I'm Going to Do It, I'm putting on a FRAM ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to put an orange can (PH4386 Xtra-Guard) on the fiancee's 2008 Toyota RAV4 2WD w/ the 2.4L 4-cyl. She runs the OCI's @ 5000 miles, I think it will be just fine. As for oil.... likely Supertech 5W20 conventional... Motor has about 140,000mi on it right now. She usually does Wal Mart auto service oil changes so I'm guessing by putting Supertech into it I'm keeping it on diet of what it's already been getting most of the time. As for the orange can, strictly out of convenience for me w/ the black grippy grip thing on the end.

Bored today, day off and gloomy outside. Needed something to do and her car is due ...

You love her so much that you are putting a orange can on her vehicle??
smile.gif

Just kidding around. I think it will be more than fine. Those orange cans have looked really good for awhile on here. The 4386 is a touch smaller than my 7317. And those have looked really good.

Last edited:
It will be fine.
Many are used in automotive applications daily without drama.

OMG NO!!!!!!!
15.gif

Hahahaha. It will be fine. My dad uses them all the time on his beaters and never has a problem getting piles of miles out of them.

They are looking to be better made lately, but I still stepped up to the toughguard to get the Si adbv and the better media. Works pretty good on the Nissan.. I recall our Toyotas liked traditional Champ Labs; that would be a Mobil 1 EP filter, but that's too pricey for a fiancee
smile.gif

p.s: Does not there exist an English pronoun for fiancee?

Last edited:
After reading enough good things about the Fram ultra, I've started using that on 2 of my vehicles. For the longest time I was in the camp of "no way im using a Fram".

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
As for oil.... likely Supertech 5W20 conventional... Motor has about 140,000mi on it right now. She usually does Wal Mart auto service oil changes so I'm guessing by putting Supertech into it I'm keeping it on diet of what it's already been getting most of the time.

For some reason Walmart TLE, around here anyway uses Quaker State conventional for it's Pit Crew oil changes. That's good the Rav is FWD since it's older and has higher miles. Less to stuff to take a dump.

I'd also replace the PCV valve with an oem one from the dealer.

I ended up getting Quaker State conventional green jug on account of she told me it's always been given QS conventional. This way if it were to blow up next week for some reason I don't get blamed for switching brands
laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with that combo. I'd rock an OCOD on my Jeeps if it had a silicone ADBV. The Liberty really likes silicone.

I ended up getting Quaker State conventional green jug on account of she told me it's always been given QS conventional. This way if it were to blow up next week for some reason I don't get blamed for switching brands
laugh.gif

Just keep thinking like that and you are destined for a long marriage!
smile.gif

Orange can can do 5k. Don't worry about it.

And congrats.

I'm holding my nose, but I'm using a Fram C4P cartridge filter on the 1952 Chevy DeLuxe. They're about the size of an old cardboard quart motor oil can.

I'm getting them through Advance Auto Parts, for around $8 each... and since they don't stock them in stores, they ship it to me for free.

There's not a large number of choices here. So, when I can get a deal like this, I'll go with it.

Wal Mart Auto Service apparently likes to really torque the oil filter. Like to never got the old one off. And that was w/ a cap wrench. Made sure gasket came off with it, no other problems.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Or how about some Enco Uniflo … and what did that name mean

Quaker State Green Bottle . . . It's BITOGology
smile.gif

Wal Mart Auto Service apparently likes to really torque the oil filter. Like to never got the old one off. And that was w/ a cap wrench. Made sure gasket came off with it, no other problems.

Changed a few like that. Even ones that the gasket was put on dry. One was so bad that we got the filter off and the rubber gasket was literally baked onto the engine block and it had to be chiseled off. Was a Chrysler 2.5L and it had been on there for some time.

Last edited:
She usually does Wal Mart auto service oil changes so I'm guessing by putting Supertech into it I'm keeping it on diet of what it's already been getting most of the time.

That's a common misconception. Every WM TLE I've seen has a brand name oil in the tanks and uses Quaker State conventional for the "Pit Crew' oil change. As far as I can tell, you will only get SuperTech if you ask for it.

Once you screw on a fram.....Your car goes BAM! Lol....

Kiding i know many that use fram with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back