1994 Acclaim -new to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a back up vehicle for a while.I used to have a 93 Dodge Spirit and found it to be fairly comfy and economical. I was looking for something like that,actually I wanted a Dynasty.While bouncing around Craigslist I ran across a 1994 Plymouth Acclaim for sale about 2 1/2 hours away.So me and the wife took a ride and went to check it out.1994 Acclaim 3.0 v6,3spd auto with 63k, 1 owner.White with peeling roof and hood with a blue interior in good shape.

When we got there I saw the car parked in a driveway and pulled in to look at it.A lady came out and talked with us.The car beloned to her boss who owns a car lot and lives across the street and he had been letting her drive it to the local college(parking decal for the college on the windshield).While talking with her her boss pulls up at his house he had been on a test drive with a young couple and sold them a Maxima.He then came over and I inspected the car and he gave me the back story on the car .1 owner car that had been sitting up a few years(parking permits fora nearby county school in 2013).Then donated it to a charity who sold it to this guy(the paperwork supported this story).All the fluids looked good- fresh oil,trans fluid was medium red,radiator had no sludge noticeable.I had him crank the car while I watched the tailpipe...no smoke.He said the car was in good shape but needed a tune up as the ignition stuff looked like the original equipment.

We then took it for a test drive of about 5 miles.Everything went smooth ,trans shifted good ,brakes were quiet not grabby or noisy,a/c would blow you out of the car.My wife quietly asked me if the mileage was correct and if the engine and transmission were good in this car.I told her that this was a good engine/trans combo.My wife is an import driver she like Hondas,Acuras,Maximas but she silently mouthed at me "Buy it".So I did .I drove it home through Friday night Atlanta interstate traffic speeds of 30-80mph.No problems.

I have now had the car for about 3 weeks and have a few observations.There is a Havoline o/c sticker for 5w30 .The radio is the original audiovox am/fm/cassette and the speakers are the original bottom line speakers.I was worried about the car having set up and was adding Marvel Mystery oil to the gas.I had to drive back up to his house a few days after I bought it ,he had neglected to give me some of the tax paperwork.While talking with him he disclosed that when he bought the car it had a full tank of gas so he drove it.For about 250 miles and then the car would not crank.He had to have the tank dropped and fuel pump and filter replaced.Bonus for me!

I have now ran 3 tanks of gas through the car with mpg results of 25.1,28.5 and 26.4.I alternated MMO and injector cleaner in the tank.Better than my Buick although not quite as comfy.I have done a transmission pan drop,filter change and fluid replace of 4.5 qts.I have NGK V-power spark plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor coming from Rock Auto and will do the tune up in a week or two.Probably a radiator fluid clean and change also.What type?My Spirit owners manual called for ethylene glycol,the Acclaim has an amber fluid in it.Which type I don't know.Old orange or red maybe?I have also did the turkey baster Brake fluid replacement.The brake fluid was brownish.In a few weeks I'll repeat that.

It sounds like you did well however, you left us all in suspense, not telling us how much/little you paid for the car.

I am familiar with that car as I know many folks that have owned them. Are you sure that the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 isn't equipped with the 4 speed auto. I do remember the 2.5L 4 cylinder models being equipped with the 3 speed auto...but anyway!

Congrats and good luck,

CB

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It sounds like you did well however, you left us all in suspense, not telling us how much/little you paid for the car.

I am familiar with that car as I know many folks that have owned them. Are you sure that the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 isn't equipped with the 4 speed auto. I do remember the 2.5L 4 cylinder models being equipped with the 3 speed auto...but anyway!

Congrats and good luck,

CB

It's a K-car, he was paid to take it.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Congrats and good luck,

CB

No, they did match up the 3spd with the V6 in the minivans as well. The 4spd of that era got replaced 3 times in our Caravan, the 3spd in our neighbors Caravan just worked.
I had the 3spd auto in my 95 Neon and it was quite good really as long as you were on 55 roads, it just did its thing and I could usually do a pass without it even unlocking the TC.

I paid 1400,he tried 1500.That is a bit higher than you can find them but lower than book price.I felt for the shape it is in that was a good price.No rust and 1 ding the size of a dime.It has the 3 speed.That was available with the v6 the last few years of production ,as a response to the problems with the 4speed trans .It is a member of the K car family,as was most of Chrysler family in that era.But did not look like any of the early ones like the Aries or Reliant.I had a Dodge 400 which was an upgraded sporty aries.It was a good car other than problems with the Holley carb.

That's a good deal. That model is an A body, used in Acclaim, spirit and Lebaron. I presently own 4 A bodies. A 94 Acclaim with 228K miles and a blown up trans. I'm going to salvage the engine and tires, the rest goes to the JY. A 91 Spirit with 208K that needs an engine and tires. A 89 Spirit that has been upgraded with an R/T interior and exterior, waiting for a suitable engine. And another 89 Spirit LE with a good turbo engine for an organ donor .

A bodies have good chassis and are easy to work on.

Good luck,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back