Can anyone recommend a small engine with a PTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend gave me a mid 90s MTD snow blower with tracks. I believe its a 10/28. He blew the motor, and Im having a hard time finding one to replace it. A snow king 10 hp by Tecumseh. I did find this briggs, but I think the shaft sizes are different, and the engine does not have great reviews. I dont mind if its a small step down in terms of power.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514215_200514215

The problem is the PTO drives the tracks, and the pto is usually opposite crankshaft rotation. Id need to flip the trans around if I went with a harbor frieght, i dont think any have the extra shaft.

Originally Posted By: Audios
The problem is the PTO drives the tracks, and the pto is usually opposite crankshaft rotation. Id need to flip the trans around if I went with a harbor frieght, i dont think any have the extra shaft.

IIRC it might be some funky half speed counter-rotating shaft?

There are ways to retrofit a regular engine on most but its not anything close to plug-n-play.

Originally Posted By: Rand

IIRC it might be some funky half speed counter-rotating shaft?

There are ways to retrofit a regular engine on most but its not anything close to plug-n-play.

Yup, runs off the cam.

Yep, the very rare 1990s, MTD dual counter rotating shaft Tecumseh Snow King engine. To me they're not worth a standard snowblower engine retrofit, but if there's a will, there's a way I suppose. With Tecumseh having been gone for 8yrs now or so, parts are becoming scarce. Finding a good plug-n-play engine is about impossible.

I've got a ~1999 model year Yard Man (MTD) 24" snowblower with a 7hp OHV Tecumseh Snow king that's got the dual output shafts. It's a standard wheeled model. I really don't understand why MTD did this, given they used both single and double shaft engines in that time frame as far as I know.

I believe there's a youtube video of someone who rigged up their own pulley and idler system to make a single shaft engine work on a snowbler chassis that was designed for 2-shaft.

I hear what you're saying in your thread title, but all engines have a PTO. Most have just one is all.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I called Briggs and they confirmed that the engine I linked in the OP is a dual PTO. So I ordered it and well see what happens. Ive seen the youtube vids where people flip the trans' to make the single shaft engines work, I was just hoping for a bolt on replacement. Otherwise thats going back and its gonna be a cheapie Chonda and trans flip.

I called Briggs and they confirmed that the engine I linked in the OP is a dual PTO. So I ordered it and well see what happens. Ive seen the youtube vids where people flip the trans' to make the single shaft engines work, I was just hoping for a bolt on replacement. Otherwise thats going back and its gonna be a cheapie Chonda and trans flip.

I didn't know this Briggs dual shaft replacement snow engine existed. The info and spec links to it are odd given some pics clearly show the additional output shaft and some don't.

A lot of coin for a 20+ year old MTD, but still a lot less than a new machine I guess.

You're going to want to get p/n's or sizes for the belt pulleys (for the engine shafts), given the OEMs may not come off without being cut off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
When you say "blew the motor", what exactly happened? Is the block cracked or the crank AFU? Maybe it's fixable?

Connecting rod blew a hole in the side of it, I wish it was fixable.

I really hope its a dual shaft, the literature is very confushing.

I really hope its a dual shaft, the literature is very confushing.

I hear you. I hate relying on hope as a strategy!
eek.gif
I searched the innerwebs for pics of this particular Briggs engine and there's only that one stock photo of the twin shaft I could find with that engine p/n. From the looks of it, it's not a snow engine, it's for a tiller and some other possible applications. Not a huge deal, it will be just minus some winterization shrouding and it will have an air cleaner, where a snow engine will not.

Keep us posted! If it's a go, it's nice to have this option.

The Briggs should be fine. I've re-powered many snowblowers for customers with Briggs snow engines, and they seem to be the only one that make the engine with the cam shaft PTO.

I read the reviews and some of them seem a bit over the top. I've never broken a starter rope on a snowblower, and I've worked on some from the 1960s with the original rope. My neighbor has broken 4 starter ropes in the last 3 years. He just pulls it like he wants to kill the thing, which isn't needed.

The only thing I suggest checking on the Briggs is make sure the little plastic oil fill caps on the sides are very tight. For whatever reason (maybe so people can get them off) they seem to ship a little loose from the factory. There have been cases where they have loosened and come off, allowing the oil to spill out and the engine to blow. Make sure they are tight and you won't have any problems. They do run very nice and have good power, it will be a big improvement over the old Tecumseh.

I looked up the model # of the engine. It is definitely one that CAN have the camshaft PTO, but I don't think the one you ordered will have it. It doesn't mention it anywhere in the description.

I really hate Northern Tool for stuff like this because they always use stock photos, so it is hard to see what you are getting.

I usually order from Smallenginewarehouse.com, smallenginesurplus.com, or smallenginesuppliers.com. They usually have a picture of the exact engine you are getting (PTO setup, etc) or will detail it in the description.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the engine you are getting will have the camshaft PTO, even though that particular engine model is one that can have it if ordered that way. I'd send it back and get one from the websites above, or search that exact model (12T132-0036-F8) on ebay until you find one that has the camshaft PTO.

Thanks for the help guys.I definitely think its going to be wrong as well, of course I was searching around last night, and searched twin shaft instead of dual shaft small engine, and brought up the exact freaking engine I need!!! Hopefully this will help people searching for the same engine or issues in the future. Still would probably be cheaper to go with a single shaft Chonda and flip the trans, but this will most likely be a bolt on solution, with a bunch more power.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/12S492-Troy.html?sc=17&category=1710810

I found one prime for 325 that Im going to go with tomorrow, the other engine is on the truck for delivery tomorrow to the shop so at least Ill know early.

Last edited:
Of course it was the wrong motor, so after a quick chat with Northern customer service they're paying the return shipping. Sad that the people who are supposed to be knowledgeable on something can't even give a correct answer and rush you off the phone. Whats even worse is that they probably can't even walk into the warehouse and check the motor for me, its probably all done remotely.

Yea those would work really well, like better than the one I ordered already! Cheaper too! Where were you a week ago lol thanks for digging those up that briggs snow is perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back