.jpg

As for as being loaded, looks good especially considering the time. Thinking about it, as far as I can remember never had an issue with dampness/moisture affecting the AF pleating, ie., no warped wavy pleating. Is the air box particularly close to the ground or exposed to the elements from another source? Or, is this mostly related to northern weather, snow/slush and normal?

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Or, is this mostly related to northern weather, snow/slush and normal?

Based on what I've read, it is normal on this car and that's why a filter with that extra cotton padding is suggested if you live up north. Obviously, I did not get the memo...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Or, is this mostly related to northern weather, snow/slush and normal?

Based on what I've read, it is normal on this car and that's why a filter with that extra cotton padding is suggested if you live up north. Obviously, I did not get the memo...

The factory doesn't always put in the cold weather filter for cars destined for US/Canada.

Did the Audi have the cold weather filter from the factory?

I know mine did not have it, which was why I put one in (and modded the intake grille to allow more direct air in)

I can only speak for the VAG products...the cold weather filters became standard when the mesh snow screen (also bug, leaf, plastic, dirt, small pets and children catchers, depending on boost levels) was removed from the intake tract design.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I can only speak for the VAG products...the cold weather filters became standard when the mesh snow screen (also bug, leaf, plastic, dirt, small pets and children catchers, depending on boost levels) was removed from the intake tract design.

You can only speak for the early MK4 TDI's.

Not all VAG products had the snow screen tube. Not all MKIV's had them either, and thus not all of them had cold weather filters.

My B6 Passat with the 2.0T motor did not come with a cold weather filter, nor did my Tiguan 2.0T.

BTW, cold weather filters aside, there is also a cold weather version of a CCV for my car. I had the original CCV replaced some time ago with the cold weather one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back