How I got my first BITOG "stash" !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's wintertime and with it comes 2 things, 1. Mates seek to upsurge their oil bountys and 2. Men seek the annual "pilgrimage" to local auto parts store seeking that unicorn in the sky oil that is steeply discounted or even on clearance as a discontinued item!! I hit the motherload on a classic clearance oil and upon reading happily, I made phone calls, some were wrong leads or I was unable to complete a sale (had one guy tell me he was sending these units back to manuf or something). Then I was advised correctly by a guy over the phone about this one particular location that had over, get this, over 18 quarts and 4 of those one gallon jugs!! You would think I had an easy sale and guess what, the guy actually sold all those units for that astronomical low price!! For the price of some top tier oil and a filter (30), I got what amounts to 50,000 miles worth of oil!! Can you believe my bounty and booty, arrr me pirate bretheren, huh can ya?!

There are still many quarts out there. I got so much oil on me I actually failed to go to two locations yet still.. You see I spoke to the guy over the phone but he wanted to charge me 200.00 for all of his but that was a hardball one that I didn't show up for and yet another one who wanted to sell his quarts for 1.50 instead of the .85 cents but he only had 4 units. Kinda nickled and dimed me. They are out there but you have to find the right spot with an easy sell.

What do you guys think of my pilfering of 50,000 miles worth of oil in a matter of seconds and instantly creating my first oil stash! Anyone have similar stories of their first bounty and "kill"? OR how about the current Idemitsu stuff out there?

Last edited:
You broke the first rule of deal hunting.

Never call.

It just tips off the store employees that there's a deal so that there's none when you get there. Or they tell you they don't have it while they're busy moving it to the back of the store.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Never call.

It just tips off the store employees that there's a deal so that there's none when you get there. Or they tell you they don't have it while they're busy moving it to the back of the store.

Agreed. NEVER EVER tip the employees off.

I recently waltzed into an AAP and scooped up the remaining 20+ quarts of Quaker State for $0.45 a quart. The guy cashing me out was shocked. Had I called and he rang up that price, I have no doubt he would have jacked them to himself.

I walked out a happy customer with the employee crying his eyes out behind me.

When I hit AAP last month, I had some QSGB that rang up at $1.25/jug. The sales clerk immediately ran over the to the shelf and took the last 3 jugs for himself. None of that would have been there had I called ahead.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
It's wintertime and with it comes 2 things, 1. Mates seek to upsurge their oil bountys and 2. Men seek the annual "pilgrimage" to local auto parts store seeking that unicorn in the sky oil that is steeply discounted or even on clearance as a discontinued item!! I hit the motherload on a classic clearance oil and upon reading happily, I made phone calls, some were wrong leads or I was unable to complete a sale (had one guy tell me he was sending these units back to manuf or something). Then I was advised correctly by a guy over the phone about this one particular location that had over, get this, over 18 quarts and 4 of those one gallon jugs!! You would think I had an easy sale and guess what, the guy actually sold all those units for that astronomical low price!! For the price of some top tier oil and a filter (30), I got what amounts to 50,000 miles worth of oil!! Can you believe my bounty and booty, arrr me pirate bretheren, huh can ya?!

There are still many quarts out there. I got so much oil on me I actually failed to go to two locations yet still.. You see I spoke to the guy over the phone but he wanted to charge me 200.00 for all of his but that was a hardball one that I didn't show up for and yet another one who wanted to sell his quarts for 1.50 instead of the .85 cents but he only had 4 units. Kinda nickled and dimed me. They are out there but you have to find the right spot with an easy sell.

What do you guys think of my pilfering of 50,000 miles worth of oil in a matter of seconds and instantly creating my first oil stash! Anyone have similar stories of their first bounty and "kill"? OR how about the current Idemitsu stuff out there?

Unbelievable.........

