Refrigerator Performance Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
So I talked to a very experienced refrigerator repair guy and sent him the photos and explained what I was seeing. He said it's most likely the compressor getting weak and not building enough high side pressure, or it's a slow freon leak, which he said is pretty unlikely from his field experience. Probably so, since I have also noticed that I had to set the freezer temp setting a bit colder on the thermostat over the last 6 months to keep things frozen.

Cost of putting in a new compressor would be the same as just buying a new lower end fridge ($1000~$1500). He said the new refrigerators today are basically "disposable" if they have any major repair work needed. Plus he said a lot of the new fridges today come with a measly warranty, like only 1 year when before they were around 3 year warranties.

The reason it was cooling better with the ice block on the inlet side of the evaporator is because that ice ball helped as a cooling source, and it also allowed the expanding freon to cool the evaporator farther down the coils which helped the cooling efficiency by adding cold surface area.

It's been ~3 days since I melted the ice ball off the evaporator, and the fridge is slowly gaining some cooling performance (enough that the ice maker now works some times), probably because another ice ball is forming.

So guess it's time to go new fridge shopping. The guy I talked to said the two top best brands these days are Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool. Found a Whirlpool at Lowe's on close-out for $839 (was ~$1200), should probably just go buy it.

Some of these high end refrigerators are over $5000 ... crazy!

Try a SubZero. Some of those are 10-15k. They can look dated once they're 15-20 years old though and they still cost $1000+ to repair when they break down.

For your current fridge in-question: did you also clean out the dust bunnies from the condenser coil + condenser cooling fan?

No use dwelling on your evap core for cooling issues when your condenser fins are clogged.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
For your current fridge in-question: did you also clean out the dust bunnies from the condenser coil + condenser cooling fan?

No use dwelling on your evap core for cooling issues when your condenser fins are clogged.

Q.

Just cleaned the condenser fan and coils on my 20 y.o. whirlpool. I do that every year in Oct. It will probably last forever (eg. til I die)

Originally Posted By: Quest

Q.

It's been about a year since I did that, so good point and I will pull it out and clean the condenser coils and see if that helps. But keep in mind the performance changed dramatically by just removing the ice ball from the evaporator - nothing else was changed. Not so sure a dirty condenser would cause this effect, but worth a try to clean it and see.

Pulled the fridge out, removed the back cover to expose compressor and condenser. Condenser was pretty clean. High pressure side of the compressor wasn't very warm at all (line with red arrow) ... it should be so hot that you can't hold on to it.

So it still boils down to either low on freon or the compressor is going out (can't build up good pressure going into the condenser).

Repair guy said it's 99% chance it's the compressor going out since this fridge is 14 years old and the cooling performance has slowly degraded over the last few months. He said either issue would cost more to repair than a new similar fridge would cost. Laws dictate that they can't recharge freon unless they can actually find a leak, so it would be lots of trouble-shooting costs, and if either the condenser or evaporator coil were leaking it would be just as much to replace that as it would a compressor.

Like I said, refrigerators are basically disposable these days because the repair costs are insanely expensive. Time to go buy a new fridge.

If you are a DIY kind of guy, those compressors are not hard to change. Just need to have someone evacuate and service it.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
If you are a DIY kind of guy, those compressors are not hard to change. Just need to have someone evacuate and service it.

I looked on-line and a compressor is around $200~$250. Not sure if I could replace it myself, and the cost of having someone to come out to install and/or just charge it will probably be at least that much more. So I'd be in it for at least ~$500. I'm just going to buy the comparable new Whirlpool I found on sale for $839 (was $1200) and call it good. My old fridge is 14 years old so I don't really want to put $500 into it and then have more possible problems down the line.

It would be a good project fridge for someone who does all that stuff himself, as the condition of the fridge overall still looks new.

Found a YouTube video where a guy bought $35 worth of stuff off Amazon and recharged an old fridge which seemed to make it last quite awhile. Guess it would be a sure way to find out if it's a bad compressor or just a super slow freon leak. Wonder if it's worth the hassle of trying? Thing is, this new Whirlpool I found is a very good buy right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNL-cQAQ5Oc

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Where are you gonna find someone who is just gonna evacuate it?..That knows whatthey are doing. If you are going to that trouble, get someone to do the whole job right it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back