Freaking out about my ATF dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm a bit freaking out here. Trying to read my dipstick.. I was checking it periodacally to make sure I didn't get any leaking after my ATF and all was good. After the 1st day I noticed it wasn't fully hitting the hot mark so I added and I thought I was good (after re-checking).

Here are some questionse because I don't understand this.

1. Every time I pull it out to check it and do the first wipe before reinserting, the fluid is all dark and black and it's everywhere on it, but pulling it back out I can clearly see bright red fluid at the hot mark? Why is this like this?

2. I checked today and noticed something, after I reinsert after wipe and take it out, the rear side of the dipstick where the cold mark is almost the whole dipstick is covered in fluid while on the hot mark I can see red fluid up until 1/4 full of the hot mark. Is this normal? This is what got me freaking out here.

Could I possibly have had to much fluid all this time? Surely my transmission would have acted weird or major slip? Every time I put the pedal down it accelerated normally.

1. I think dipsticks can become somewhat magnetic and attract small ferrous particulate from the fluid
2. Believe the lower one. The side with fluid all the way up is getting smeared inside the tube somewhere.

1) the inside of the tube is dirty for some weird reason
2) make sure fill/dipstick tube isn't cracked

Are you checking it while running, after shifting through all gears?

Also, I find on most cars, the only reliable reading is starting with a stone cold engine (transmission). After driving, there's so much fluid splashed around, it drains down the tube and prevents the dipstick from reading accurately. That may be what you are experiencing. Some units may not be as susceptible to this, but it's worth being aware.

Quote:
Could I possibly have had to much fluid all this time?

The total system capacity is on average about 10qts. Unless you went wild, you can't have added so much as to cause a problem.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Are you checking it while running, after shifting through all gears?

Also, I find on most cars, the only reliable reading is starting with a stone cold engine (transmission). After driving, there's so much fluid splashed around, it drains down the tube and prevents the dipstick from reading accurately. That may be what you are experiencing. Some units may not be as susceptible to this, but it's worth being aware.

Quote:
Could I possibly have had to much fluid all this time?

The total system capacity is on average about 10qts. Unless you went wild, you can't have added so much as to cause a problem.

Yeah as stated in manual, operating temp, engine idling, shift to all gears then go back to neutral.

I added around the same amount that came out. Re-filled the empty new ATF bottle and came out to about 4 full and bit for a fifth one. Originally I had 4 bottles but 4 wasn't enough had to go back to dealer and I have put maybe 300ml more from the fifth bottle. And that's when after the check some bright red fluid I could see in the hot mark.

I noticed in the service manual to check it they don't explicitly say to wipe dipstick and reinsert but I suppose that is already understood since a dipstick you should do that.

Last edited:

What does the "average" ATF system capacity have to do with the capacity or ATF level of a specific vehicle? I help service two different vehicles that each have a total system capacity of 7.x quarts. Adding 10 quarts would cause a problem.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew

What does the "average" ATF system capacity have to do with the capacity or ATF level of a specific vehicle? I help service two different vehicles that each have a total system capacity of 7.x quarts. Adding 10 quarts would cause a problem.

Right. In the service manual the 06 Tucson capacity is 7.8L . But that's a flush, not a change.

I did put back the same ammount of bottles. At least 4 bottles I was sure the fifth one I had some spillage and added about 300ml.

Last edited:
I found the most reliable way for me to check ATF is to drive the car about half an hour. Park it on perfectly level ground and let it idle at least three minutes, pull the stick and read it. Reinserting the stick and reading it again and again throws the reading off. I check mine in Park, which is what the service manual states for my automatic transmission vehicles.

I'm not sure why you're seeing dark and black fluid. Fortunately that is not something I've encountered. If I did I would drop the pan replace the filter refill the unit take a short drive and do a good line exchange of the fluid.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I found the most reliable way for me to check ATF is to drive the car about half an hour. Park it on perfectly level ground and let it idle at least three minutes, pull the stick and read it. Reinserting the stick and reading it again and again throws the reading off. I check mine in Park, which is what the service manual states for my automatic transmission vehicles.

