2002 Tacoma 3.4L 5VZFE Delvac 15W40 4,901 Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 5 gallon pail of 15W-40 left over from a truck I sold, so did a summer run of it in my Tacoma. I'm surprised at how well this did for a cheap conventional. I realize 5K miles is conservative.

Oils in the report are:
Delvac 1300, , Mobil 1 TDT, Mobil 1 TDT, Pennz Ultra, Pennz Ultra, Pennz Ultra

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice run. Your motor just didn't like the PPU at those OCI's. What oil weight was the PPU?

GII+ with HTHS north of 4 in both the past/current blend … have used in my 2010 5.3L VVT …

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Nice run. Your motor just didn't like the PPU at those OCI's. What oil weight was the PPU?

The Pennzoil Ultra was 5w-30.

Certainly amoung the best … I only took a pause from the Delvac Super when Delvac 1 went on sale …

Originally Posted By: madibob
Originally Posted By: FZ1

The Pennzoil Ultra was 5w-30.

I should add, this is the old Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that went extinct around 2012. It's NOT the pure plus version.

A good mineral 15W40 HDEO like Delvac is a great oil for a warm climate.

You did 4900 miles for a very low 3 ppm iron and a strong retained TBN of 4.9 and a nice high 1100 ppm zinc.

A mate of mine races a WRX with the boost turned up to 22 psi and this is the oil he uses. The mechanic who tuned his engine told him to use it, so now he uses it in everything.

Maybe your motor didn't like all that calcium in the PPU,or the lower vis in the PPU. Maybe both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back