2013 Jeep Wrangler | PP Euro L 5w30 | 4,326 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping for a little better, but this isn't bad. TBN has held up well which was my concern for ACEA C3 oil on US gasoline containing more Sulfur than diesel fuel. The Jeep is driven mostly in town averaging about 30mph speeds. One way commute is 7 miles. 30 mile highway runs during weekends.

Incidentally, manual says it's ok to use 5w30 ACEA C3 in the Jeep. You kind of have to read between the lines because they say "SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS- 6395 is not available." What you'll find is that 9.55535-S1 are ACEA C2 oils and 9.55535-S3 are ACEA C3 oils.

I landed on 5W30 with my 2016 Rubicon as well. I read between the lines too. I went with PU. From what I've been told they shed copper from the oil cooler for a long time. I'm about another 6-8 months away from a UOA.

5w30 in my brother's Pentastar too. Not a C3 though. Just Synpower 5w30.

I think it was placed strategically on the next page?

You did 4300 miles and the TBN was 3.6 which looks good to me given it's a mid-SAPS C3 oil. The iron wear at 12 ppm is fine.

The C3 oils are high HTHS (3.5 cP or above) and typically have KV100 of about 12 cSt for a 30 grade, yours ended up with a finishing KV100 of 10.7 cSt which is bang-on for an ILSAC 30 grade. That's what I like about Euro 30 grades, they finish up where most start.

Yeah, lots of these engines show high copper, it seems fairly normal for them. All up looks like a fine report to me, I recon you could probably go 6000 miles.

Does anyone know if valve guides in Pentastar engine are made of copper alloy? Perhaps that's the reason these engines show copper on a higher side?

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Does anyone know if valve guides in Pentastar engine are made of copper alloy? Perhaps that's the reason these engines show copper on a higher side?

The valve guides are not copper, they're cast iron or powdered metal, the copper is from the oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Great #'s. What were the other oils used? You changed the FF at 104 miles?

I probably wouldn't read too much into the earlier results and wouldn't take those as an oil performance indication given the engine was new.

No, FF I changed at 684 miles right after break-in period which is mentioned in the manual. At 104 miles I simply took a sample to see how much wear a brand new engine has to begin with. All this data tells me that UOAs before 30,000 miles are probably meaningless.

Thanks for the response - the numbers are consistent overall despite the wide variance in oil brands and type. Engine is still breaking in after 40k. Very good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back