I'm not sure why you're seeing dark and black fluid. Fortunately that is not something I've encountered. If I did I would drop the pan replace the filter refill the unit take a short drive and do a good line exchange of the fluid.

Its a Hyundai, I don't think they have pans that are removable. Its setup like a Honda with the magnetic drain plug only.

As others said check the level when its cold and parked on level ground. You may need a fluid extractor to remove some ATF.

When I had my 98 sienna I overfilled the tranny by a litre a few different times and had no issues. If its slightly overfilled you are probably OK.

Last edited:
Did you just change your ATF fluid? If so sometimes you get air bubbles in the system when you do this and they work themselves out over a few days, causing the fluid level to drop at the dipstick.

If you're gonna check in cold, make sure you also know what the hot reading when idling is. They can be drastically different. I probably have 1-2" difference between hot and cold. But they are always at those same 2 levels. So I can check either way. I too would be concerned about black or white stuff. The dip stick should only show red or brownish red fluid. Black fluid is long past changing. A mixture of those colors is baffling as they could represent air, water, anti-freeze, power steering fluid, and/or motor oil leakage.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew

It is really quite obvious. If he put in 1/2 qt. More, as he was intimating, it would not be fatal. Not rocket science.

I always check the fluid cold (engine shut-off over night cold) on level ground, and always the way the manual tells you to check it. Some will require the vehicle to be off, some will require the vehicle to be running in neutral, some will request cycling the shifter from Park to Reverse/Drive/Neutral gears etc. before checking. Some can't be checked without a special measuring tool and a temperature chart.

I have never had luck checking it "hot" because if the transmission isn't fully hot as verified by fluid temperature reading then who knows.

As for the slime on the dipstick this normal. My Santa Fe used to always have a nice coating of gunk on the dipstick on the first pull out, and then none on the second pull. It lasted no problem to 535,000km. It's when the fluid is dark and smells burn't or the transmission is shifting strangely that you might have problems to worry about.

Last edited:
Perfect case example of why there doesn't need to be dipsticks in vehicles......

Originally Posted By: CKN
Perfect case example of why there doesn't need to be dipsticks in vehicles......

Totally disagree. Even in "Filled for life" transmissions they often spec a change interval for severe service. (Like fleet or towing)
What happens if a leak develops should one drive to the dealer and have it checked all the time?
What happens if you have to drop the pan due to hitting something on the road and need to refill how is that done?

Dipsticks are cheap and the transmission will always need a fill port so they can just put a stick on the end of it for the $1.00 I'm sure it costs them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: CKN

Totally disagree. Even in "Filled for life" transmissions they often spec a change interval for severe service. (Like fleet or towing)
What happens if a leak develops should one drive to the dealer and have it checked all the time?
What happens if you have to drop the pan due to hitting something on the road and need to refill how is that done?

Dipsticks are cheap and the transmission will always need a fill port so they can just put a stick on the end of it for the $1.00 I'm sure it costs them.

As someone who pulled a trailer coast to coast-I just followed the severe service and had it changed at 50,000 miles. A dipstick is not needed in a sealed unit.

You other scenarios are very rare. Thankfully-with the specialized transmission fluids all manufacturers are moving towards-sealed transmissions will be the norm.

This way shade tree mechanics won't overfill or put the wrong fluid in. The OP-will all due respect is a perfect example-for the case I am making.

Last edited:
I will agree to disagree.
cheers3.gif

I have been working on a 2015 Altima; it has no dipstick.
I would like someone explain to me why Nissan (Honda and others) took them away.
Bunch of .... if you ask me.

"Level car. Temp has to be xxxx degrees within a billionth of a degree. And you need a ridiculous $$ scanner of some kind. Remove level plug. Has to drip out."

Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back