let go from a job last minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Worked 6 months for a small independent car dealership, that at times were slow but weren't horrible. Worked a whole day then the manager who is good said I wasn't fired but "let go as they were strapped for cash, and can't afford me." Anyone else have this happen to them? I guess the business "hemorrhaged money last quarter." This explains the bank coming by. It was a little sudden though, wouldn't most places give you a heads up?

Never a heads up when letting someone go.
The last job they do can come back and haunt for a long time depending on the client.

Last edited:
I had a job that laid me off during the middle of the day, middle of the week. They went under a month later.

I guess it's up to the company whether or not they give you a warning. If I was going to be fired, fire me right away and don't wait till a Friday afternoon.

It is funny that employees are expected to give 2 weeks notice but employers generally give none, although you will generally get at least two weeks pay afterwards in my industry.

For a budget layoff, they usually won’t let you know ahead of time. Employee could sabotage the company, steal documents, damage things, etc.

You are the fall guy for bad management. Owners should talk to Richard Rawlings for a garage rehab . Look at the positive. They could have kept you, then say they can't pay you. You end up spending money suing them for back pay. Cutting you loose with a check is probably for the best. Try a larger dealership, you have a history on your resume now. I'm sure they will give you a referral.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
It is funny that employees are expected to give 2 weeks notice but employers generally give none, although you will generally get at least two weeks pay afterwards in my industry.

We live in a state where no notice (RTW) is required by either party.

I did exactly that when I retired from the last Aerospace company.

I came in to the office, grabbed my personal stuff, walked out and called the second level manager and said "bye, been nice to know you and the work has fun."

Had the shoe been on the other foot, they would have never thought twice about walking me out the door.

Last edited:
Giving 2 weeks is a courtesy. if you have another job lined up to go the next day so be it. I have no qualms about no notice.

If you have been with the company for years they can be courteous and offer severance, but usually they will just cut you loose without notice. Unless its a family business, the employee is a commodity to the business and you will usually be treated as such.

Last edited:
Giving 2 weeks notice, or whatever the HR department has determined, is not only a courtesy but also risk management. In the HR world, they will check with previous employers to see if you are the right candidate for the job. They are restricted from asking too many questions so the industry standard is "Would you hire them back?".
If the answer is no then they will not offer you the job.
If you do not give the 2 weeks notice, you will be marked as "non-rehirable" in your HR file and the answer to the prospective employer's "hire back" question will be "no". So you will be a tainted good for a long time.

Yep. I was let go from my very first corporate job many years ago that way. My manager walked me into his manager's office after lunch on a Friday to tell me my job was no longer. ~50 people lost their jobs that day, with many in the following few days. It was a heartbreaking experience that I wasn't expecting.

It's not a reflection of you as a person. Just the way things are. B-D, a major supplier of medical syringes, is investing sixty million in our local facility to switch over from glass to plastic syringes. The company has partnered with our local junior college to get current workforce trained on the new equipment. Going back to school seems to be worse than being unemployed to some employees as they have turned down the opportunity for training and will be without a job by 2020. I have a hard time understanding that.

Lawyer and HR types have advised to not let folks know unless you are willing to keep them on payroll and assist in job searching … even in that case they are told spend your last 120 days looking for work … not working here …

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

If they give you two weeks of pay that's not bad right? A lot of times they don't want employees to have bad feeling to sabotage things so they rather you not stick around.

The same goes for moving to a competitor, they tend to walk you out right away when you give two weeks notice and pay you two weeks. I know people who intentionally say they are going to competitor, get 2 weeks of pay, and then show up the next day at another company (may not even be a competitor).

Last edited:
It's all just business. Don't you make yourself into a victim over something like this? It's your choice.

Tighten up your belt and go get another job. Do ever use the expression "looking for a job". Pick one out and don't look back.

Don't waste 2 seconds wondering what happened. It's 2 seconds you'll never get back. Use this "event" to learn how to live on a budget, pay cash for what you buy and pay yourself first instead of creditors. You've got a long life ahead of you and learning is better than complaining. Experience is more valuable than worrying about what you might have done.

What did happen to you is called "life". Don't deprive yourself of the experience by getting sidetracked into believing something is wrong.

And don't forget to check your oil. It doesn't know you're in the middle of a new adventure.

Yea, i had a no warning once. I was about to leave for lunch with the other guys. Boss came by and asked me to his office right now.

Had a helper with boxes and an cart waiting at my office. Maintenance was changing the lock on the door.

My coworkers came back, there was a meeting.

There was a file on my computer named weekly backup. They used it. Formatted all the disks(pre-network) with extreme prejudice. It even asked for floppies, which were filled with all work and no play makes (my bosses name here) a dull boy. My real weekly backup program was named Jeeves. I kept the floppies off site at my home. I brought them back the next day, after setting them on a HUGE speaker magnet.

The changing of the locks was very insulting. I am an engineer. I could have used my ham transmitter and directional antenna to crash all the machines in the machine shop at random intervals from several blocks away, if I had wanted to hurt them, which I did not. I could also have made calls to regulation agency’s and there would have been a recall, mask programmed processor. But why, I have friends still there. It would hurt them much more.

Rod

Last edited:
From 1979 to 1999 I took at least 2 classes per fall and spring semister to keep up to date with the auto techmnology. I rather enjoyed it. 2000 I retired from the industry.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Giving 2 weeks notice, or whatever the HR department has determined, is not only a courtesy but also risk management. In the HR world, they will check with previous employers to see if you are the right candidate for the job. They are restricted from asking too many questions so the industry standard is "Would you hire them back?".
If the answer is no then they will not offer you the job.
If you do not give the 2 weeks notice, you will be marked as "non-rehirable" in your HR file and the answer to the prospective employer's "hire back" question will be "no". So you will be a tainted good for a long time.

Dictionary defining reason to be your own boss and work under the "auspices" of your own helm and "rule" because of the simple FACT that you will never know something simple and elementary as 'what makes someone happy', and it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt when you see the turnover and recidivism rates of jobs as well as in the arena of crime and punishment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back