Toyota Transfer Gear Oil 75W VOA

All,

If you own a recent vintage Toyota 4x4, this VOA should interest you.

For the transfer case, Toyota specifies a very special oil for which Amsoil and RedLine do not have a substitute. You have to special order this fluid from Toyota, at a cost of about $55 a quart! I have provided this VOA for your consideration. Looks different than any normal Gear Lube I have seen. It comes in these one-quart cans:

Here is the VOA:

That's very interesting, I have never seen phosphorus so much higher than zinc, it was my understanding that they are on the same molecule which is why raising one usually raises the other close by.

First time I am every hearing this. Which transfer case are we referring to, because most FSM for vintage Toyota trucks call for plain old 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil GL4 OR GL5, which to me says anything really.

The requirement for 75W in the Toyota Transfer cases began with the 2014 Tundra, and I believe, the 2016 Tacoma. It started even earlier in some Toyota models, but I am less sure about these: I think 2011 and newer Rav4s and Highlander 4WD.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
All,

For the transfer case, Toyota specifies a very special oil for which Amsoil and RedLine do not have a substitute. You have to special order this fluid from Toyota, at a cost of about $55 a quart! I have provided this VOA for your consideration. Looks different than any normal Gear Lube I have seen. It comes in these one-quart cans:

Here is the VOA:

Nope, Redline has it!! "Toyota has a special oil" OEM oil yea right, NOTHING special with OEM oil. Other then cheap group 3.

https://www.redlineoil.com/75w85-gl-5-gear-oil

Nope, Redline has it!! "Toyota has a special oil" OEM oil yea right, NOTHING special with OEM oil. Other then cheap group 3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mainia
Originally Posted By: btanchors
All,

Here is the VOA:

Nope, Redline DOES NOT have it, nor does Amsoil. I called Redline a few months back, and emailed Amsoil. Neither company has anything they recommend for the transfer case. Since they are in the business of selling oil, why would they not recommend their own products for this application?

Now, for the front and rear differentials, you ARE CORRECT - the Redline product you quote is correct. But for the transfer case, it is not correct.

My personal belief/suspicion is that most dealerships use regular 75W-90 in the transfer case, and quite frankly, I doubt this would hurt the transfer case, but this choice is not what is recommended by Toyota, nor do the makers of those gear lubes themselves recommend their products. The VOA I posted also speaks for itself - it is much lower in viscosity than even 75W-85, and the additive package is a lot different.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Redline PSF has the additive mix and viscosity closest to the Toyota elixr.

PSF as in “power steering fluid” PSF?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Redline PSF has the additive mix and viscosity closest to the Toyota elixr.

PSF as in “power steering fluid” PSF?

That's the one.

Thank-You btanchors for starting this thread. I posted here and in a new thread the results. Thanks

So whats the consensus on this? Right now I have Amsoil SVG 75w90 in my Rav4 transfer for 20k. Transfer and rear have been through 3 drain and fills prior to the SVG fill and all is well at the moment.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a real consensus. Both on here and on the Tundratalk.net forums, some people are using the OEM, some 75W-90, and others, something else.

For me, I am sticking to the OEM, particularly because my vehicles are still under warranty.

I'll say the transfer case did produce a lot of material initially and less after the drain and fills. Still got a ways to go before I drain and refill with SVG. I'll definitely post up anything pertinent at that time.

Back