Respektos! Only a few BITOG Legends can pull off 50,000 miles for $30.

having someone on the inside tip you off is priceless!
esp when they want some of the loot and management wont let employees buy any!
found that out when a local big box retailer dumped all their old stock m1 at $0.25/qt.
the kid that stocked the shelf saw me rake everything off of 3 shelves into a cart.the bearhug a bunch and drop it in the cart method.
he seemed upset that his nice orderly job was wiped out in seconds.
i told him that if there is more in backstock just leave it in the cases and haul it out.
he did and then he told me he was afraid to even approach me about it after seeing what i did.apparently one of his coworkers got beat up by a customer who looked like me.
and that he was forbidden to buy any of it!
i told him to leave his trunk ajar and i would load him up on my way out.
i also left him my card.
knowing what is getting clearanced before anyone else?
PRICELESS!
he moved on from that job but once he found out what i do he is a regular customer for ecm mods,repairs,ect.

camrydriver111 Respektos! Only a few BITOG Legends can pull off 50 said:
Not really that hard when you find the right deals.
Plus depends on your change interval and sump size.

My Magnatec score (~40 qts) cost me around $10. If used in my Scion (4 qt sump) for a 5000 mile OCI, that is 50,000 miles worth of oil.

My 6 gallon (24 qt) e-pack for $4.50 will last only 12,000 miles in my brother in laws F150 (7 qt sump, 4,000 mile interval, uses 1 qt during the interval).

My free oil (12 qts Havoline HM, 15 qts QSUD) is lasting me ~20,000 miles in my truck (6 qt sump, 1 qt every 1500 miles).

That is around 90,000 miles worth of oil for less than $15. And that is only part of my stash.

My bike, I have 6 gallons of oil for $1.85/gallon, maybe 15,000 miles of oil with the short changes (2,500 miles) I do on it, even with a 3.3 qt sump

Good score.

My best score was May 2013 I got about 90 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife 10w40 for $0.33 per quart. Then anout 30 quarts of Chevron Supreme HM & Mobil Super for $0.50 per quart.

Also had gotten around 35 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra for $1 per quart.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Respektos! Only a few BITOG Legends can pull off 50,000 miles for $30.

My previous "haul" was 5 quarts of the SM Pennzoil Platinum Ultra in the blue and gray bottles. That was peanuts compared to 50,000 miles worth of oil or 38 quarts or almost 40 gallons of oil! Needless to say, no storage costs since the jugs fit in my garage and I keep the quarts in my bedroom closet! Hoarder lite status! I forgot, almost, to mention I got 2 more free oil changes taking me out to 60,000 more miles or Top Tier and beyond oil. The "haul" or Idemitsu has that HIGH VISCOSITY Index that doesn't diminish throughout a 5000 mile OCI which is the benchmark I used for the 60,000 more miles of carefree operation! My filter besides the Honda stock for the next two free oil changes will probably be the Fram Ultra although I haven't ruled out the Filtech Honda A01s since they are so close to stock!

Thanks and thanks to all who has posted their stories of large hauls. Keep them coming as this can be the stickied thread for everyone!

Last edited:
Prius, 10k OCI, 3.5 qts of 25cents/qt rotella 10w30... 50k miles for $4.37.
smile.gif

Never call.

I know, for ex, you are on the phone and they go to price verify and never come back and pass the phone to someone else who say they are regular price when you know they are not. Oh and a lot of times, they don't want to even buy it but just want to prevent someone like an actual customer, purchase them at that great price. It's called hating and it's an epidemic, culturally, in this piece of @$#%!

Originally Posted By: Artem

Never call.

Agreed. NEVER EVER tip the employees off.

I recently waltzed into an AAP and scooped up the remaining 20+ quarts of Quaker State for $0.45 a quart. The guy cashing me out was shocked. Had I called and he rang up that price, I have no doubt he would have jacked them to himself.

I walked out a happy customer with the employee crying his eyes out behind me.

