Has anyone here shot on film this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is film?
15.gif

I also have not used film in 15 years. but, riddle me this: On "The Walking Dead" they have made a point to use a Polaroid camera in the last two episodes. (paid promo spot, I'm sure) Apparently they are making a minor come-back with a digital version of the Polaroid that captures your pictures digitally, but allows you to print on the spot.

You can still buy Polaroid film that works in classic Polaroid cameras. Never went out of production. The current Polaroid company has nothing to do with the company Dr Land founded. Also Fuji (Japan) makes a similar technology camera and film.

Havent used film in well over a decade now. Sometimes I miss it and the simplicity of film.

Yeah sure, with digital you can take a unlimited photos at zero cost but then you end up with a unlimited photos to go through, sort through, delete, save, ya da ya da and then, hopefully the day might come and you get a print of one.

Film, used to take photos, send it out, get photos back in the mail, done, no more thought..

Good and bad to both formats. I doubt I could have got the photos I did of the eclipse this year with film, came out awesome.

Last edited:
When I was young (in the 70s), I got started with photography. Saved up for my Canon, then found out how much glass, film, and processing set one back. I was forced to be economic in my film use. I got pretty good. Started buying 100' rolls of film, doing my own processing, and got sloppy with my shots. Ignored some basics just because I could take a dozen shots of a subject instead of carefully composing a single solid shot. Corrective measures were taken.

20 plus years later when I went to digital, same thing. Instead of 90-120 shots from an event, 600-700 shots on CF cards to wade through.

I have used several gallons of Kodak D76 this year. I'd be interested to know, distance wise, how much Tri-X 400(35mm and 120), Tri-x 320(a little 220, mostly 4x5), and Ilford FP4+(all formats) I've used this year. I've also used plenty of Fuji Velvia 50 in all formats this year.

Probably the only thing new for me this year is I've warmed up somewhat again to color negative film in the form of Kodak Ektar. Ultimately, lower processing costs and easier scanning relative to E-6(and Velvia specifically) are winning me over, although nothing can replace Velvia.

I've also worked in several others along the way. I still use Kodak Portra as appropriate-usually 160-although it's certainly not a mainstay film for me. I was going to stock up on Fuji 160NS in 220-the last 220 film in production-but unfortunately I missed the boat as it was discontinued earlier this year. I've been dabbling some this year in lithography films in 4x5, but get a bit impatient with them. I'll use Kodak TMAX occasionally, but overall am not a fan. Fuji Provia has its place for me, but it is not a mainstay film.

As hard as Kodak tried, there was never an Ektachrome that really won me over although E100G was a decent enough film. If they ever make it to market, I will give it a fair chance.

I like film. Have 2 TLRs and a few old film SLR cameras. Usually use them when I go on vacations. Development has become a hassle though since it has basically become mail order only. I shot a few rolls with my Spotmatic on my vacation to Utah. Haven't developed them though. I get a lot of attention when I pull out the TLRs. I hope film and the few places left that does development doesn't completely disappear.

I'm planning on handing out a few point-and-shoot cameras loaded with B&W film to guests at my sister's wedding in December. Will probably be using Tri-X or Tmax 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back