Can I use 80w90 instead of 75w90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 01 Corolla with a 5 spd transmission and I would like to change the transmission oil, the owner´s manual calls for a 75w90 GL4 oil and I can only find a 80w90 GL4 and a 75w90 GL5, I have read that GL5 should not be used in transmissions that call for GL4 oil so my only option is 80w90.

Would it be safe to use this oil? The coldest ambient temp here is 68 °F BTW

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Emanuel you Toyota sure shouldn't be burning much of that 75w90 but cold starts may be for the birds.
grin.gif

Use the GL4-I made the mistake of putting GL5 75W90 in the xB in my sig, synchronizers wouldn't work correctly, causing bad shifting. Went back to GL4, problem disappeared.

Emanuel you Toyota sure shouldn't be burning much of that 75w90 but cold starts may be for the birds.

From what I understand, gear oil and engine oil use different viscosity scales; an 80w gear oil is pretty close in thickness/pourability to a 30w engine oil. I wouldn't use gear oil in an engine, but its viscosity may not be a problem.

Originally Posted By: khittner

From what I understand, gear oil and engine oil use different viscosity scales; an 80w gear oil is pretty close in thickness/pourability to a 30w engine oil. I wouldn't use gear oil in an engine, but its viscosity may not be a problem.
I think he was joking

Originally Posted By: Emanuel
I have a 01 Corolla with a 5 spd transmission and I would like to change the transmission oil, the owner´s manual calls for a 75w90 GL4 oil and I can only find a 80w90 GL4 and a 75w90 GL5, I have read that GL5 should not be used in transmissions that call for GL4 oil so my only option is 80w90.

Would it be safe to use this oil? The coldest ambient temp here is 68 °F BTW

'Strange' that your 01 Toyota doesn't recommend GL5.
A 2004 does.

Anyway, go ahead with 80W90 that provides thicker MOFT for stronger components protection.
Shiftability is an 'unpredictable' animal though, never mind it's GL4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back