Question: Should the calcium be anything to worry about regarding LSPI issues with big displacement turbos if this is going in a very small displacement turbo like a Honda? And how about the low moly, would it be of any concern if the VI is sufficiently high enough and the HTHS(V) has to be 2.6 being it is a 0w-20?

Last edited:
Ok so I gleaned that Calcium is just a detergent and dispersent and is common and is often found in conjunction with another detergent in Zinc and that in the right mix is harmless. The low moly is part of the SN certification and standard and is required for the SN seal. Apparently, with SN, too much moly is bad so low moly=deposit control. And Honda engine do not suffer fro LSPI anyway so it is irrelevant.

Edit: This is a bad [censored] oil. A Japanese oil for a Japanese car!

Last edited:
Can you imagine how fine the base oil must be, despite it's GRP III glory, but how good must the base oil be for a cst @ 100= 8.7, I mean even the Honda 0w-20 full syn doesn't have that and yes the Viscosity Index is real nice for something not overdosing in the moly like with the SM certification everyone went cra cra over. How do you like the low viscosity, high 100 cst GRP III oils with all the protection of cold starts and high heat and everything in between (literally), man!! This is better than the M1s and the PPs of the world! Keep in mind no polymer VIIs to deal with and do not need extended OCIs since going by MMS so no long drain oil needed!

Edit: Recollect, it was found that too much moly was bad (abrsive) and in ended up poisoning cat cons in diesel engine so I figure SN is a step up from SM. Now on to Dexos Ver 2 to see if it eclipses but not until I use up my new found stash up, and we're talking 10 gallons on roughly 60k miles! Of nothing but quality 0w-20 FULL SYN and flows super at low but also heat in terms of viscosity retension. Solid oil on deck for years?

Last edited:
Can you imagine how fine the base oil must be, despite it's GRP III glory, but how good must the base oil be for a cst @ 100= 8.7, I mean even the Honda 0w-20 full syn doesn't have that and yes the Viscosity Index is real nice for something not overdosing in the moly like with the SM certification everyone went cra cra over. How do you like the low viscosity, high 100 cst GRP III oils with all the protection of cold starts and high heat and everything in between (literally), man!! This is better than the M1s and the PPs of the world! Keep in mind no polymer VIIs to deal with and do not need extended OCIs since going by MMS so no long drain oil needed!

Who went "cra cra" over it and when?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Who went "cra cra" over it and when?

This was in its heyday so figure the latter portions of the time clip so around 2010. Recall all the boutique OEM oils had loads of moly in it and how that along with the Polmers they used in the VIIs helped it get some godly Viscosity Index in the 200s but later, it was researched that too much moly poisoned cat cons in diesel engines only in those that were long drain intervaled, recollect that? And subsequently, after 2010 when SN was release, it magically had low moly due to "deposit control" reasons..

Last edited:
This was in its heyday so figure the latter portions of the time clip so around 2010. Recall all the boutique OEM oils had loads of moly in it and how that along with the Polmers they used in the VIIs helped it get some godly Viscosity Index in the 200s but later, it was researched that too much moly poisoned cat cons in diesel engines only in those that were long drain intervaled, recollect that? And subsequently, after 2010 when SN was release, it magically had low moly due to "deposit control" reasons..

You mean on Bitog? You're not new here?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You mean on Bitog? You're not new here?

Not new to information here at all, in fact, I've been researching oil since 2006 when I discovered or started to find easter egss in these magical elixers and I've been hooked as a net researcher. Just like then when I found the oil of my choice or should I say aple of my eye, the mighty Motorcraft 5w-20, the true unicorn that could be found or 10 bucks and some change practically and man it ran like a elite grp iii SM of the time.

Edit: 9.4 gallons or 41,500 miles worth of oil! + 2 pad freebies and you got another 10 grand for a grand total of 51,500 miles in 1 fell swoop! in one annihilation of a kill and in 1 transaction. !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back