Sony Camera Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it's a battery season for me. Now looking for a camera battery for a Sony Camera. It takes NP-BG1, sony has it for $50, which I would rather not buy it.

ebay has a ton of them, so as Amazon. So anyone has any other suggestions? Of course, quality and low price are preference
smile.gif

An example below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1150mAh-NP-BG1-NP-FG1-Battery-for-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-W220-DSC-H55-DSC-H20-H10/362038210589?epid=102510870&hash=item544b28b01d:g:AsAAAOSwRMtZYz--

Thanks, I believe battery is toast since it's a few years old.

Also, when I plug in the charger, yellow light comes one but within 30 secs no lights shows up. Does it mean charger is gone or it's battery?

thumbsup2.gif

I'm a big fan of PWR+. I have bought various batteries (mainly for a laptop) and adapter cables from them over the years. Only good things to say about them. My last dealing with them was emailing them that one of the prongs in a 3-prong cable came loose. They mailed me a replacement for free.

https://www.amazon.com/PWR-Charger-Batte...s=pwr%2B+NP-BG1

THis link is for a battery AND a charger unit that plugs into the wall, for $18. Free shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Define 'few'.

Typically a Li-Ion battery should not be completely dead so soon, unless it was stored depleted for very long and continued to deplete itself to the point of no return.

Quote:
Also, when I plug in the charger, yellow light comes one but within 30 secs no lights shows up. Does it mean charger is gone or it's battery?

Hard to tell. Depending on how smart/dumb the charger is, if it detects a battery that is depleted too much, it may consider it unsafe and refuse to charge it.

Can you check the battery's voltage with a DMM? If the voltage is below 2V, I would throw it away.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Define 'few'.

I believe 7-8 years.

Let me check voltage of it, I think it might be 0 but worth a try.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've used the Chinese batteries from Amazon with no issues.

If so, then I can be a bit hopeful I guess!

Define 'few'.

Typically a Li-Ion battery should not be completely dead so soon, unless it was stored depleted for very long and continued to deplete itself to the point of no return.

Quote:

Hard to tell. Depending on how smart/dumb the charger is, if it detects a battery that is depleted too much, it may consider it unsafe and refuse to charge it.

Can you check the battery's voltage with a DMM? If the voltage is below 2V, I would throw it away.

It has 3 terminals and I checked by keeping one constant.

One voltage is 3.76 and other one is 4.12 V

Does it mean charger is bad?

+ and - should be the two outermost terminals (not the center one). What voltage are you getting there? If it's 4.12V, then the battery is pretty much full. When you put the battery in the camera, does the camera work? If not, then maybe your camera is broken?

+ and - should be the two outermost terminals (not the center one). What voltage are you getting there? If it's 4.12V, then the battery is pretty much full. When you put the battery in the camera, does the camera work? If not, then maybe your camera is broken?

Yeah, camera does work and take pictures and all. Tested it just now, but battery is draining out really quick. Does it mean bad battery? I believe camera is 8 years old.

Yeah, camera does work and take pictures and all. Tested it just now, but battery is draining out really quick. Does it mean bad battery? I believe camera is 8 years old.

Yes, after 8 years, the battery has probably lost a lot of its original capacity. I would replace it.

Yes, after 8 years, the battery has probably has lost a lot of its original capacity. I would replace it.

Ok, thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I am going to test this battery see how long it'll last and then probably order a new one!

eBay ones are really tempting...

Yes, after 8 years, the battery has probably lost a lot of its original capacity. I would replace it.

Maybe the camera too?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LaCocina27

Maybe the camera too?
smile.gif

grin.gif

Actually camera hasn't been used much, maybe like 5 time since I had it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LaCocina27

Maybe the camera too?
smile.gif

grin.gif

Actually camera hasn't been used much, maybe like 5 time since I had it.

The point is that a modern smartphone can take as good or better photos than a typical P&S camera from 8-years ago.
smile.gif

Probably that's why I didn't use it much in last 8 years! Lol

Alright, I'll keep using my phone and give this one away.

I would look for a genuine replacement if it was me. Those knock-offs are tempting because they're so cheap, but you run the risk of limited charge cycles and less run time per charge.

The point is that a modern smartphone can take as good or better photos than a typical P&S camera from 8-years ago.
smile.gif

01.gif

Good point, Quattro Pete. Things sure have gotten better. Still, though.. I bought a Nikon camera that's in between a P&S and a DSLR for filming because it goes on a tripod, so I can get what he is saying too
smile.gif

For readability, I had to respond to only one quoted text.

Charger rarely fails, battery often does, especially if sitting for a time (months) without a charge.

The eBay etc batteries are fine, unless LiON, where you want to be a bit more careful (all those "exploding battery" stories are due to cheap Chinese knock-offs; there is a circuit inside the battery that prevents explosion, some are substandard or not there at all).

The reason the SONY (or any OEM LiON) costs what they do is because they are from known good manufacturers that build them correctly so they don't catch fire. So the advice to look at at lest a reputable aftermarket brand is good advice.

For Video it's not true that a smartphone is "as good" as a dedicated video camera, but the latest still cameras are as good, sometimes better, at video. Pro videographers are using their Nikons and Cannons instead these days.

The secret to good video is 1) don't move the camera and 2) any movement you do make (panning, zooming in / out) should be done "painfully slow". Whatever movement you see in the viewfinder or screen will be multiplied 10x when you go look at the video later. Also NEVER use the "digital zoom" or any other digital effect. They do nothing you couldn't do later on the computer, while permanently recording inferior footage.

Although the image quality is not as good on a smartphone the biggest problem is the difficultly in holding them steady vs a video camera or an advanced still camera in video mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back