2015 Nissan Juke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my aunt bought a used 2015 Nissan Juke with 40K KM's on it, despite my recommendations for other models.

CVT & Turbo equipped.

Give me the low down so I can help her get the most out of it.

I'm thinking frequent CVT fluid changes, high quality synthetic oil for the Turbo and what else?

Last edited:
Switch CVT fluid to amsoil's equivalent and follow amsoil's OCI for that.

Any high quality synthetic should be good
smile.gif

I'm going to have to find a shop that has Amsoil where she lives because she is 5 hours away from me, otherwise I would do it for her.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Does the engine require synoil?

No but it has a Turbo and there isn't a chance in you know where am I going to use conventional, especially with someone that doesn't know how a turbo functions and best ways to prolong it's life.

I agree with running the synthetic oil in that Nissan. It's just me but I would not run another CVT fluid except the one from Nissan. Especially given that this vehicle is still under warranty. The OEM CVT fluid is made by Motul for Nissan. It is specific to that generation of CVT NS-3. I just don't see how a CVT fluid made by someone else can claim their fluid meets both NS-2 and NS-3 when in the manual of either vehicle is explicitly clear that the fluid that came in that vehicles CVT is specific to that generation of CVT. So I would question the ability of a fluid claiming it meeting both. If one were to run something different... Run one that at least only claims one or the other. If it meets only NS-3 then that would make much more sense to me. I would not do it myself. But at least that would be a better option given how specific the manual is about what fluid belongs in each generation of CVT.

Amsoil's multi vehicle formula (that isn't for CVT's) clearly meets a whole range of specifications that other fluid makers specifically say is different. Example: My Santa Fe said to use Diamond SP-III otherwise it would implode and there were stories of owners with imploded transmissions where they used something other than dealer fluid claiming to meet this standard and it clearly didn't. I used Amsoil's multi-vehicle ATF for 450,000 of the 535,000km and had 0 issues. This fluid covers all transmission types with very few exceptions. One of which is CVT's and Type "F" I believe. There are 0 stories of it imploding transmissions in mass amounts where it was used properly in a properly functioning transmission.

I'm not saying that you aren't right in this instance with the CVT but that I'm sure a company like Amsoil that depends on its reputation for its higher priced oil to sell would have taken this into account before saying that. They even have a product application guide on their site that takes into account all OE specifications and will tell you which product perfectly fits their requirements so it's not a guessing game.

That said if I can't find an Amsoil shop I will send her to the dealer for that part of it. The only reason I'm inclined to use Amsoil is the they specifically studied the Nissan CVT's and have tear down measurements, specifications and photos before/after and the cleanliness is superior to that of the Nissan Fluid. (Ok might be biased but honestly with the UOA's and personal experiences with their other products I believe them)

Last edited:
I say it's just me... I don't think it makes any sense IF they say it meets both NS-2 and NS-3. When the manufacturer CLEARLY states in the owners manual in either generation of CVT that the fluid is specific to that generation of CVT. There's no bridging that gap. No way anyone wants to try to slice it.

I think Amsoil makes great products. So does Valvoline. Valvoline claims their CVT fluid meets both NS-2 and NS-3. I would not believe that or try that either. It is a either or circumstance. One or the other. Not both.

If we were talking about a regular 4 speed automatic transmission which had a long history of being tolerant of differing fluids... Then it would be a much better circumstance. These CVTs are very finicky and quite peculiar in their operation, and fluid needs. In this circumstance I would not think it is a judicious decision to stray from the path too far. At minimum I would want a fluid that clearly claims it meets only NS-3 for that 2015 Nissan. At least that much would make a measure of sense to me.
But like I say... It's just me
smile.gif

I hope whoever tries whatever... That is works good for them. I don't want bad things to happen to their vehicles. That would just be nasty and trifling. And that is not who or what I want to be. I really hope that whatever anyone does works very good for them. That is a good thing at the end of the day. Only thing I hope is that IF there is a problem... Is for people to be forthright and tell everyone on here if it doesn't work out right and there is a major problem.

One thing I will say about Amsoil.. I really want to try the Signature Series 5w30 at some point in my Altima 3.5. It is $10.50 a qt at a local Carquest near me. That's cheaper than Mobil 1 annual protection at Wally World $12.50 a qt. I may well go by there and get that just for kicks. I really do think Amsoil is a real deal great product. And if I were to try a different CVT fluid. . Amsoil would be my #1 choice.

Last edited:
Amen my friend. Gonna get me that SS before too long. Almost bought it the day I saw it there at Carquest. I know Cronk is running the Amsoil CVT fluid in his Nissan. So far so good I'm gathering.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am sure it is NS-3 man. It's the latest generation of CVT.

Then I'm really interested to see how the Amsoil holds up.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am sure it is NS-3 man. It's the latest generation of CVT.

Then I'm really interested to see how the Amsoil holds up.
grin2.gif

I'm sure it will be fine. Like I've said in other NS-3 fluid threads, my main concern is if the vehicle is still under warranty and that warranty is important to you. The concern is the color of the CVT fluid. If you had a CVT issue and what drains out isn't blue like NS-3, you can guarantee things are going to get difficult. I don't know of an aftermarket CVT fluid that's blue.

Run the OEM CVT fluid only! the engineers picked that not some other one size fits all fluid. synthetic will be fine in the engine if equipped with a turbo.

Think it looks more frog or amphibian type. Wife has a 2013 Juke Nismo 6 speed manual. Get it checked out really well before warranty is up. Ours had a leaking turbo oil drain line, leaking timing cover and noisy strut bearing after some miles. All done under warranty. Always use synthetic oil to protect the turbo and timing chain. I always change at 5k miles. It gets a lot of highway miles. It is a really fun car and it's nice to be different sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Oilis_Oil
Run the OEM CVT fluid only! the engineers picked that not some other one size fits all fluid. synthetic will be fine in the engine if equipped with a turbo.

Amsoil engineered their fluid around the Nissan CVT's. They tore them apart after running it and found superior cleanliness and almost 0 wear compared to using the Nissan OE fluid in another of their test CVT's.

I would only advise her to use either fluid, heavily leaning on the Amsoil instead because I have knowledge of how great their products are and because they are about the same price up here for off the shelf and OE fluids in most cases.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Think it looks more frog or amphibian type. Wife has a 2013 Juke Nismo 6 speed manual. Get it checked out really well before warranty is up. Ours had a leaking turbo oil drain line, leaking timing cover and noisy strut bearing after some miles. All done under warranty. Always use synthetic oil to protect the turbo and timing chain. I always change at 5k miles. It gets a lot of highway miles. It is a really fun car and it's nice to be different sometimes.

I think the vehicle is ***** and it's often times referred to as a Nissan Puke but everyone is entitled to their likes/dislikes.
grin2.gif

That said I have encouraged her to use synthetic because of the Turbo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back